PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endman View Post
    Yes but we have to separate Open Source from BSDs because BSD code are... <snip!>
    This statement proves that endman has finally realized that BSD is open-source

It is also a well known fact that the OpenBSD project provides extremely good code including the very secure OpenSSH suite that almost every open-source operating system in existence relies on.

Comment

Hey I sign up to just let a few steam out, as I see alot of hatred towards BSD each time I read Phoronix log.

One User said that BSD is so far away from BSD UNIX that the rewritten was just not UNIX anymore and its more like GNU/Linux ? Last time I check that BSD only had to re-written 20% of their code which was a Network stack and some other bits in the kernel. other than that it is still the bsd system. they still use the BSD init the bsd kernel is much the same just more modular than UNIX VMUNIX, if you use NetBSD and OpenBSD you can see alot of Ultrix 4.0 BSD UNIX in it alot.

FreeBSD is much like older BSD UNIX as well and also reminds me alot like Solaris in some ways. The reason why PC-BSD want to make a new / their own DE is because they said its getting harder and harder to port DE to BSD because all the developers focus on GNU/Linux OS and ignore the BSD OS. Alot of people with the hateful attitude i see on here is just really sad to see in today world.

GNU/Linux is not even close to UNIX or even BSD it use to be more like BSD and UNIX back in the day, but not GNU/Linux is more like Windows NT alot and that is really sad to see.. I use WIndows 8.1 on one HDD and using cygwin64 reminds me of using Ubuntu with the simular bottom panel and all that stuff.. user friendly dumb down desktop like ubuntu, linux mint .. eos etc etc. bling bling.

FreeBSD and most BSDs are bare bone server os they are probably the most stable OS out there.. freebsd can have a uptime so long and not lose any preformance and it just solid like a rock. if you don't believe me ask any system admin that uses FreeBSD for a Server OS they will say the samething.. Yes GNU/Linux is popular and its on alot of different type of computers of all sorts. BSD is a software company and they do well for what it is.. You have to look that BSD have to go up against all the open source oses + windows nt + os x + other systems and I must say that GNU/Linux being popular and all people still like BSD.

BSD havn't change much from BSD UNIX (well me personally i think its still a UNIX type system) the userland still feels / look like ultrix and even darwin userland feels like older freebsd userland.

I used GNU/Linux for 13+ years and still do once in awhile. The reason I stop using GNU/Linux hardcore is, because I found BSD and I've been using it for a few years and I really love the system I always like BSD even when i was a Hardcore GNU/Linux "Fanboy", I try all sort of OSes because i'm a Computer Geek this is what We love to do.

So please stop hating on BSD so much. I could be a dick and list alot false things about the Linux Kernel design and how all you GNU/Linux people keep calling the os you use by its Kernel name. I don't really agree on RMS that much, but at least he is right why people call the "operating system" by the kernel name as i really don't know why people do this. GNU is actually the Operating System not the core of the system aka Linux.

Yes Linux Kernel can work without GNU but it wouldn't be a Operating system like GNU just saying so please stop calling it Linux. PC-BSD is making their own DE which is nice to see because nobody in the BSD community are doing this and i must say at least PC-BSD are they even made some nice little programs for FreeBSD system and its only on FreeBSD eh and its to see it i mean (pcbsd/freebsd) system. and a DE would complete the system to be actually a real Solaris / SCO type UNIX system as that is what UNIX is in its philosophy a system as a whole BSD kernel, userland, X11, DE, and utils. If you really don't find this to be wonderful move from PC-BSD developers i sense jealousy much.

So please GNU/Linux "fanboy" stop making fun of BSD. If you don't like us or like the operating system then just stop bitching about it, and use your GNU/Linux and be happy. It's good to see BSD developers making stuff from themself for once instead of porting linux stuff. It is a good thing not a bad thing.

Nobody wants to give BSD any credit because they ignore it and don't use and not willing to understand it. People lose their way what a UNIX system is. BSD open source OSes are not AT&T UNIX, but they are very close to Solaris SunOS UNIX. GNU/Linux is much like VMS and Windows NT i'm not trolling i'm just being very honest. Not like I have anything against NT or OpenVMS either I find a OS is good for what u need and what works good for you.

