Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign LINUX: Running Unmodified Linux Binaries On Windows

Phoronix: Foreign LINUX: Running Unmodified Linux Binaries On Windows

Foreign LINUX is a new open-source project serving as a dynamic binary translator and Linux system call interface emulator. Foreign LINUX is designed to allow unmodified Linux binaries to run on Windows without any system changes or special drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WINE in reverse! They should call it ENIW.

Comment

Sooooo...... can this run any real* linux applications?

*(music players, video players, office programs, ect, ect.)

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
        WINE in reverse! They should call it ENIW.
        .tsaf yllaer driew yllaer teg osla d'ti ,suoiralih eb d'taht hguoht nevE

Comment

Cool project, if MT would work much more apps could be used. I mainly use putty in case i need to access Linux from a Windows box, i do not rely on any specific Linux binary, but the way it is done is certainly interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            .tsaf yllaer driew yllaer teg osla d'ti ,suoiralih eb d'taht hguoht nevE
            It would also break acronym, "Emulator Not Is Wine".

Comment

Imagine running a linux host, with a Windows VM, running Foreign LINUX, which is running wine, which runs cygwin, to run a program that runs natively on both OSes. I can't think of a better way for a computer to actually re-write the kernel so it can render a middle finger pointed at you on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Imagine running a linux host, with a Windows VM, running Foreign LINUX, which is running wine, which runs cygwin, to run a program that runs natively on both OSes. I can't think of a better way for a computer to actually re-write the kernel so it can render a middle finger pointed at you on the screen.
                You right!

Some 10 years ago, one colleague mine have a mac pro...
                He used MAcOS above a vm in parallels with windows, and above cigwin to use gcc to compile the projects...

Well...He declared him self like a "smart guy", BUT the reality is that he was a "brain dead guy"...
                the MAC pro almost stop at every processing needed...I never saw an "amount of stupidity" together in the same room and worst from the same person, from the people who I am used to work.

3 weeks ago, I find a VETERAN SysAdmin with problems with the thousands of KVM machines he was Runing..

He asked me for help, I said OK.

I lost almost 3 Hours, trying to find the problem he said exist, and in the end, the problem was behind the keyboard or...HIMSELF...he was using a MS windows computer to administrate Unix Like machines...

This is the first feeling that you have... a newbie starting to work... Of course, when you use a Windows machine to deal with Linux environment, a lot of things can go bad...the question that I made to myself was...
                "Those this guys, have EVER been a Linux SysAdmin"?

You can try but you can never achieve the same productivity, in Windows, administrating or programing to Linux computers...they are different!

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  How about "Eniw's Not Inverted Wine"?

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                    Then we should write the acronym in Arabic since Arabic is written from right to left so people would naturally read it without breaking the meaning: وإنأ

Comment

Working...
                    X