Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Git Yields Performance Improvements For Newer AMD GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa Git Yields Performance Improvements For Newer AMD GPUs

Earlier this week I published some benchmark results showing Mesa 10.5-devel delivering Intel performance changes compared to Mesa 10.3 as found in Ubuntu 14.10. The next logical step to this testing is looking at the AMD Radeon graphics results for the R600g and RadeonSI drivers using multiple graphics cards while seeing what the open-source Radeon Linux driver has to offer if upgrading past what's shipped in Ubuntu 14.10 and other recent Linux distribution releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does llvm3.6 make any difference at this point? I can't build it on Arch for some reason, so I wonder if I should just try harder

Comment

I've been running the latest LLVM code from git and I follow the commit log on RSS there's been lots of optimisations lately, I unfortunately don't know enough about the backend to know if they relate to gfx, compute or both

Neither of my systems are powerful enough to really be decent gaming machines these days anyway (6630M & 8330)

Comment

AMD is the best

Mesa rules. Being able to play Borderlands 2 on full details (1366x768) with AMD 7640G (Archlinux) is awesome

Kudos to all the devs

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
          Does llvm3.6 make any difference at this point? I can't build it on Arch for some reason, so I wonder if I should just try harder
          use lcarlier repo or grab his PKGBUILD from the sources folder

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            use lcarlier repo or grab his PKGBUILD from the sources folder
            No such repo on Arch unofficial repos list. Can you post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
              No such repo on Arch unofficial repos list. Can you post a link?
              To be inserted above [testing]:
              Code:
              [mesa-git]
              Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch
              Should be included in the wiki list though?

Comment

Unless I missed something, how come the R9 290 wasn't tested? That's a different architecture from the 270X.

But if they're similar enough that the 290/290X gets the same performance difference as the 270X, then that's really awesome news.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Unless I missed something, how come the R9 290 wasn't tested? That's a different architecture from the 270X.

But if they're similar enough that the 290/290X gets the same performance difference as the 270X, then that's really awesome news.
                  Seems like Micheal picked those not per generation or revision, but per year chip appear: four cards tested here and all those have chips from different year - 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
                    To be inserted above [testing]:
                    Code:
                    [mesa-git]
                    Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/$repo/$arch
                    Should be included in the wiki list though?
                    Yea, found it, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X