Apple OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    With all the bilions they are pouring over OSX, is this all they can do? Poor iZombies.
    OSX always was slow as mollases. I remember it since 2008 I started read this site. And always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
      I wouldn't say it is the only thing. I have an 11 inch 2013 MB Air and have loved it. Battery life is a big deal for me.
      I did not get the laptop to game on. There is a point where there are diminishing returns when it comes to GPU performance.
      If it is good enough to do what I need it to do, I don't care how great it could be.

If it wasn't better than Linux on the desktop for my needs, trust me, I'd switch. Now that I thinking about it, I am not ever going to install Linux on my new server, I am going FreeBSD. Linux is becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. Sorry if that offends someone. There is more to a good desktop experience than just great gaming performance.
      bpetty you provide zero arguments.
      If I switch the words OSX and Linux in your post, the new post will mean exactly the opposite but will still have zero value.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
        Maybe one of the advantages he enjoys is the ability to offer an opinion about what kind of software he prefers for his own personal use without immediately being jumped by multiple linux users with insinuations (or in your case spoken out right) that they are an uninformed zealot. Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves and if you love linux so much you should probably try to avoid making linux users look like a bunch of petulant children who cannot abide a different opinion.
        After reading your post I'm not so sure who is the zealot here.
        The sentece I wrote about the accolytes is not a personal opinion but a proved fact. I'll try to find the link for you.

Comment

Scientists reckon Apple directly works on the bits of our brains that deal with religion, according to Secrets of the Superbrands, a BBC programme investigating brands.

Comment

??

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
            I wouldn't say it is the only thing. I have an 11 inch 2013 MB Air and have loved it. Battery life is a big deal for me.
            I did not get the laptop to game on. There is a point where there are diminishing returns when it comes to GPU performance.
            If it is good enough to do what I need it to do, I don't care how great it could be.

If it wasn't better than Linux on the desktop for my needs, trust me, I'd switch. Now that I thinking about it, I am not ever going to install Linux on my new server, I am going FreeBSD. Linux is becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. Sorry if that offends someone. There is more to a good desktop experience than just great gaming performance.
            i have a great desktop experience, performance and security with ubuntu 14.04 and today i can even play games with good performance, and wait i have good battery life too, with a garbage asus 44kw battery i have 4/5 hours of batterylife! but i say it again ppl use what you want, what you like and dont care, but is always nice when some guy with this funcy macbook don t have the same level of performance

Comment

Apple's logo should not be worthy of worship

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
              Maybe one of the advantages he enjoys is the ability to offer an opinion about what kind of software he prefers for his own personal use without immediately being jumped by multiple linux users with insinuations (or in your case spoken out right) that they are an uninformed zealot. Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves and if you love linux so much you should probably try to avoid making linux users look like a bunch of petulant children who cannot abide a different opinion.
              The poster you replied to said people recognized Apple's logo "like Christians recognize the cross." I'm no Christian (I am a pagan) but one thing Christians, Muslims, Jews, and even us pagans can all agree on is that a hell of a lot of the world's problems come from those who worship money and consumer goods. The fact that any corporation's logo is treated like any religion's primary symbol is extremely offensive, and thank you to the original commentor for calling this situation out.

If that bitten apple is a religious symbol, who are that "religion's" martyrs? Maybe the Foxconn workers driven to suicide working long hours in mainland China to gett all that iStuff built and ready for Black friday?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                i have a great desktop experience, performance and security with ubuntu 14.04 and today i can even play games with good performance, and wait i have good battery life too, with a garbage asus 44kw battery i have 4/5 hours of batterylife! but i say it again ppl use what you want, what you like and dont care, but is always nice when some guy with this funcy macbook don t have the same level of performance
                What if I don't play games? I still have far longer battery life on mu funky macbook pro and everything looks amazing on its hidpi screen. Most people who own apple products don't care about the "metrics" as long as they don't directly interfere with whatever they're doing daily. From that perspective, these benchmark results are completely irrelevant because they don't tell the whole story. Personal computing is more than "mine is bigger than yours".

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  name some.
                  Automator
                  Alfred
                  Various daw apps

I don't own a Mac but those are some of the things people mention midday often that I recall.
                  Alfred wouldn't be too difficult to make. We'd need to just polish up something like synapse or kupfer. The problems will come in trying to match the APIs osx offers its developers.
                  Automator, OTOH, would be hugely difficult to "port" to Linux. Dbus provides interfaces to many elements, so enabling a privileged process to record all interactions of the user over a specific period, exporting that information in a slightly abstracted way, and then providing an interface for scripting might provide a way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                    What if I don't play games? I still have far longer battery life on mu funky macbook pro and everything looks amazing on its hidpi screen. Most people who own apple products don't care about the "metrics" as long as they don't directly interfere with whatever they're doing daily. From that perspective, these benchmark results are completely irrelevant because they don't tell the whole story. Personal computing is more than "mine is bigger than yours".
                    how much costs your mac? my pc 700 euros, how much?

Comment

And they didn't compare to all other corporate logos, sports team logos, fast food logos, the linux penguin, national flags, shoe brands, car logos, or any other "thing" that people identify with and make a part of their culture and identity. So the "proven fact" that you brought up with the insinuation that the phenomenon is unique to apple, or that it doesn't apply to you with any of the things that you enjoy is actually an assumption that you made up all by yourself. The data you quote is 100% irrelevant to this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                      X