Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The World's Most Highly-Assured OS" Kernel Open-Sourced

Phoronix: "The World's Most Highly-Assured OS" Kernel Open-Sourced

The seL4 kernel that's an advanced, security-enhanced version of the L4 micro-kernel has been open-sourced by General Dynamics C4 Systems and NICTA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Evil Corporate America??? strikes again.

Comment

The Matrix now includes support for running SkyNet.

Comment

What's it been assured of? Besides, a kernel is not an OS.

Comment

I would be interested to know how many lines of code make up this kernel versus the Linux kernel.

(I'm aware you can get this information fairly easily through Git, but I don't know how and I'm at work so haven't got time to research).

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I would be interested to know how many lines of code make up this kernel versus the Linux kernel.

(I'm aware you can get this information fairly easily through Git, but I don't know how and I'm at work so haven't got time to research).
            I didn't count the lines but tar.xz of Linux 3.15.7 is 79.7MB while zip of master branch for seL4 is 953.4kB

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
              What's it been assured of? Besides, a kernel is not an OS.
              Seem more like an abstraction layer between hardware and Linux rather than independent kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

About 7500 lines of code.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Seem more like an abstraction layer between hardware and Linux rather than independent kernel.
                  Linux can be run in a vmm above this kernel but it is an independent (micro)kernel in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    About 7500 lines of code.
                    Thanks, wow that's quite something. A quick google search shows the Linux kernel was over 15million lines of code in 2011. I suppose it's a lot easier to keep code secure when there's so few moving parts.

For limited use cases I'm sure this would be good to use. Though with so few lines of code I'm assuming there's no hardware drivers. Imagine getting wi-fi up-and-running using this!

Comment

Working...
                    X