So I kindly ask maybe next time when people post on here to re-think what they are saying. Let's make UNIX cool again lets bring back the tradition. Let's try to get along with each other after all we are all loving Open Source Software and OSes and Free Software. So stop the "fanboy/ego-ism" and just try to be cool or be happy for other OSes doing something fresh and new. Please Keep it real man.

I live in Canada and I know alot of IT love using FreeBSD and OpenBSD alot also heavy GNU/Linux User we don't fight among each other man.. to what works best for you.

Cheers,
      Gary

Comment

Hey I sign up to just let a few steam out, as I see alot of hatred towards BSD each time I read Phoronix log.

One User said that BSD is so far away from BSD UNIX that the rewritten was just not UNIX anymore and its more like GNU/Linux ? Last time I check that BSD only had to re-written 20% of their code which was a Network stack and some other bits in the kernel. other than that it is still the bsd system. they still use the BSD init the bsd kernel is much the same just more modular than UNIX VMUNIX, if you use NetBSD and OpenBSD you can see alot of Ultrix 4.0 BSD UNIX in it alot.

FreeBSD is much like older BSD UNIX as well and also reminds me alot like Solaris in some ways. The reason why PC-BSD want to make a new / their own DE is because they said its getting harder and harder to port DE to BSD because all the developers focus on GNU/Linux OS and ignore the BSD OS. Alot of people with the hateful attitude i see on here is just really sad to see in today world.

GNU/Linux is not even close to UNIX or even BSD it use to be more like BSD and UNIX back in the day, but now GNU/Linux is more like Windows NT alot and that is really sad to see.. I use WIndows 8.1 on one HDD and using cygwin64 reminds me of using Ubuntu with the simular bottom panel and all that stuff.. user friendly dumb down desktop like ubuntu, linux mint .. eos etc etc. bling bling.

FreeBSD and most BSDs are bare bone server os they are probably the most stable OS out there.. freebsd can have a uptime so long and not lose any preformance and it just solid like a rock. if you don't believe me ask any system admin that uses FreeBSD for a Server OS they will say the samething.. Yes GNU/Linux is popular and its on alot of different type of computers of all sorts. BSD is a software company and they do well for what it is.. You have to look that BSD have to go up against all the open source oses + windows nt + os x + other systems and I must say that GNU/Linux being popular and all people still like BSD.

BSD havn't change much from BSD UNIX (well me personally i think its still a UNIX type system) the userland still feels / look like ultrix and even darwin userland feels like older freebsd userland.

I used GNU/Linux for 13+ years and still do once in awhile. The reason I stop using GNU/Linux hardcore is, because I found BSD and I've been using it for a few years and I really love the system I always like BSD even when i was a Hardcore GNU/Linux "Fanboy", I try all sort of OSes because i'm a Computer Geek this is what We love to do.

So please stop hating on BSD so much. I could be a dick and list alot false things about the Linux Kernel design and how all you GNU/Linux people keep calling the os you use by its Kernel name. I don't really agree on RMS that much, but at least he is right why people call the "operating system" by the kernel name as i really don't know why people do this. GNU is actually the Operating System not the core of the system aka Linux.

Yes Linux Kernel can work without GNU but it wouldn't be a Operating system like GNU just saying so please stop calling it Linux. PC-BSD is making their own DE which is nice to see because nobody in the BSD community are doing this and i must say at least PC-BSD are they even made some nice little programs for FreeBSD system and its only on FreeBSD eh and its nice to see it i mean (pcbsd/freebsd) system. and a DE would complete the system to be actually a real Solaris / SCO type UNIX system as that is what UNIX is in its philosophy a system as a whole BSD kernel, userland, X11, DE, and utils. If you really don't find this to be wonderful move from PC-BSD developers i sense jealousy much.

So please GNU/Linux "fanboy" stop making fun of BSD. If you don't like us or like the operating system then just stop bitching about it, and use your GNU/Linux and be happy. It's good to see BSD developers making stuff from themself for once instead of porting linux stuff. It is a good thing not a bad thing.

Nobody wants to give BSD any credit because they ignore it and don't use and not willing to understand it. People lose their way what a UNIX system is. BSD open source OSes are not AT&T UNIX, but they are very close to Solaris SunOS UNIX. GNU/Linux is much like VMS and Windows NT i'm not trolling i'm just being very honest. Not like I have anything against NT or OpenVMS either I find a OS is good for what u need and what works good for you.

