HP To Launch Linux++ Operating System Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promo video

Is it just me or does their promo video say a whole lot of nothing?

Great, you're going to use fibre and memristors in a a software defined datacenter 'cloud in a box.' So how does that translate into planes communicating with each other?? <sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      I saw new possibilities for:
      financial scam mechanisms like high frequency trading
      handling even more personal data for harvesting and processing real-time

Or is it just me...
      Nah! You forgot that it is in the hand of the "good ones"! So don't worry. Torture is okay cause the good ones do it. Right? Right?!!
      (though it rather needs a vomiting smiley here)

But then, HP is an empire built on ink, so it might not work out. They got expertise in selling pricey inks. And maybe Meg Whitman will kill all this off anyway like so many things.
      I wonder why they try to reinvent the wheel. Like they had resources to do so. Hardware from HP became shoddy the last 10 years...
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        I bet Linus will sue them for the name...
        It is kind of a goofy name. But I am pretty sure that it IS Linux with HP's patches applied. I'm fairly sure that I've seen some of HP's Linux patches go by on the kernel list.

All sorts of companies ship Linux plus patches. They usually call it Linux plus their company name. I don't know why they didn't just call it HP Linux.

Comment

OMG I just watched that video. It is pure bullshit-buzzword-bingo. No substance maybe besides a little bit spread near the end. The best thing are the planes. Yes, connect every device with every other device, like a big SKYNET (whoops) and then see somebody write a malware for it. Kaboom. It will be raining airplanes.
          Reminds me of our all beloved Angie "Neuland" talking about the "internet of things". Horrible imagination.

And yes: "quantum leap" usage = ludicrous.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Trademark violation?

Linux++? I am sure that is not a trademark violation at all! :-)

Comment

The Onion already reported on this 2 years ago:
              HP announced they're making a new push into cloud computing and that they totally know what that is.Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUALi...

Comment

somehow i also came across this two years ago. not specifically the video but i remember there was some hype that later computers would use optical fiber and argon lasers to transmit data.

either way i imagine these computers will be stupidly too expensive for at least the next four years and the operating system code required to run one will probably be implemented by linux flavors and windows by then.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Another company who fundamentally "reinvents" something, with the obligatory "quantum leap". It always makes me laugh that they obviously don't understand that a quantum leap is the tiniest leap possible.
                  Well FYI, "quantum leap" is not technical jargon, it's the colloquial meaning (yes it's misleading but not wrong).
                  According to Google Dictionary, the non-technical meaning is "a huge, often sudden, increase or change in something".
                  According to Wiktionary, the meaning is metaphorical -- "an abrupt change", referring to the sudden, non-continuous change that occurs in a real quantum leap.
                  Therefore, it basically means that their improvent is so big and sudden that it isn't or is but doesn't seem continuous/incremental anymore. Well, that might as well be (and IMHO is most likely) commercial glorification though.

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
                    Is it just me or does their promo video say a whole lot of nothing?

Great, you're going to use fibre and memristors in a a software defined datacenter 'cloud in a box.' So how does that translate into planes communicating with each other?? <sarcasm>
                    Thus far "the machine" sound like a huge marketing hype based on HP Moonshots with better interconnect technology.
                    Granted, if HP actually manages to get memristors into production at a reasonable price, this will indeed change the computing landscape, but HP is not known for being particularly innovative company (Even though I rather like their servers and workstations and used many of them).

Time will tell, I guess.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

What comes to my mind here, when I see this, is PA-RISC, the Alpha, and the truly innovative HP of the nineties, not the dull, boring, cust-cotting and crappy HP of the noughties. AFAIK HP has a lot of experience developing vaporware for non existant hardware, so, let's see how far this will go...

Comment

Working...
                      X