Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    people's attitude to software

The reason for terrible desktop linux adoption, summed up in one sentence.
    FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      Glad to have that cleared up... never know who might be interested in your self-centered-opinion to.

"Make everyone happy"... you're hilarious!
      If you believe what you say makes sense, then it goes for you too.
      More likely you prefer to sit on Mikey's lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        I just don't get people who install desktops like XFCE or LXDE on high end hardware with monster CPUs and loads of RAM and complain that all the new fancy hardware features don't work. You should just switch to KDE (or GNOME) & I'll bet that you find out that dpi settings work ok on those desktops (KDE might even set it automatically).
        Yea, I think Michael should do some DE exploring at this point. It's a good opportunity to do so, too.

Mind you, on KDE, they have font scaling and not much else in Plasma 4. But good DPI scaling is one of the focus points for Plasma Next, and also something that Wayland does nicely.

Comment

So, lots of time of running Ubuntu over OSX (VM powered), then using Xubuntu with XFCE as main OS for a little time? Might be really too soon to give a decisive feedback i think. I join the other posters above in recommending a more evolved UI (GNOME 3x or KDE) but also i can recommend using a different distro. I am not sure about Xubuntu, I never used it but why not Debian or Fedora or OpenSUSE, ... (add here whatever general purpose distro you want)? I can understand that Michael is busy these days but i would kindly ask to resume the work on Ubuntu over MAC as primary system and continue the reviews on different distros + UIs over the ASUS Ultrabook.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            I can't argue about your sentiment of not sacrificing usability on the alter of design purity. Still, I think that you might want to try out gnome 3.12. That should work very well with hidpi displays and, since you're already using lots of gnome apps, you might end up with better battery life. That actually would make an interesting article...
            +1 for GNOME 3.12 with high-dpi-mode.

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
              So, lots of time of running Ubuntu over OSX (VM powered), then using Xubuntu with XFCE as main OS for a little time? Might be really too soon to give a decisive feedback i think. I join the other posters above in recommending a more evolved UI (GNOME 3x or KDE) but also i can recommend using a different distro. I am not sure about Xubuntu, I never used it but why not Debian or Fedora or OpenSUSE, ... (add here whatever general purpose distro you want)? I can understand that Michael is busy these days but i would kindly ask to resume the work on Ubuntu over MAC as primary system and continue the reviews on different distros + UIs over the ASUS Ultrabook.
              I use KDE on Fedora on a Yoga 2 Pro (even higher DPI) and can recommend it.

The current plasma doesn't scale properly but is still mostly usable (apart from on-screen keyboard), and other than that DPI scaling seems to work for a lot of apps. It's not automatic DPI scaling though, so switching to an external screen with different DPI might require a compromise.

But Windows 8.1 (desktop) is actually worse, since it maxes out at 200% scaling, which is still quite small.

Comment

I don't get it...

Xfce settings but so far it doesn't appear the desktop environment works too well on HiDPI screens.
                I don't get it. Settings Manager -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Custom DPI setting -> enter DPI. Seems to scale virtually all fonts and UI elements and does not requires complicated steps. Anything wrong with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  what is stopping you from using Windows 8.1 and running Linux from a VM like always?
                  Dude, on my HiDPI screen of 2560x1440 even that simplistic XFCE on xubuntu can at least set up native LCD resolution "by default" - when I just installed system. Windows on other hand would default to some insane garbage instead of native screen resolution. And it's not like it handles DPI stuff reasonably well either. These days windows "plug and play" suxx a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh
                    I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend. Or a life for that matter.
                    says the person who has nothing better to do than sit around in a linux/tech-tabloid forum and insult someone over a mildly aggressive post by another person towards the author of the site.

Pot meet kettle.
                    (whenever I see this kind of response in this kind of situation I just have to point that out)

Comment

Originally posted by arokh
                      I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend. Or a life for that matter.
                      Sorry to break to you Sherlock, but I'm happily married with a kid.

Comment

Working...
                      X