X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiberiusDuval
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    It isn't a question of how they feel it is a question of who is responsible for the suicides. You can't blame anybody but the person that did the deed. Maybe you haven't been around long but over the years I've seen the suicides of people that work at the same place I do. Believe me there is nothing the owners of the facility could do and they certainly weren't responsible.
    So for example bully harassing people is not responsible when driving someone over the edge, as blame is attached solely for people driven over the edge by bully's actions. Oh yeah nice worldview.

You might try looking a little closer at those documentaries. There is always an agenda, sometimes good sometimes evil. Still the simple reality is no matter how bad the conditions, those conditions did cause somebody to jump or whatever. As noted these are not slaves as such they are free to leave anytime they want.
    Freedom to go and die in gutter? Yes that is kind of freedom.

Leave a comment:

• TiberiusDuval
    replied
    They don't have to spend those hours there.
    So true, having money to buy food and other necessities is just optional. Yes in Western/Northern Europe having to work is somewhat optional (if you like living with 300 euros of disposable income per month after paying apartment rents, in country where buying some groceries for two/three days costs about 20 euros.)-

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    wizard69

Wow! Just wow!

You're so fucking clueless, it's not even funny anymore.

1. When corporations say China is "too expensive" for them, what they really mean is that there are places where stuff can be produced for even less, leaving them with higher profit$.
    Sometimes it means that, sometimes it mend keeping production viable.

2. Often, Chinese workers work 15 hour workdays, 7 days a week. If anyone is whiny, it's you. Comparing those working conditions to ours in the US and Europe is truly pathethic and dumb.
    Obviously you know nothing about working conditions in the USA or for that matter in the rest of the world.
    3. Breaks in China are considerably shorter than in the US or Europe.
    What does breaks have to do with it? By the way have you looked at the labor laws lately.
    4. The average Chinese factory worker earns $1.8US/hour. The average, partially subsidized lunch (provided there is a restaurant on the premise), costs $1US already.
    Hell it use to be that companies in the USA would subsidize an in house restaurant but the IRS put a stop to that. Frankly a lunch these day will easily go for $10 a day just about what a worker makes in the average factory in the USA.
    5. To claim that working conditions have nothing to do with how people feel is the most ill-informed garbage I ever had to read. Are you a fucking robot?
    It isn't a question of how they feel it is a question of who is responsible for the suicides. You can't blame anybody but the person that did the deed. Maybe you haven't been around long but over the years I've seen the suicides of people that work at the same place I do. Believe me there is nothing the owners of the facility could do and they certainly weren't responsible.
    6. If you broke your arm on premise in a western European country, you'd be granted sick leave and the possibility to see a doctor. If the same happened to a Chinese factory worker, he'd be laid off almost immediately.
    He might get laid off or more properly fired int he USA too. It is all a matter of how the accident happened.
    Go and watch some freaking documentaries and stop bowing before the altar of Saint Raygun! Get a clue!
    You might try looking a little closer at those documentaries. There is always an agenda, sometimes good sometimes evil. Still the simple reality is no matter how bad the conditions, those conditions did cause somebody to jump or whatever. As noted these are not slaves as such they are free to leave anytime they want.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    wizard69

Wow! Just wow!

You're so fucking clueless, it's not even funny anymore.

1. When corporations say China is "too expensive" for them, what they really mean is that there are places where stuff can be produced for even less, leaving them with higher profit$.
    2. Often, Chinese workers work 15 hour workdays, 7 days a week. If anyone is whiny, it's you. Comparing those working conditions to ours in the US and Europe is truly pathethic and dumb.
    3. Breaks in China are considerably shorter than in the US or Europe.
    4. The average Chinese factory worker earns $1.8US/hour. The average, partially subsidized lunch (provided there is a restaurant on the premise), costs $1US already.
    5. To claim that working conditions have nothing to do with how people feel is the most ill-informed garbage I ever had to read. Are you a fucking robot?
    6. If you broke your arm on premise in a western European country, you'd be granted sick leave and the possibility to see a doctor. If the same happened to a Chinese factory worker, he'd be laid off almost immediately.

Go and watch some freaking documentaries and stop bowing before the altar of Saint Raygun! Get a clue!

