Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 10.1 Release Now Available

Phoronix: FreeBSD 10.1 Release Now Available

After being set back by only some minor delays, FreeBSD 10.1 stable is now available in released form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, your wording is quite confusing for people who may be new to FreeBSD. I suggest a small correction by omission of the word "stable" from the article to avoid confusion with the development version of FreeBSD 10

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
      Michael, your wording is quite confusing for people who may be new to FreeBSD. I suggest a small correction by omission of the word "stable" from the article to avoid confusion with the development version of FreeBSD 10
      That's a problem FreeBSD itself should fix. Stables means stable but BSD devs decide to make things confusing and name their development branch stable and their stable branch release. I don't why this is the case but that's one of the reasons why no one uses BSD. Also, why the hell do they have two or more development branches (current, X-stable)? Their project is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
        That's a problem FreeBSD itself should fix. Stables means stable but BSD devs decide to make things confusing and name their development branch stable and their stable branch release. I don't why this is the case but that's one of the reasons why no one uses BSD. Also, why the hell do they have two or more development branches (current, X-stable)? Their project is a mess.

Do you run what you're typing through any of those billions of neurons in your brain or do you just hammer away a frivolous reply in a desperate attempt to spread FUD and misinformation throughout the internet? I've read your posts and replies on various subjects and you come off as a pretentious Arch GNU/Linux user who simply wants to argue just for attention.

Now onto your actual statement above. First of all, the FreeBSD handbook explains the names of the release and development branches quite well and it also makes sense to someone with an IQ above that of Ronald Reagan pre-Alzheimer's. Let me break it down for you since a punk like you probably doesn't have a diploma.

RELEASE - An official release that has been verified and well tested and ready for production.
        STABLE - A stable, rolling release fork of the CURRENT codebase which has been preliminary tested but needs more testing and addition from -CURRENT before being debugged and moved to RELEASE.
        CURRENT- The current form of the development tree, at that very second. A bleeding edge snapshot not meant for production use.

They use the name of the next major release for CURRENT (11 is the next major hence 11-CURRENT) and they have X-STABLE for the releases which are still being maintained, patched and developed. This is not much different from some GNU/Linux distros. Of course you wouldn't know using Arch as you do, playing Russian Roulette every time you update as to whether something major breaks or not. There is one thing that pisses me off about GNU/Linux enough to not make me have a single machine that runs it currently, and it is that there is never any distinction between the base system and what is added on via packages or ports, portage etc. The BSDs have a clear distinction here as their ports, pkgsrc and package managers don't affect the base system whatsoever, the base system is maintained separately so I never have to worry about a dependency problem wrecking a server installation, as one did with one of my colocations

Finally, the BSDs are used by plenty of people. Besides the companies like NetFlix, Juniper, and iXSystems that use and commit to FreeBSD, please explain the size of IRC channels on FreeNode that are right now full of new users to the BSDs who are unsatisfied with RedHat literally coercing their former distros that were good prior to introduction of systemd, udev and such to migrate to their projects or go extinct. In 2010, there were different distros using different init systems, and now only Void, Gentoo and Slackware, the more advanced distros, are using sane init systems that make sense. Almost 5 years later. The BSDs are doing what the GNU/Linux community won't do, and that is keep it simple. The GNU/Linux community is getting ahead of themselves by attempting to replace Windows, but in the process they're cloning the Windows model with svchost and the Registry and Event Logs as systemd, systemd and systemd.

Bottom line endman, give it up. You and the other anti-BSD crowd would do good to stop this smear campaign and instead improve your own GNU/Linux, because it desperately needs help if it will truly attain its goal of not being in "obscurity".

Comment

Do you run .... "obscurity".
          I'm sorry, what did you say?

Anyway, BSD is gearing up for .. funeral. Their devs are trying to make a Linux wrapper around their kernel.

Comment

Do you run what you're typing through any of those billions of neurons in your brain or do you just hammer away a frivolous reply in a desperate attempt to spread FUD and misinformation throughout the internet? I've read your posts and replies on various subjects and you come off as a pretentious Arch GNU/Linux user who simply wants to argue just for attention.
            The reality is this forum is full of trolls and deranged people that are the kind of people that are truly embarrassing to the Linux community. The kind of people that most of the time don't contribute anything never mind anything useful to the community at all.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
              The reality is this forum is full of trolls and deranged people that are the kind of people that are truly embarrassing to the Linux community. The kind of people that most of the time don't contribute anything never mind anything useful to the community at all.
              And that was the drama queen.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                I'm sorry, what did you say?

Anyway, BSD is gearing up for .. funeral. Their devs are trying to make a Linux wrapper around their kernel.
                FreeBSD is far from getting ready for a funeral. You're quite delusional as all this is, is an extension of the Linuxulator that already runs on FreeBSD to allow for binaries compiled for the Linux kernel based OSes to run, except that it is for device drivers. This is designed to supplement the already good drivers that are native to FreeBSD. It is not a Linux compatibility wrapper around the kernel. Don't kid yourself in to thinking you're being smart, because you're not. Use the mass of neurons between your ears you twat and actually make your own GNU/Linux better, because it definitely needs help. Come back when GNU/Linux is commanding a majority market share of desktop computers and then we can talk.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  And that was the drama queen.
                  Stating the truth is not drama. Can you be in anymore of a state of denial?

Comment

Seriously Michael, hire some more moderators! I'll work for free, I've moderated sites in the past and know my way around the forum system here, I can EASILY get this place cleaned out. And I'll allow some red vs blue type debating that goes on here, but I will not allow trolling or hamster wheel arguments. Don't know why you don't seem to care about the lack of moderation and blatant disregard and lack of respect a lot of people here have... I've tried to be nice, I've tried to be sarcastic and I have tried to contribute facts and not opinions to the conversations, but it just isn't enough for people on here.

Comment

Working...
                    X