OpenBSD Foundation At Risk Of Shutting Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigy_
    But even without going that far, OpenSSH alone should amount for something. Learn to give respect where respect is due, people.
    Anyone who chose to use the BSD license deserves no respect. OpenSSH has been a security nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by beetreetime View Post
      Anyone who chose to use the BSD license deserves no respect from me, because. OpenSSH has been a security nightmare.
      Fixed that for you

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        Seriously, the amount of anti-BSD hysteria ITT isn't healthy even by Phoronix standards. I prefer Linux myself, but let's be honest: in some situations OpenBSD has no real competition. For instance, when you need a really secure router but can't afford Cisco.
        Cisco? Secure? Have you been reading the news in the last year?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          People can donate money to them in bitcoin, they save money from not having to pay paypal, convert the bitcoins to whatever currency the electric department wants and pay them in that. What exactly is hard to understand about this?

And volatility? Let alone "incredible"? In recent times, bitcoin's value has only gone up. How exactly is it bad again, if people donate bitcoin to a project, and they end up with more money than originally was donated? There hasn't yet been a case where bitcoin's value would have dropped so much as to actually cause significant losses to anyone who would have purchased them right before.

Damn luddites.
          The conversion is not free. What exactly is hard to understand about this?

For your second paragraph, I'll assume you have no idea about how past performances are not representative of future ones, and I'll just quote any random banker circa 2006, especially the ones dealing with, says, sub-primes:
          "In the last 50 years, the property market has only gone up. How exactly is it bad again, if people invest in real estate, and they end up with more money than originally was borrowed? There hasn't yet been a case where the property market would have dropped so much as to actually cause significant losses to anyone who would have invested in it right before."
          oops.

People thinking like you are the reason why bubbles exist, and this does not exclude bitcoins.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
            Go fix your electrical bills before talking shit. OpenBSD loser.
            Someone's a little grumpy! ♪ Awh, poor little fella didn't get enough sleep last night.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              /sigh

Seriously, the amount of anti-BSD hysteria ITT isn't healthy even by Phoronix standards. I prefer Linux myself, but let's be honest: in some situations OpenBSD has no real competition. For instance, when you need a really secure router but can't afford Cisco. But even without going that far, OpenSSH alone should amount for something. Learn to give respect where respect is due, people.
              It's refreshing to see posts like these. It's important to remember that Linux and the BSDs are natural allies in the quest for Free Software. And without OpenBSD, the whole of the UNIX(-like) world would be set back many years in security terms.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p
                It's refreshing to see posts like these. It's important to remember that Linux and the BSDs are natural allies in the quest for Free Software. And without OpenBSD, the whole of the UNIX(-like) world would be set back many years in security terms.
                Are you kidding me? OpenBSD approach to security is total bullshit and most of it doesn't even affect linux or other unicies except OpenSSH which held back security for years.

Comment

Are you kidding me? OpenBSD approach to security is total bullshit and most of it doesn't even affect linux or other unicies except OpenSSH which held back security for years.
                  Please, less of the claptrap. You are stating positions with no sources and throwing big claims around. Back them up or don't bother. I prefer to see evidence than wild rants.

Comment

Comment

Worthless

OpenBSD Foundation is polishing the brass on the Titanic, to use a famous quote from the greatest movie ever.

The OpenBSD Foundation is a Canadian federal non-profit organization founded by the OpenBSD project "as a single point of contact for persons and organizations requiring a legal entity to deal with when they wish to support OpenBSD

Sounds just like a patent troll to me.

So exactly what is their value?

Comment

Working...
                      X