Whoops: FreeBSD's Random Number Generator Has Been Broken For Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops: FreeBSD's Random Number Generator Has Been Broken For Months

Phoronix: Whoops: FreeBSD's Random Number Generator Has Been Broken For Months

It was fixed and subsequently reported yesterday that the FreeBSD kernel has been subject to a faulty random number generator for the past four months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A critical piece of information from this article is that the bug only affects -current users. No released version of FreeBSD has been impacted.

Comment

Only affects CURRENT.

Michael,

This feature was broken in the CURRENT branch, which is where things are expected to break. It does not affect any RELEASE version of FreeBSD. You may want to make that clear, as currently it just looks like a clickbait title.

Comment

Only in development

It is worth noting that this never affected any version of FreeBSD that has been released. The bug only affected users running on the bleeding edge "-current" FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Whoops: FreeBSD's Random Number Generator Has Been Broken For Months

It was fixed and subsequently reported yesterday that the FreeBSD kernel has been subject to a faulty random number generator for the past four months...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...BSD-RNG-Broken
          It would be nice if you mentioned this was in 11-CURRENT, aka: development branch, and not in the -STABLE / -RELEASE branch. As it is, it's just link / flame bait. 4 months is a bit long, in my opinion, to have that sort of bug even for a development branch without anyone knowing, but it is development and someone caught it.
          Last edited by rhavenn; 18 February 2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

This only affects CURRENT.

BTW, this only applies to current, not stable.

Did I mention this is only applicable to current?

Oh, before I forget - this is only a current problem.

Comment

There is definitely a pattern going on in this thread so far!

Hey Michael, apparently this bug only affects the "current" branch (which is apparently not what people are currently using)! Eventually, FreeBSD users will use the current branch even though it will no longer be "current".

Apparently, FreeBSD is like Android; no one runs the "current" release!

Comment

Just in case someone missed it. It only affects -current.

Comment

No... No... NO!!!!

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  This only affects CURRENT.

BTW, this only applies to current, not stable.

Did I mention this is only applicable to current?

Oh, before I forget - this is only a current problem.
                  Sheesh.. let me spell it out. This only applies to CURRENT.

(just trying to make things clear and use a very unclear title at the same time ... do I win?)

Comment

Geez guys, now how am I going to win all of those luck based games?

Comment

Working...
                    X