So I kindly ask maybe next time when people post on here to re-think what they are saying. Let's make UNIX cool again lets bring back the tradition. Let's try to get along with each other after all we are all loving Open Source Software and OSes and Free Software. So stop the "fanboy/ego-ism" and just try to be cool or be happy for other OSes doing something fresh and new. Please Keep it real man.

I live in Canada and I know alot of IT love using FreeBSD and OpenBSD alot also heavy GNU/Linux User we don't fight among each other man.. to what works best for you.

Cheers,
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by raz0redge View Post
          That is because there is an anti-BSD troll who makes countless sockpuppet accounts and attempts to derail any discussion into a pro/con BSD flamefest.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            That is because there is an anti-BSD troll who makes countless sockpuppet accounts and attempts to derail any discussion into a pro/con BSD flamefest.
            Sadly few actual pros or cons really get mentioned (which would have made them useful and interesting) in those flamefests as opposed to FUD and trolling for as far as the eye can see, but then again this is phoronix so that's kinda the status quo.

Comment

Inco
              Oh no... more BSD fanboy trolls coming to poison the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
                Oh no... more BSD fanboy trolls coming to poison the environment.
                So says the person with 8 posts, all of which are anti-BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  So says the person with 8 posts, all of which are anti-BSD.
                  Actually he has more posts, you just have to find all the other sockpuppet accounts and count those posts also. Nonetheless you will find that all of them still are anti-BSD.

Comment

The reason why PC-BSD want to make a new / their own DE is because they said its getting harder and harder to port DE to BSD because all the developers focus on GNU/Linux OS and ignore the BSD OS.
                    Well it's the tragedy of marketshare, it's not so much that those developers are ignoring it, as Linux simply has significantly more market share than any of the BSDs, and so as a result there are much fewer BSD developers involved in developing desktop environments. While it's the job of the DE developers to insure that their design is properly abstracted away from the OS in order to work on multiple platforms it's not their job to ensure that it works on platforms they don't use. It would be nice if they did but that's rarely the case.

I will say from my personal perspective as a user I can't run BSD until their port of the Radeon KMS driver supports dynamic power management because I run exclusively AMD hardware, and BSD doesn't have Catalyst. Also it's very hard to put forward a convincing argument as to why I should use anything other than openSUSE I even decided to dabble in Gentoo for 2 months as a bit of an educational experiment and found that I wasn't really getting any more flexibility out of it than out of openSUSE while having to do more work for the same results. I'm planning on doing a similar experiment with PC-BSD once proper hardware support comes in, which I figure can't be that far off now that they've done the initial KMS port (10.1? 10.2?).

PC-BSD is making their own DE which is nice to see because nobody in the BSD community are doing this and i must say at least PC-BSD are they even made some nice little programs for FreeBSD system and its only on FreeBSD eh and its nice to see it i mean (pcbsd/freebsd) system. and a DE would complete the system to be actually a real Solaris / SCO type UNIX system as that is what UNIX is in its philosophy a system as a whole BSD kernel, userland, X11, DE, and utils. If you really don't find this to be wonderful move from PC-BSD developers i sense jealousy much.
                    Well... beyond the Anti-BSD nuts, those who are against PC-BSD making their own DE are the kinds of people who feel that there shouldn't be 101 options for everything, and feel that it is detrimental to the OSS community as a whole to have another one, I don't think anyone opposes it based upon "jealousy". Finally I find that people who go on spouting about the "UNIX philosophy" are generally the ones who truly don't understand it and are generally just using it as an argument against change. Those who understand it will generally argue based upon the principle and not even mention the words "UNIX philosophy".

Comment

I for one find this fantastic news. Gets me ever closer to having more options for a GPL free desktop. FreeBSD is technology wise superior to Linux, and I believe part of it is the more moderate BSD and MIT licenses. FreeBSD has ZFS which is miles ahead of any Linux filesystem, its init system is impeccable and easy to debug, ports and pkgng are also very good. Besides lack of market share and a smaller library of programs there are very few reasons not to use it, besides issues with AMD cards and wireless devices. OpenBSD is very good too but they should rip out GCC for some other compiler. Anyone using a GNU utility is unfortunately contributing to the problem of free software.

Comment

Working...
                      X