Bye bye BSD, Hello Linux: A Sys Admin's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Linux to FreeBSD

Please note that, once again, my defense to BSD comes as a consequence of Linux fanboy trolls.

Just typing "From Linux to FreeBSD" on Google Search:

About 2 months ago, I had a spare VPS at my host, Hetzner. So I decided to play with FreeBSD which was being offered for Hetzner servers and VPSes.That’s how the whole thing started. I didn&#…

How technology supported advocacy in ExperiencePoint's conversionThis talk will outline the strategy used to migrate a small Canadian software company's Linu...

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
      Please note that, once again, my defense to BSD comes as a consequence of Linux fanboy trolls.

Just typing "From Linux to FreeBSD" on Google Search:

About 2 months ago, I had a spare VPS at my host, Hetzner. So I decided to play with FreeBSD which was being offered for Hetzner servers and VPSes.That’s how the whole thing started. I didn&#…

How technology supported advocacy in ExperiencePoint's conversionThis talk will outline the strategy used to migrate a small Canadian software company's Linu...

http://miwi.cc/2012/03/why-freebsd-my-personal-view/
      I didnt watch the utube video but the rest looks like seperate personal users (that showes not how many it uses but only how pationate are the few that use it) that try to generate a hype that bsd is better than linux and all who is cool will migrate to bsd from linux.

And its in the nature of the thing that u only find blog entries from migrating from the system with more users to the smaller one. Why would somebody first try out bsd and then see ohh linux is so much better lets post about it. He/She would directly switch to linux from windows most likely.

10 Years ago there were maybe thousends of blogposts how linux is better than unix. So google after it. BSD is a unix so the points did not change much. Linux is free and more supported = better.

Sry if thats a bit fanboyish, but my point is dont let yourself confuse about some few people that search with the microscope small advantages that are even discussiable on bsd and try to generate a new coolness or something for using bsd.

Even if linux would be minimal less good in some aspects than bsd, it doesnt matter linux is always good enough in every aspekt. Most people use even windows even stick to horrific windows xp which is 1000x worse than every GNU or Unix System and live with that.

Most people use bsd in my opinion because they hate the gpl. Else u get more support and more developer hours in linux. And maybe people like to be in a small exclusive group or something like that. Whats it called tribalism.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        I didnt watch the utube video but the rest looks like seperate personal users (that showes not how many it uses but only how pationate are the few that use it) that try to generate a hype that bsd is better than linux and all who is cool will migrate to bsd from linux.

And its in the nature of the thing that u only find blog entries from migrating from the system with more users to the smaller one. Why would somebody first try out bsd and then see ohh linux is so much better lets post about it. He/She would directly switch to linux from windows most likely.

10 Years ago there were maybe thousends of blogposts how linux is better than unix. So google after it. BSD is a unix so the points did not change much. Linux is free and more supported = better.

Sry if thats a bit fanboyish, but my point is dont let yourself confuse about some few people that search with the microscope small advantages that are even discussiable on bsd and try to generate a new coolness or something for using bsd.

Even if linux would be minimal less good in some aspects than bsd, it doesnt matter linux is always good enough in every aspekt. Most people use even windows even stick to horrific windows xp which is 1000x worse than every GNU or Unix System and live with that.

Most people use bsd in my opinion because they hate the gpl. Else u get more support and more developer hours in linux. And maybe people like to be in a small exclusive group or something like that. Whats it called tribalism.
        Sure... I was just trying to show that "endman's" argument is irrelevant; people change from one system to another evey day, and stays with the system that he feels does the job best. You can find stories from people changing to BSD from Linux, and viceversa, quite easily. Obviously, both Linux and BSD can be used to serve, and they both work great; in the end it is more a matter of taste.

PS: You should watch the Youtube video.

Comment

Sure, there are a lot of BSD users that feel they need to bash Linux, and are often saying very moronic things. The answer isn't however to do the same thing in reverse. And by the way; if you feel BSDs really are irrelevent, why do you even need to talk about them? They're irrelevant, right?

