Ubuntu With Linux 3.16 Smashes OS X 10.9.4 On The MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    You are mostly right, I think (I am assuming you are talking about desktop distros). Early Linux-based operating systems had to rely on what free software packages were available, and those had mixed quality: some were very good, some were just "good enough," but many still suffer from poor testing, limited developer support and documentation, etc.
    yup

I'm using the past tense because I do think things are changing. We have companies, both big and small (IBM, Redhat, Novell, Canonical, etc.), investing in the free software ecosystem, and making an effort to replace the older components with higher quality software. Because of the free software licenses, these investments get to be enjoyed by all free operating systems. It's going to take time to get the work done, but we're living in an interesting time right now. Wayland and Mir are poised to replace the antique X11 graphics stack, systemd will clean up that awful mess that happens in the first few seconds of the operating system running and straighten out its basic service management, FreeDesktop.org standards are making it easier for application to live happily on all desktop environments, etc...
    Thinks are changing, but some legacy problems are still happening. I agree that those companies (in particular, red hat) are helping a lot. Wayland and Mir cannot co-exist. One has to die (ideally and presmably Mir). It will cause problems in the future, and it will fragment the desktop just like what has happened to every other time.

Quality assurance has also drastically improved. Not many people are aware of this, but Canonical's Launchpad service is a huge continuous-integration environment with many modern testing subsystems. It's a long-term investment that will pay off in terms of reducing breakage during ongoing development and upgrades, even for 3rd-party components.
    Ubuntu is generally the best in terms of stability, although every distro has improved lightyears over the past few years, I agree. Launchpad is an example of something done correctly. They have PPA's. That sounds stupid but when dealing with third-party stuff it makes it 1000x easier on the end user to type in a command that the website tells you into the terminal (or ideally click a link that opens up the thing in the future). Want netflix and using Linux because of practicality instead of politics? Install the compholio PPA. Obviously it would be better if netflix supported HTML5 (and don't you dare say blah blah DRM you trolls, you know why DRM has to exist for media, there would be no reason to create media without profits and without DRM for streaming you aren't going to get a deal with the media company. baby steps.), but none of that is the point, that was just an example of something that having the PPA system makes easier for the end-user. Most end-users do not care about and should not care about the (technical) internals of their computers, because to be honest they have much better things to be doing than caring about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      You haven't been paying attention to the IDC reports have you?
      Android has about 70-80% of the smartphone marketshare, Apple is second with ~ 10% of the market share, and it gets much smaller from there
      Android has surpassed Apple on the number of tablets sold starting in mid-2013 and consistently continuing to the current quarter.

So no, not neck and neck, it's linux dominated. That said I would expect Android to run slower on an iPhone than iOS due to Dalvik being slow. Android L will be getting around the Dalvik problem by AoT compiling applications on the device.
      The point is not in the quantity, but in the quality - ferrari isnt very popular car also, but thats not the point to call it bad. Android phones are cheaper, thats all what people cares about, you can count on one hand people, who actually knows what they are buying and they buying it because they really need it.

Comment

I like these sorts of benchmarks but I wish the latest stable kernel was also tested, since likely not many are running RCs.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          it not run att all in generic pcs at least with amd cpu, this the main reason for osx only run with their macs
          I can assure you OS X can and has run on non-Apple hardware, even on AMD CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            I can assure you OS X can and has run on non-Apple hardware, even on AMD CPUs.
            Indeed Those people suggest not upgrading too often to ensure OSX continues to run.

I've also seen other people run OSX in a VM so that they can continue to easily update and use certain Apple phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
              Indeed Those people suggest not upgrading too often to ensure OSX continues to run.

I've also seen other people run OSX in a VM so that they can continue to easily update and use certain Apple phones.
              Mainly depends on how much effort was needed to get OS X on the hardware. If you require a good bit of 3rd-party kexts and patches for basic system functionality, updating is a luxury Probably just need to keep said kexts and patches up-to-date though along with observing OS update changes carefully.

If you have pretty modern and present-in-actual-Apple-hardware hardware though, you should be fine. The Fatal1ty H97 Killer + 7850 I have was pretty well supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Always, in every benchmark (encoding, gaming, networking), OSX is and was slower than both Linux and Windows even in it's own tuned hardware. I don't even dare to think the results if OSX was allowed to run in generic pcs not optimized for it.
                Here Michael says clearly "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86_64 was then dual-booted to the same Apple MacBook Air.". Wonder who's trolling....
                My guess is it won't be too long before the DRM stack is ported to OS X (as it's under MIT licencense and has been partially ported to FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                  My guess is it won't be too long before the DRM stack is ported to OS X (as it's under MIT licencense and has been partially ported to FreeBSD.
                  OS X != FreeBSD, they took the FreeBSD userland, but the DRM kernel work of FreeBSD has no effect on OS X since it uses Darwin which is based on Mach.

Comment

Well, that sure would be sticking a finger up at Apple, porting the linux 3d drivers to OS X and showing how much faster they are. Probably not worth anyone's time, unless they really hate Apple :P

Comment

While there was no test-case's with 'older' or stable kernels for a proper cross-section to provide more insight in to progress and alternatives for linux, I'ma just gonna unsafely assume it's the 3.16 kernel providing the disparity between the test cases anyway.

I belive it wouldn't hurt to have stable kernel's make an appearance for the sake of comparison. Most distro's use a a LTS release, or the kernel that will be released before the next distro cycle's release. 3.14 was the last LTS release?
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X