Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    (about OpenSUSE)
    - No default internet. On a release version. On a major distro. .... No comment.
    I got no idea how you got that - the installer by default configures the network card to use dhcp via ifup (on desktops) or networkmanager (on laptops) - I just today installed 7 OpenSUSE machines at work, all work flawlessly.

back on topic - I agree - the greatest problem is in people - they will put up with any crazy stuff an OS does as long as they know it (I'm talking about windows), but as soon as there's anything a little bit different then it's suddenly a major problem! They just don't think!

I didn't take part in the 'compile & bootstrap your own linux kernel' era of the 90s - I started using GNU/Linux in 2001, when mostly everything had nice and graphical alternatives to cli interfaces. I still remember KDE2 and how I configured my ppp modem after I hacked together and compiled the driver for it (and it was running good 30% faster than on windows). Fast forward to today and we have people trowing tantrum over modern distros that literally do everything automatically for them, but it's a problem cause some icon is a little bit too much to the left :-P. What the hell happened?! Anyway, get off my lawn :-P.

One more thing…*the most important thing about installing any operating system is making sure that the hardware supports it. Many ppl buy just any machine they think is fancy enough for them, try to install GNU and suddenly they find out that some hardware doesn't work. This is to be expected with such mindset, without doing research on which hardware manufacturer supports GNU properly, you only get a random chance on how will the GNU OS behave. This is not a GNU/Linux problem, this is a problem with ppl and with hardware manufacturers that do not support GNU.
    Last edited by Cyber Killer; 12 March 2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Michael

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets

With my upgrade to a new Intel Haswell ultrabook from ASUS, I am no longer relying upon an Apple Retina MacBook Pro and thus no OS X... I also switched from Unity to Xfce with my Linux environment. However, so far it hasn't been a totally positive experience...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNzM
      Michael, if Ubuntu is finally running on Intel P-state (not sure if this applies otherwise, though it might) then make sure you have thermald ( https://github.com/01org/thermal_daemon ) installed and running. If Ubuntu doesn't ship it then its a super easy compile. On my laptop its the difference of between 5 and 10 degrees of temperature
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        But on the note of scammy-looking third party software. It's horrible on Android as well as Windows. EVERYTHING is freaking ad supported. Unless you want to fork out the dough, but most of the 'apps' that I use are pretty typically just little free ones that shouldn't need access to all of my information, and shouldn't need to pull advertisements in constantly. Sure there were a few ad-supported bits of software for the N9, but the majority of them were just awesome.
        Yea, it's really horrible. After all this time using Linux pretty much exclusively (and only using specific programs on Windows as needed), and now getting to play around with some Android apps, I was taken aback. On Linux I go into the package manager, search for a program, install it, and I know that it might not be featureful, it might not look nice, it might not even be very stable, but it sure as heck will not have a giant ad on half the screen and won't continuously beg you to register to some shifty website. And Linux programs usually look more professional, too, with some thought put into the arrangement and presentation so you could work with it. Not so for quite a few android apps I've seen so far. Thankfully there is F-Droid. Although it has a limited selection, you can still expect app quality to be more like on Linux there.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          I do not know if I agree with this. Even with the super-duper recommended hardware on hackintosh-enthusiast sites, I have not found that it matches the experience of owning an actual/real Mac. OSX, for all of its shortcomings, is more than just a global menu and cairodock. I wish that there were a linux distro that matched (and exceeded) the experience for casual productivity and home use, as it would save me a fortune 4 years from now.
          When was the last time you tried it? I've run mountain lion in vmware with improper GPU drivers and most of the experience was very smooth - the only major issues were anything GPU intensive. Since I only run Mac for experimental and developmental purposes, this wasn't a problem for me. I've run snow leo on a socket 939 Opteron and the only recurring issues I encountered were incompatibility with 64-bit programs (something only AMD/P4/Atom users suffered) and video lag in flash (HTML5 videos worked fine). It also didn't support the integrated audio, so I installed a separate PCI sound card. The key to a good hackintosh is to modify the OS as little as possible. If you can get an unhacked retail version to boot with the assistance of a fake EFI, then you'll get a near-seamless experience. If you happen to install too many unnecessary kexts, you're better off starting fresh. I reinstalled my old AMD hackintosh about 10 times until it worked properly, so it takes patience.