Comment

Choice of BSD is not due to a matter of taste but of prejudice and bigotry

Originally posted by Sergio
            Sure... I was just trying to show that "endman's" argument is irrelevant; people change from one system to another evey day, and stays with the system that he feels does the job best. You can find stories from people changing to BSD from Linux, and viceversa, quite easily. Obviously, both Linux and BSD can be used to serve, and they both work great; in the end it is more a matter of taste.
            Yes I agree, people change do change from one system to another every day. But more people have been changing from BSD to Linux then vice versa. This has been happening since 2000. During that time, the usage ratio of FreeBSD to Linux on web servers was 2:3. Today its 1:1000 and trend is continuing today and will do so until BSD is gone.

Generally speaking, blackiwid is correct when he was talking about why some people use BSD. Just compare Linux and BSD with an unbiased mind. Linux has surpassed all BSDs in virtually all fields and it’s virtually so much easier to use. This is the case even when comparing Gentoo to FreeBSD. Linux performance has far surpass BSD’s performance in virtually every area. It is literally is a joke to see both FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD trying implement speed improvements just to achieve 60% Linux’s speed. If most people who chose BSD did it due to taste, then they must have an extremely bad sense of taste. No. Rather it is their prejudices and bigotry that cause them to choose BSD, their prejudice against work done by open community, freedom, sharing, non-corporate organisations and humanity which translates to hatred of GPL, GNU, Linux, Linux users and Free software.

The only other possible thing that drives people to choose BSD is schizophrenia.

Originally posted by Sergio
            PS: You should watch the Youtube video.
            I’ve watched that video a while ago, the upper echelon of that company has been infiltrated by BSD fanboys and Apple agents. The same thing happened with The New York Internet, Pair Networks, Netflix, IXSystems, The Internet Systems Consortium and Yahoo (before they kicked that bastard out). Such companies are bound to make very poor decisions and often go down in market value until those individuals are fired. One way to determine if a company is worth investing in is to see whether or not they are using BSD servers because any usage of BSD (except code usage for proprietary products) in the company’s supply chain is going to cause a reduction in overall efficiency and effectiveness of that supply chain and the company itself.

When I was doing my college degree, I led a group assignment in which the goal was to create a server farm that could host a number of different services include a search engine that we were supposed to program and implement. One of my group members demanded that we use FreeBSD as the OS for the servers because according to him it would be easier to manage and harder to get compromised which I knew was a lie. I tried to reason with him about it but he instead got very abusive and tried turning the other group members against me. I finally had no choice but to request permission from the lecturer to remove him from the group. The request was granted and he was given a fail for that assignment due to his offensive behaviour. The last time I saw him, was when he was eligible for food stamps and had to regularly go for detox treatments.

Comment

Don't know why I bother...

I don't know why I still bother about this guy, but here it goes...

Originally posted by endman View Post
              Yes I agree, people change do change from one system to another every day. But more people have been changing from BSD to Linux then vice versa. This has been happening since 2000. During that time, the usage ratio of FreeBSD to Linux on web servers was 2:3. Today its 1:1000 and trend is continuing today and will do so until BSD is gone.
              So Linux is much widely used than BSD... Do you have anything new to say? People have been killing BSD since the lawsuit; BSD will never die. You are going to have to live with it (it shouldn't be hard if BSD were really irrelevant).

Generally speaking, blackiwid is correct when he was talking about why some people use BSD. Just compare Linux and BSD with an unbiased mind.
              Hahahahahaha, the irony...

Linux has surpassed all BSDs in virtually all fields and it?s virtually so much easier to use. This is the case even when comparing Gentoo to FreeBSD. Linux performance has far surpass BSD?s performance in virtually every area. It is literally is a joke to see both FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD trying implement speed improvements just to achieve 60% Linux?s speed.
              As usual, you talking complete garbage without providing anything useful.

If most people who chose BSD did it due to taste, then they must have an extremely bad sense of taste. No. Rather it is their prejudices and bigotry that cause them to choose BSD, their prejudice against work done by open community, freedom, sharing, non-corporate organisations and humanity which translates to hatred of GPL, GNU, Linux, Linux users and Free software.
              Even more BS... Are you even reading yourself? Talking about prejudices...

