Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux vs. OS X Performance Tests Should Be Run Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about price per dollar spent on hardware

Comment

Memory management

I find OS X memory management absolutely appalling! I needlessly uses swap and do other weird and wonderful things. That's actually why I switched from Mac OS X to Fedora on my Macbook Pro because memory management sucks so much (and I won't even start with HFS+...).

So, am I right in thinking it's crap or is it just an impression? Could a benchmark evaluate that?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        how about price per dollar spent on hardware
        Performance per dollar? I'm not sure what you mean by price per dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Let's talk seriously, Michael.

2) OpenGL tests because most people who use Linux do NOT play games or play very simple games
          Were you ironical here?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            you can't compare start up speed across OS-s for programs that depend on UI libraries
            example VLC uses QT so it would start way faster under KDE then under GNOME or OSX
            Yes you can compare. And fact of the matter - Linux allows you to switch between KDE, Gnome, etc. It's strength of Linux.
            I have atm on my PC, both, KDE and XFCE, I can run any one of them at will.

If most of the programs in the world suddenly become QT and Mac has issues running them - it's Mac's problem, not Linux.

Comment

I am interested to see how fast you can format OS_X installation in comparison to Windows formating from Linux

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Yes you can compare. And fact of the matter - Linux allows you to switch between KDE, Gnome, etc. It's strength of Linux.
                I have atm on my PC, both, KDE and XFCE, I can run any one of them at will.

If most of the programs in the world suddenly become QT and Mac has issues running them - it's Mac's problem, not Linux.
                Well, if you are booted to a KDE desktop, QT is already loaded in memory. If you're booted up to a Gnome desktop then QT will have to load at application start time. It's not really a problem, it's just not a comparable condition.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Performance per dollar? I'm not sure what you mean by price per dollar.
                  I'd be interested in dollars per fps.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post
                    Yeah ok, I understand now. Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post
                      I sort of had/have that support... OpenBenchmarking.org can query realtime prices of products via Amazon.com, but sadly with some PC components, the reported product strings by the OS don't match what Amazon matches it to.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X