Apple OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    The poster you replied to said people recognized Apple's logo "like Christians recognize the cross." I'm no Christian (I am a pagan) but one thing Christians, Muslims, Jews, and even us pagans can all agree on is that a hell of a lot of the world's problems come from those who worship money and consumer goods. The fact that any corporation's logo is treated like any religion's primary symbol is extremely offensive, and thank you to the original commentor for calling this situation out.

If that bitten apple is a religious symbol, who are that "religion's" martyrs? Maybe the Foxconn workers driven to suicide working long hours in mainland China to gett all that iStuff built and ready for Black friday?
    Nice troll. I actually thought you were serious until the thing about the martyrs.

Comment

I was indeed serious with this post

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
      Nice troll. I actually thought you were serious until the thing about the martyrs.
      I was deadly serious about that: people really have killed themselves over Foxconn's working conditions they are so bad.
      Thus, real people have died for the Cult of the Bitten Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        how much costs your mac? my pc 700 euros, how much?
        Here's the thing, portables with the same resolution screen cost about as much as the Mac. When my Latitude kicks the bucket it'll be replaced with a Mac portable simply because Apple is the only one left producing 16:10 screens while this may not be important to most it's important to me. The various DE's in Linux still don't do pixel scaling as well as Apple does, even Windows still can't. Moving from just those there just isn't the level of commercial SW support for Linux that there is for OSX, for some people that is a deal breaker. For the end consumer the faster SSD's, nicer screens, well thought through ecosystem, and SW support are more than enough to seal the deal. Apple and OSX are not for everyone just like Linux is not for everyone I really wish people would lose the religion on both sides and actually think about why something might appeal to the other.

Comment

Ahh, nothing like sipping the morning coffee watching the trolls degenerate into a fresh flamewar on phoronix

Fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            bpetty you provide zero arguments.
            If I switch the words OSX and Linux in your post, the new post will mean exactly the opposite but will still have zero value.
            • Better battery life
            • Better multitouch integration
            • Better clang support
            • Better software: Native MS Office for business, Photoshop, INDesign, etc.
            • Better HiDPI support
            • No strange driver incompatibility issues, due to their control over the HW
            • In my opinion, a better, consistent, UI experience

Look, for me, OSX is better. If Linux works for you, go for it. You can argue against all of my points above, but I have used Linux extensively for 15 years off and on on the desktop and know that I wont go back anytime in the foreseeable future (We'll, maybe in a VM). Maybe I stomached Desktop Linux through too many bad years. It has gotten better, but why bother when I could simply go Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              After reading your post I'm not so sure who is the zealot here.
              I use Windows at work, have an android phone, and run FreeBSD servers... so I don't know if I would be called an "Apple Zealot".
              Maybe a guy that uses the right tools for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                [LIST][*]No strange driver incompatibility issues, due to their control over the HW
                That appears to be wrong at least for OpenGL drivers. Because they have control over the hardware doesn't mean they are able to make it works better.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  I was deadly serious about that: people really have killed themselves over Foxconn's working conditions they are so bad.
                  Thus, real people have died for the Cult of the Bitten Apple.
                  Well your complete misuse of the word martyr makes you either a troll or a fool. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. People die in Foxconn factories because they are poor and work a shitty job with low pay because they don't have any better options. They don't die because they are "true believers" in Apple. Foxconn factories don't have Apple logos everywhere, there's no genius bar hipsters cheerleading for Apple, there's no Apple culture. It's a factory. Where poor people are taken advantage of by a powerful corporation. The idea that these people suffer willingly because of their unshakable faith in Apple is so unbelievably stupid that I assumed you could not possibly actually think that.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    how much costs your mac? my pc 700 euros, how much?
                    your pc may be worth 700 euros, but your tears are priceless.

everyone please make sure to keep discarding the actual benchmarks and instead discuss why apple is awful even if you've never owned or used any recent products

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      Given that I still find it difficult or near impossible to go back to Linux on my main computer. There are too many advantages that make up for the disadvantages.
                      That's funny. I feel exactly opposite. Linux + KDE simply rocks. OS X is one of the shittiest operating systems I've ever used in my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X