The only other possible thing that drives people to choose BSD is schizophrenia.
              Are you making a confession here? I'm seriously thinking that you are mentally illed... And no, it is not meant as an attack; this is serious shit and you need to seek help.

I?ve watched that video a while ago, the upper echelon of that company has been infiltrated by BSD fanboys and Apple agents. The same thing happened with The New York Internet, Pair Networks, Netflix, IXSystems, The Internet Systems Consortium and Yahoo (before they kicked that bastard out). Such companies are bound to make very poor decisions and often go down in market value until those individuals are fired. One way to determine if a company is worth investing in is to see whether or not they are using BSD servers because any usage of BSD (except code usage for proprietary products) in the company?s supply chain is going to cause a reduction in overall efficiency and effectiveness of that supply chain and the company itself.
              Hilarious...

When I was doing my college degree, I led a group assignment in which the goal was to create a server farm that could host a number of different services include a search engine that we were supposed to program and implement. One of my group members demanded that we use FreeBSD as the OS for the servers because according to him it would be easier to manage and harder to get compromised which I knew was a lie. I tried to reason with him about it but he instead got very abusive and tried turning the other group members against me. I finally had no choice but to request permission from the lecturer to remove him from the group. The request was granted and he was given a fail for that assignment due to his offensive behaviour. The last time I saw him, was when he was eligible for food stamps and had to regularly go for detox treatments.
              Again, I suspect you are making a confession... It is quite obvious that what you are describing here perfectly fits your personality.

As an advice: Forget all this stupidness, get a life and don't waste it on things that are not worth it.

Comment

Please don't feed the troll.
                The best way to deal with this one: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/profi...ignore&u=77586

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  Please don't feed the troll.
                  The best way to deal with this one: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/profi...ignore&u=77586
                  Reporting Vim_User for attempting to use a Cross Site Request Forgery attack against other users.

This is a serious violation of Internet rules.
                  Last edited by endman; 06 April 2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

This is a serious violation of Internet rules.
                    The Internet rules eh? Oh no, the Internet police are going to come and get you.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                      Generally speaking, you might be right. Linux is developed by many companies, individuals, and institutions on constant basis, so the quality of the code and capabilities of Linux generally surpass every OS out there minus some very specialized ones a la z/os specifically designed to work on mainframes. Nowadays, all is see is how feature A from Linux is going to get ported to BSD, never the other way around, which suggests that all BSD projects are dead or dying of they have completely stagnated.

Right now the biggest bsd user is Apple, which is its biggest liability.
                      Funny you said this, because I actually emailed a suggestion about 2 years ago urging Apple to drop all *BSD as its backend and move on with Linux ahead. That would be Tim Cook's mark on Apple, but I have serious doubts as to his assertiveness, vision and chutzpah of the kind that Jobs had, to pull something like that off. Cook, IMHO, can be whipped into submission by his board, shareholders... He does not have the balls to stick his neck out the way Jobs did when he got sidelined ("fired") prior to his departure and establishing NeXT.

Clearly, from a technical standpoint, it would be hard for Apple to justify such a move - OS X, with its BSD roots, works well as it is. And even if it doesn't, Apple could afford to hire kernel hackers out the wazoo, to literally re-do each portion that might not be up to snuff...

I've always maintained that if someone like Microsoft, or perhaps now Apple - adopted Linux... they will have a financial as well as a technical renaissance assured for the next 20+ years.

The very source of Apple's success since Jobs took back the reigns was these two and only these two things - the paradigm shift from OS 9 to OS X (incorporating BSD/UNIX/Mach as the OS driving their new platform), and the second, equally as important event - moving away from PPC to Intel. These events introduced the pivotal moment, the paradigm shift that gave rise to the new Apple.

Cook could do the same - but I'm not yet seeing how Linux would make an equally great impact in their already successful OS/hardware portfolio, particularly when you consider they have resources to turn Mach or whatever BSD aspect of the underlying OS they want, inside out.... One thing I'd love to see is the death of Windows hastened as much as possible... so maybe something along them lines.... not sure...

Comment

Working...
                      X