Personally though, I think the Mac interface is very slow for productive purposes. It's very user friendly and fast for everyday use, but task management is slow and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            I got no idea how you got that - the installer by default configures the network card to use dhcp via ifup (on desktops) or networkmanager (on laptops) - I just today installed 7 OpenSUSE machines at work, all work flawlessly.
            Indeed, I have never seen any of those problems he's describing. And in any case, if they actually happen, then the first thing is to ask on #suse and perhaps someone will have an idea of what's going on. Needless to say such things are *not* what normally happens when installing openSUSE. My last installation of it went "ImageWriter; put USB key in laptop; answer installer questions (mostly with "next", just some changes to partitioning); wait a bit; use the fully working OS". And no, updates do not require restarts. You get a small message telling you that a new kernel won't be activated until you restart, but that's obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Linux on the Desktop sucks, it always sucked and it will always suck.
              I've been using "Linux on the Desktop" for fifteen years, and it's been fine. You must be doing it wrong.

Comment

Maybe just try Enlightenment:
                We have put a lot of effort into UI scalability, but have taken a new tack on it. We don't just scale with DPI. We realize that UI scaling is not a function of DPI, but a function of pixels within the visible viewable angle of your eye AND the acuity of your eyesight. These things we just can't know: if your UI is on a 20dpi TV on the other side of the living room, or no a 300dpi+ smartphone right next to your face is unknown to us. We also don't know how good your eyesight is, so... we ask you which size looks good to you. Choose the one you like best. You can, later on, fine-tune this if you want and ask E17 to scale with DPI if that's what you prefer etc.
                http://www.enlightenment.org/?p=about/e17

Comment

I'm using Mint 16 on my laptop, and it feels and works very nicely. My only issue is the graphics GPU switching between the discrete and integrated. Even with the 3.13.5 kernel, the Cinnamon UI can still lock up. I also installed XFCE, cause it doesn't crash and handles the GPUs better, but it's an ugly and dysfunctional UI to use. So I continue to use Cinnamon.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
                    I've been using "Linux on the Desktop" for fifteen years, and it's been fine. You must be doing it wrong.
                    lucky you, I've been using Linux on netbooks, notebooks, htpc and high-end desktops, with several distros and several DEs, and it's not always been fine (although it mostly is).
                    My latest gripe is that Fedora does not always suspend and fails to resume on my netbook. So I'll try to debug and solve that, but it cannot really count as "fine".

Comment

At the current state of matters you cannot have proper laptop behavior under variable use cases when running Linux bare-metal on windows laptop because of the different thermal profile of both systems. I've seen this behavior on a number of laptops. They were performing very well under Windows, but once you start running Linux bare-metal the system starts behaving weirdly because of the different thermals when running Linux. Best case scenario is short battery life. Worst case is constant overheating problems. Somewhere in the middle is erratic behavior of the fans in the system, which results in noisier and less agreeable experience with the machine. Unfortunately, we won't see this fixed at least in the next two to four years.

The problems that you might experience under high load are more typical of the general ultrabook experience. Mine does the same thing - as soon as you start compiling or running heavy calculations the fans ramp up to intolerable speeds. It's literally like you're on a runway and there's a plane taking off ten meters from you. But, if you use it for e-mails, writing stuff and Internet it does its job fairly well. This problem won't be solved any time soon because it takes effort from many companies and most of them are just interested in taking your money, not making good hardware. The only company that has solved both these problems is Apple.

I don't understand why you decided to run xfce instead of kde or unity. Their latest versions have decent high-dpi support. At least much better than whatever xfce has. I just don't get that part.

Comment

Working...
                      X