Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD's Custom HTTP Web Server Is Set To Replace Nginx

Phoronix: OpenBSD's Custom HTTP Web Server Is Set To Replace Nginx

With the upcoming release of OpenBSD 5.7 in May, nginx is being removed from the OpenBSD base package set in favor of using OpenBSD's own, home-grown web-server by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

R.I.P. "502 bad gateway".

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      R.I.P. "502 bad gateway".
      Yup. Won't be missed.

Comment

That's pretty nice but I see here https://github.com/reyk/httpd/issues/20 that they won't support regex for rewrite

Comment

Maybe they should just used hiawatha

Comment

Sounds normal: By the time things work, someone wants to do a rewrite

Comment

Why were their changes rejected upstream? I can't think of a better way to motivate someone to create a fork/competitor than to reject their changes that improve your code on their platform.

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
                Why were their changes rejected upstream?
                probably because nobody wants huge patch of ifdef openbsd.
                Originally posted by elapsed View Post
                I can't think of a better way to motivate someone to create a fork/competitor than to reject their changes that improve your code on their platform.
                featureless product for niche os can't compete

Comment

There's nothing great about openbsd's new partially functional web server. It's one of many blunders made by horrible BSD (OpenBSD) project management. First they decide to create strlcpy which broke many 3rd party applications all because they hate the GNU project's strcpy, then they create arc4random which does nothing but creates so much overhead, make things even slower and break things even more, then worse they removed loadable kernel modules making it difficult to reload drivers into the kernel making the kernel bloated, then they created their own version of SSL (LibreSSL) thus less effort on the actual OS and claiming that it's smaller and "cleaner" then OpenSSL while at the same time, OpenSSH is becoming bloated, insecure and contain SSH1 (obsolete and insecure) and finally now they have "httpd" or should I say httpdead cause the future of this piece of crap together with openBSD is dead.

Originally posted by Reyk Floater
                  Today I woke up with sorrow and realized that I committed a web server last night
                  Yes even deep down in an OpenBSD developer's insane mind, they know their decisions and actions are nothing but lunacy. This very comment posted on twitter by Reyk Floater using his MacBook Pro is representative of all OpenBSD developers nothing gives you the reason why you should never use OpenBSD or BSD for that matter. Reyk Floater is one of a kind in an extra-ordinary way. He was a Linux wifi developer at one point and help create the ath5k driver for Linux but was brainwashed by Theo the Rat into porting it to openbsd renaming it ath. Then Floater sued Linux claiming they "stole" his ath driver and replaced his copyright with their own (even though he didn't wrote the whole ath5k driver). What a loser. Luckily the courts decided in Linux's favor and thus Linux today still have the ath5k driver and it's now much better then openbsd's ath and athn driver plus ath5k doesn't need a proprietary firmware while ath and athn does making openbsd less free then Linux.

Originally posted by Reyk Floater
                  Simplicity:
                  -Serve static web pages
                  -Support FastCGI
                  -Do (proper)TLS
                  -Provide "core" features like directory listing, logging, basic auth
                  @pal666 you hit the nail in the coffin when you said a featureless product on a niche OS can't complete. Openbsd's httpd is featureless (doesn't have anything that sets it apart from other web servers). The same goes for openbsd itself (Yes, openbsd not OpenBSD because BSD zealots have no right to determine how we spell the name of their OS). Actually, I disagree when you said openbsd is a niche OS because a niche OS tends to be good at something compared to something else. Openbsd is not good at anything compared to Linux or even FreeBSD or even Windows, openbsd cannot fit into anything niche. Openbsd is not a niche OS, it is a USELESS OS.

-Serve static web pages
                  -Provide "core" features like directory listing, logging, basic auth
                  Serious, Floater, you call that "features", thats what web servers ever since the beginning of time do.

-Support FastCGI
                  Floater you better start taking your meds. No one uses FastCGI today.

-Do (proper)TLS
                  Normal people prefer using (GNU)TLS or OpenSSL. Also did you mean LibreSSL? Sorry but obviously, your crappy implementation of SSL doesn't compare with OpenSSL. I prefer GNUTLS, as it's safer and more powerful.

Reyk Floater and openbsd go home.

Comment

Someone really, really, viciously hates OpenBSD... I guess it's not without reason, but still...

Comment

Working...
                    X