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Michael, Any chance we might see FreeBSD 10.1 vs Linux tests with both general and game benchmarks and both FOSS BSD Radeon and Intel KMS drivers and proprietary Nvidia drivers? Maybe also test OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.? It would be interesting to see the state of open-source BSD performance as opposed to the latest Linux distros.
    Definitely.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    This especially when your so called escape involves walking out of the factory.
    What makes you think that isn't also suicide? A longer, slower suicide where they watch their entire family starve to death? It's not like the US where unemployment is low and you can find another job, and get benefits if you're fired.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Foxcon paid off the families of those workers who committed suicide, so it may have been a rational decision to help take care of their families.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Did you just call the National Humanities Center liers? That they fabricated those reports of black slave suicides? Dear god the reality distortion field is strong.
    When claims are made that don't have supporting data then yes it is a fabrication. That is exactly what you have when their is an attempt to say that the actual rates where much higher but we don't have the evidence. It is pure speculation.

If they spend 100% of their waking hours at the job site, it's pretty damn likely to be the primary cause.
    They don't have to spend those hours there.

Literally everyone can be driven over the edge. Everyone. Putting the blame on the person who wanted an escape is incredibly cruel and selfish.
    Come on that is complete non sense. Consider for a moment what happened to out soldiers in Vietnam, to true and in human treatment where the order of the day and yet people survived.

As far as blaming the person that killed himself, who else should you blame? Seriously guy you are exactly the type of person I was describing that looks for any other explanation than the reality that is before them. If somebody comments suicide it isn't anybodies fault but their own. This especially when your so called escape involves walking out of the factory.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    You likely are fitting a loosing battle here because too many lack objectivity and are hell bent on promoting LINUX as the only one true solution to ones computing needs.

Originally posted by JohnLee View Post
    Look at the business world: what software is used most of all? PowerPoint, Excel, Word. The rest doesn't come close. Office exists for Mac, so there's just no need to switch to a Window PC or BootCamp or Parallels for that.
    Actually at work I use Access (not willingly) and Excel. Excel usage is such that any good spread sheet would work. The idea that MS Office is a requirement for every PC is likely the result of promotion by MS. Beyond that there are probably several hundred PC's at work that have never had Office installed. Most of those run proprietary software for manufacturing where MS office is never needed.

I only bring this up because the MS Office argument is non sense as it justifies nothing. There is a massive world of users that have no need for MS Office.
    But the beautiful thing about a Mac is that I can have my cake and eat it too: it has a complete Unix shell with all the necessary tools, right out of the box. And if you want more, 'brew' is a command away. I develop my programs on my Mac (iTerm, vim, the works) and run them overnight on the Linux farm. I could do just the same on a Windows system with cygwin, but that's always a little bit hackier, because cygwin and Windows use different file system conventions. So why bother?
    The "cake and eat it too", is exactly what has kept me on a Mac since 2008.

They're not only good, they're great at it. Thanks!
    But I've deleted them from my Mac, because I'm not a musician and I don't desire to be one.
    It is strange that people reference successful software when trying to dismiss Mac OS. Not everybody uses GarageBand but that app and the large assortment of music related apps do sell a lot of Macs all on their own.

Yes, it can do that too! Isn't that great? Though, I use a Roku for that.

Well, MS Office works just fine for me. I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences with that.
    I do my web browsing on Safari, but Chrome and Firefox are there if you need them. What are you using?
    I don't game.
    The funny thing here is that Apple has never really promoted the Mac as a gaming platform. So why do people constantly bring that up especially when such a small minority of users game on PC's anyways? Furthermore Apple has the iPad which they do promote for gaming.

On the other hand this really shouldn't be an excuse for Apples poor GPU driver performance. It isn't just poor it is actually pathetic! When open source LINUX drivers do better there are obvious problems with priorities at Apple. I may use a Mac but I'm not going to deny that things could be better.
    iTunes hasn't been necessary for your iDevices for years now, so who cares?
    I actually like iTunes. It isn't always the most cost effective approach to video but I don't have to buy from Apple if I don't want too.
    My family is completely on iPhone and iPads. When my daughter takes a picture, and I want it, she taps 'family share' and it shows up the next minute on my MacBook's iPhoto (as well as all other phones, of course.) Try that with Linux? There is no iPhoto for Windows, unfortunately, but I'm sure Google has something similar after you install it...
    Device integration is another big advantage of Mac OS. It isn't perfect but Apple will hammer on it until it works the way most want it too. However at this time I don't know of a better solution so if people want to dismiss it they have a very high hurdle to clear to convince me that another solution will work better.
    But you forget the most important thing: hardware. Find me one, just one, laptop with the same quality, size, and responsiveness touchpad as a MacBook. They don't exist. The overall full aluminum body build surpasses even those of Lenovo. The MagSafe is great. The retina screen a beauty. And TimeMachines/TimeCapsule, I could write a song about it.
    Apples track pads are addictive. I'm not sure why PC solutions are so bad, whatever it is should be addressed because honestly a cheap PC with a decent track pad would be nice for LINUX.
    Many laptops have some of the qualities of a MacBook, most you'd be hard pressed to find one that has all of them. (Did I mention the touchpad?)

