OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 15.04 vs. Fedora 21 Tests: Linux Sweeps The Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 15.04 vs. Fedora 21 Tests: Linux Sweeps The Board

Phoronix: OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 15.04 vs. Fedora 21 Tests: Linux Sweeps The Board

With having a new Apple Mac Mini in our testing labs this week, I ran some basic benchmarks comparing Mac OS X 10.10.2 to Ubuntu 15.04 to Fedora 21 in a few different configurations.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. The supposedly platform-dedicated OS doesn't win a single benchmark against a completely "generic" one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
      Interesting. The supposedly platform-dedicated OS doesn't win a single benchmark against a completely "generic" one.
      Um they didnt measure the perceived quality of user interface or launch animations of dock icons or the smoothness of animation when maximizing windows. Those are the most important Os X features. Oh and blurred fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
        You don't need to win benchmarks to run Safari and browsing Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
          You don't need to win benchmarks to run Safari and browsing Facebook.
          you don't need to spend twice as much as a normal PC to do that either. The point is, a lot of these tests aren't just a 5% performance difference. In some of these tests, its over a 50% difference. That's huge, for the same hardware.

Comment

C-Ray is another test that still favors GCC.
            Is bad wording imo doesn't this imply that the benchmark was active and not the GCC was being better/Clang was slacking? English is my second language and maybe my German heritage makes me over interpreting here, but for me this sentence seems wrong. Was this intentional?

Comment

Matches my experience

Exactly my experience with OSX versus Arch on a 2013 Macbook Retina. Linux was very noticeably faster at all tasks.

Comment

no big news

mac osx is slow very slow

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  you don't need to spend twice as much as a normal PC to do that either. The point is, a lot of these tests aren't just a 5% performance difference. In some of these tests, its over a 50% difference. That's huge, for the same hardware.
                  That PostMark result is almost unbelievable. Ubuntu 15.04 is almost 4000% faster than OS X on same hardware?!

Comment

I would have liked to see Fedora 22 vs. Ubuntu 15.04, since they're both still development versions.

Comment

Working...
                    X