Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ext2Fsd: EXT3/EXT4 Support Now Works On Windows 8

Phoronix: Ext2Fsd: EXT3/EXT4 Support Now Works On Windows 8

The Ext2Fsd project that provides an EXT3/EXT4 file-system driver for Microsoft Windows operating systems was recently updated with Windows 8 support and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, the better solution would be using paragon ext driver, which actually IS a driver, and not like with ext2fsd, will integrate your ext partitions into windows system.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      Well, the better solution would be using paragon ext driver, which actually IS a driver, and not like with ext2fsd, will integrate your ext partitions into windows system.
      I have never heard of that software before, it is free too, i shall have to check it out

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
        And its Still a Userspace Driver (Dokan). You need still a external program that mount the volumes and that tool crash immediately on most of my machines. And about ext2fsd, it leaves my Linux Partitions broken.

Comment

Without extents support, this isn't much of an ext4 driver. Yes it's possible to use etx4 without extents, but who has an extent-less ext4 partition?

That said, I did use this driver in the past with ext3 partitions, it worked fine for both reading and writing.

Comment

So, why is there no progression of filesystem read/write support for open-source drivers on Windows?

And please, no anti-this or that crepe. Cold, hard technical reasons.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              So, why is there no progression of filesystem read/write support for open-source drivers on Windows?
              Its easier to blame Microsoft, that they don't implement a FOSS Filesystem. Why would Microsoft do it?

Comment

I may be totally wrong, but I assume that documentation for writing filesystem drivers for windows is inexistent, leaving people in the dark and guess how it works. And Microsoft ins not interested at all in letting people write their own, as they want you to use FAT32 and NTFS, more "patented" ans so more financially interesting.

Anyway, if you have in hands a disk with ext partitions on it, you are better to go with a liveUSB with any linux distrib loaded, As the live system will permit you to read and write sercurely on all filesystems, including windows ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                  I may be totally wrong, but I assume that documentation for writing filesystem drivers for windows is inexistent,
                  MSDN and a IFS SDK are exist. The only big problem in the past was UAC but thats since vista fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

And please, no anti-this or that crepe. Cold, hard technical reasons.
                    Its just that no one really needs that stuff. Windows has its own ntfs, exfat, fat32 filesystems, its more than enough for everything. And there really is no point in supporting so many linux home-made quality filesystems, that are all the time in alpha state, and before it reaches stable, it goes obsolete. And its better to use the whole package, you will not see anyone driving a car, that is build from 10 different car manufacturers parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X