So if you're going for a MacBook because of the hardware anyway, there's little point in wiping OSX and going Windows.
    Yep if you really need Windiws you can fire up any number of VMs to run Windows in. For me I do that almost never these days, the need for Windows software is largely overblown.

Good to hear that others are stepping up to the plate as well.

In all honestly, you got that one right, I do feel superior: to those who feel the need to calling out other for feeling superior because of their usage of an OS or piece of hardware they don't like.
    And, yes, I use the Mac because I like it. They look cool too!
    I don't know about feeling superior but I do know that I have far fewer problems that Windows or LINUX users. Frankly I've been running a lot of beta software and have had fewer problems.

I have used Linux uninterrupted since 1994. For a long time a home, and always at work. Once you're at the point in your life where money isn't as much as a factor, little time wasters become more important: you have better things to do than mess around with printer drivers, setting up backup systems, ease to use photo sharing, praying that your open source office suite won't mess up your files too much etc. That's the point at which you switch to a Mac. At the core, they're all computers that run on an x86, but it's the mountain of little things that count in the end.
    What kills me here is that people don't recognize that you and others are heavy LINUX users. The two systems actually complement each other, the Mac is human friendly with a great development environment and the LINUX systems are great deployment boxes.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Did you just call the National Humanities Center liers? That they fabricated those reports of black slave suicides? Dear god the reality distortion field is strong.

Just because a slave, a Foxcon worker, or a volunteer fireman commit suicide doesn't imply the job was the primary cause.
    If they spend 100% of their waking hours at the job site, it's pretty damn likely to be the primary cause.

By the way it is common, certainly in your case, for people to look for external factors in suicide cases; the reality is there is only one person to blame in a suicide.
    Literally everyone can be driven over the edge. Everyone. Putting the blame on the person who wanted an escape is incredibly cruel and selfish.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    They did, and we have the evidence to prove it: http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/...t2/suicide.pdf
    The point is how did this suicide rate compare to the rest of the population at the time? Just because a slave, a Foxcon worker, or a volunteer fireman commit suicide doesn't imply the job was the primary cause.
    Obviously there's no exact numbers with the slaves being replaceable, but it's clear many of them did take their own lives.
    There are no exact numbers because the story is a fabrication.
    For the second point, it may be better than starving, or so they think when entering the factory. Clearly their point of view then changes when they jump off.
    Again you are feeding people baloney here. The workers can leave Foxcon anytime they like. As for changing a point of view, again normal healthy people do not commit suicide. Those that do are individual cases and unless you explore each case completely you really have nothing at all to promote the idea that Foxcon caused the suicide.

Think about it this way; walk into any suitably large business, anywhere in the world, and inventory the employees noting who is seeing a shrink, who is on anti physcotic and other drugs related to mental health. You will probably be surprised, if you are able to get people to be honest about it.

I can't claim to understand the mentality of people that commit suicide for no good reason. What I do know is that it can be a very hard thing to explain and sometimes you just don't know what is going on in the persons mind. In one case I actually had regular conversations with one gal that took her life and never was aware of her intentions. In retrospect she actually told me what she was about to do. The work week had come to a close and I was literally heading off to Las Vegas and said good bye to the gal as I was leaving the plant. She literally said she wouldn't be there when I got back. I said sure you will be as I headed off to the airport. Five days later I'm back at work and the guys say "guess what happened"; frankly I didn't have a clue. Come to find out the gal shot herself right in front of her kids. I was completely shocked probably more so since I thought that I atleast knew her a bit.

In any event the big problem with your point of view is that you can not and have not demonstrated a suicide rate at Foxcon that is higher than the norm in China. Unless you can do that you have no argument at all. Beyond that unless you investigate the history of every employee that has in fact commited suicide while working at Foxcon you really have no idea what the factors where that resulted in that suicide. By the way it is common, certainly in your case, for people to look for external factors in suicide cases; the reality is there is only one person to blame in a suicide.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X