No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Made Progress On Their Systemd-Compatible Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems people don't understand what is this project about. It's a compatibility layer to adapt systemd-services calls to OpenBSD/FreeBSD daemons calls. By example, systemd-timed replacement it's a wrapper for OpenBSD OpenNTPD.

Comment

We need more efforts like this

I am a Systemd advocate. I also do not believe choice for choice's sake is a desirable thing in infrastructure as critical as an init system. Having said that, I recognize that one never knows from which direction innovation will come. In addition, Lennart has said that porting Systemd to other kernels is non-trivial (http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html Myth #15). Therefore I support this effort to allow Systemd dependent software to run on non-Systemd systems.

Comment

With a website like this, who wouldn't like what he's doing?

Comment

Ah good, hopefully FreeBSD will pick this up and work on it too.

Comment

An utter waste of programmer time aim to fragment FLOSS

One thing this project will achieve is an obsolete compatibility layer that matches systemd versions from 10 years ago (Just like the Linux compatibility layer of BSD) but even then that's just be optimistic. They'll most likely fail as implementing systemd-like interfaces requires a kernel too advance for BSD devs to comprehend. It'll be like caveman trying (and failing) to understand how nuclear fusion works. Don't hold your breath, just switch to Linux. It makes far more sense then this. Also, you can be sure that Antoine Jacoutot and Landry Breuil did this on their MacBook Pros and never tested it on OpenBSD.

Originally posted by blackout23
            They should fork the real thing, adapt it to OpenBSD and maintain compatibility with the Linux systemd interfaces which are used by Gnome & Co.
            They can't the OpenBSD kernel lacks the features to do that and it cannot handle it without crashing. The same goes for other BSDs, that's why it's the BSD zealots who have been creating that BoycottSystemd propaganda. Systemd leaves them behind and they cannot port it to their shitty kernel.

Originally posted by BwackNinja
            I've seen it. It looks horrible, they could have better spent their time improving Linux then doing this shit. By the way https://uglyman.kremlin.cc/gitweb/gi...=systembsd.git. We now know who funded this project.

Originally posted by rmiller
            Seems people don't understand what is this project about. It's a compatibility layer to adapt systemd-services calls to OpenBSD/FreeBSD daemons calls. By example, systemd-timed replacement it's a wrapper for OpenBSD OpenNTPD.
            Why would anyone use OpenNTPD when literally every other implementation is for accurate.

Originally posted by Ironlennu
            Therefore I support this effort to allow Systemd dependent software to run on non-Systemd systems.
            No, we don't like more efforts like this to waste developer time. OpenBSD devs and these "students" are trying to find a solution to a problem that has already been solved. How to solve it? Switch to Linux. End of Story.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
              No, we don't like more efforts like this to waste developer time. OpenBSD devs and these "students" are trying to find a solution to a problem that has already been solved. How to solve it? Switch to Linux. End of Story.
              Go away "we"; if they're wasting anyone's time, it's their own. Would you like it if I told you to stop shopping at the corner store, because the supermarket has everything you could ever need, for less, and it's just a block down the road? No, you might say, "It has my favorite brand of whisky, which they don't sell at the supermarket because it's made locally." To that, I would respond, "Okay, that's your choice." I might throw in a few more words to try and convince you, but I certainly wouldn't call you a caveman for not going there instead.

Comment

Magnificent!
                Can they PLEASE port it back to Linux? Under Gentoo I still have the choice but once a DE suddenly has systemd as hard dependency for whatever weird reasons (thanks god I was never really into Gnome) you're out of luck.
                While I am not against a refreshment of the init system I don't think that neither systemd nor its main inventor nor the fanboys (Stockholm / Apple syndrome) have matured yet. And PID 1 implies a lot of responsibility. It is nothing to be messed with easily.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Magnificent!
                  Can they PLEASE port it back to Linux? Under Gentoo I still have the choice but once a DE suddenly has systemd as hard dependency for whatever weird reasons (thanks god I was never really into Gnome) you're out of luck.
                  While I am not against a refreshment of the init system I don't think that neither systemd nor its main inventor nor the fanboys (Stockholm / Apple syndrome) have matured yet. And PID 1 implies a lot of responsibility. It is nothing to be messed with easily.
                  Debian's devs already created systemd-shim for emulating systemd components. Use it instead

Comment

Originally posted by alaviss View Post
                    Debian's devs already created systemd-shim for emulating systemd components.
                    This is so hilarious and sad. Once your distro is infected by systemd the only way to get rid of it is implementing a compatibility layer.

Yet fanboys still claim that systemd isn't pervasive.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
                      One thing this project will achieve is an obsolete compatibility layer that matches systemd versions from 10 years ago (Just like the Linux compatibility layer of BSD) but even then that's just be optimistic. They'll most likely fail as implementing systemd-like interfaces requires a kernel too advance for BSD devs to comprehend. It'll be like caveman trying (and failing) to understand how nuclear fusion works. Don't hold your breath, just switch to Linux. It makes far more sense then this. Also, you can be sure that Antoine Jacoutot and Landry Breuil did this on their MacBook Pros and never tested it on OpenBSD.
                      The Linux compatibility layer on FreeBSD provides the interfaces consumed by glibc included in CentOS 6, which is about 3 years old. Every OpenBSD developer I know of runs OpenBSD on their ThinkPads. And the interfaces required for the systemd-type interface are for the most part already available via KQueue. Would you like to tell us what really is lacking?

Originally posted by endman
                      They can't the OpenBSD kernel lacks the features to do that and it cannot handle it without crashing. The same goes for other BSDs, that's why it's the BSD zealots who have been creating that BoycottSystemd propaganda. Systemd leaves them behind and they cannot port it to their shitty kernel.
                      I repeat: KQueue. That solves most of what systemd depends on (signalfd, timerfd, process tracking, etc). The BoycottSystemd website appears to be maintained by Gentoo enthusiasts. Anyway, you seem angry. What's the matter? Did those horrible OpenBSD devs call you a naughty name?

I've seen it. It looks horrible, they could have better spent their time improving Linux then doing this shit. By the way https://uglyman.kremlin.cc/gitweb/gi...=systembsd.git. We now know who funded this project.
                      Too bad, they don't want to work on what you demand they do. Freedom means people get to work in their spare time on what they want to do, not what people demand they do. Anyway, should it turn out that OpenBSD is funded by Moscow - so what? Linux and FreeBSD receive funding from DARPA in the USA.

Why would anyone use OpenNTPD when literally every other implementation is for accurate.
                      Provide evidence backing this assertion, please.

The computer problem was first solved decades ago. Improvement is a good thing. Anyway, I remind you, it's their time, and they'll use it as they please, not what others demand they do.

Originally posted by Adarion
                      Fear not - the layer is designed to be simple to port to other systems. Once it gains more functionality I'm sure a Linux port will be created.

Comment

Working...
                      X