Apple OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asavah View Post
    It has a sticker with a bitten apple on it.
    Thou shall not resist.
    This is not a joke but a fact, unfortunately! Millions of people recognize this symbol in the same way a Christian recognize the cross.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
      What about battery life of each (OSX vs GNU/linux)?

Coming up shortly will be tests when using the latest Linux Git code, possible comparison with Fedora 21 from the same hardware, and also some power consumption comparisons between the operating systems.
      From the very bottom of the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        This is not a joke but a fact, unfortunately! Millions of people recognize this symbol in the same way a Christian recognize the cross.
        Maybe one of the advantages he enjoys is the ability to offer an opinion about what kind of software he prefers for his own personal use without immediately being jumped by multiple linux users with insinuations (or in your case spoken out right) that they are an uninformed zealot. Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves and if you love linux so much you should probably try to avoid making linux users look like a bunch of petulant children who cannot abide a different opinion.

Comment

This has got to be the single most moronic test comparison to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            This has got to be the single most moronic test comparison to date.
            yes, yes... we know you're die hard mac fan. guess it is hard to swallow when apple hw on apple os underperforms

and so informative post, i doubt i ever read so many good arguments as you specified

Comment

I'd like to see a battery life test.

Comment

With all the bilions they are pouring over OSX, is this all they can do? Poor iZombies.

Comment

Hmm... Graphics regression makes me want to go with Mavericks, which to me looks nicer compared to Yosemite, but I do like them both.

But I do miss having a quad core CPU when it comes to buying a 2014-model Mac Mini to go with my 39" TV-as-a-monitor for using Blender, making music, and play games that take advantage of Intel's latest generation graphics. But with Apple having to make two different logic boards for dual-core and quad-core processors, I can understand why Apple wants to go with dual-core processors for even a high-end Mac Mini.

But I'm happy running Arch Linux with GNOME Shell 3.14. Ubuntu Unity is cool which features HUD (yeah, I just hit ALT and type "export" in GIMP; very cool with not a menu bar below the title bar), but it does not natively support GTK 3.14 (see images in my LinuxMusician thread), so I've moved on to GNOME 3.14.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                    I'd like to see a battery life test.
                    the only thing mac users can talk yet

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      the only thing mac users can talk yet
                      I wouldn't say it is the only thing. I have an 11 inch 2013 MB Air and have loved it. Battery life is a big deal for me.
                      I did not get the laptop to game on. There is a point where there are diminishing returns when it comes to GPU performance.
                      If it is good enough to do what I need it to do, I don't care how great it could be.

If it wasn't better than Linux on the desktop for my needs, trust me, I'd switch. Now that I thinking about it, I am not ever going to install Linux on my new server, I am going FreeBSD. Linux is becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. Sorry if that offends someone. There is more to a good desktop experience than just great gaming performance.
                      Last edited by bpetty; 25 November 2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X