Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chinoto View Post
    Nilles on the other hand seems to want a kernel implementation of zfs
    I don't care the fs but i need a fast file system and thats impossible with a userspace driver.

Comment

I would not want to be the guy trying to port ZFS or Btrfs to Windows. I still use ext4 on my external hard drives just in case someone on Windows or OSX needs to access them.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
        Its just that no one really needs that stuff. Windows has its own ntfs, exfat, fat32 filesystems, its more than enough for everything. And there really is no point in supporting so many linux home-made quality filesystems, that are all the time in alpha state, and before it reaches stable, it goes obsolete. And its better to use the whole package, you will not see anyone driving a car, that is build from 10 different car manufacturers parts.
        When SMR goes mainstream, people are going to dust off some of these so-called obsolete file systems. Additionally variety and exprimentation are important sources of information as to what works in a filesystem use case.

Comment

Addionally the same multipicity of drivers on windows could give us cheaper SSD's. NTFS really isn't built for the contraints of flash, so manufactuers add fancy controllers to hide it behind a scsi interface, instead of having cheap drives that a flash fileystem can interact with on a more direct level (read/write blocks, free, wear leveleing, etc )

The lack of filesystem diversity in Windows means any new storage medium is pretty much forced to shoehorn itself into existing interfaces, wheras filesystem exprimenation would allow more suitible interface to be exposed for each sort of storage medium.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            I don't care the fs but i need a fast file system and thats impossible with a userspace driver.
            Userspace vs kernel space is not some magical performance differential. Things like being in the kernel if they use a lot of immediate instructions that access the hardware so you can dodge system call context swaps. FUSE at least is designed to minimize the number of calls into the kernel driver part so the overhead isn't as significant. Same with dbus - you want to be in the kernel to avoid context swaps.

Comment

Working...
            X