OpenBSD Foundation At Risk Of Shutting Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a user View Post
    ironically you made the first troll post in this thread.
    Don't feed the troll. Seriously, it's pointless arguing with his righteousness.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
      Not exactly, as the OpenBSD Foundation is based in Canada, and Canada has such a provision for those NPOs that receive charitable status from the Canadian Revenue Agency. The point isn't that one nation's regulations with regard to the deductibility of donations is a global catchall (I realize it isn't), the point is that every extra bit counts.
      ..cut..
      Thanks, that was enlightening. So such a move would not close any doors, but would open one.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        Also BSD and the like are not "free", they are "open". The word "free" is not mentioned at all, while GPL is explicitly dedicated to protecting "freedom" and includes definition of "free" in Preamble.
        The trouble is that the FSF don't have the right to declare what the word "free" means with respect to software. "Free Software" isn't a trademark that they own or a term that they have any right to control.

Comment

I don't know if it's the spin or the editing, but this supposed plea for help comes along as quite arrogant and self-righteous. Statements like this:

If you don't realize this is the reason we try to run on the older platforms, I am sorry but you have really not tried to stay in the loop of what makes OpenBSD a vibrant ecosystem.
          Given how they failed as an entity to stay alive it's a bit condescending to anyone who would like to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            So such a move would not close any doors, but would open one.
            As a general principle, I do think tax deductions (where applicable) can help incentivize larger donations, but I obviously can't guarantee that it would make the needed difference for the OpenBSD Foundation. The OpenBSD Foundation's stance is that "the reporting overhead (accounting and legal costs) to operate a registered charity in Canada is prohibitive without a sizable revenue stream." I'm only suggesting that if OpenBSD really is in dire financial straits then perhaps the OpenBSD Foundation should review if/how it can be more effective (and that extends beyond reassessing its charity status approach, though I only chose to focus on that particular point). One thing I am certain of is that a bake sale won't save the day.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
              As a general principle, I do think tax deductions (where applicable) can help incentivize larger donations, but I obviously can't guarantee that it would make the needed difference for the OpenBSD Foundation. The OpenBSD Foundation's stance is that "the reporting overhead (accounting and legal costs) to operate a registered charity in Canada is prohibitive without a sizable revenue stream." I'm only suggesting that if OpenBSD really is in dire financial straits then perhaps the OpenBSD Foundation should review if/how it can be more effective (and that extends beyond reassessing its charity status approach, though I only chose to focus on that particular point). One thing I am certain of is that a bake sale won't save the day.
              I don't think so either. How many people actually file a tax return anyways? In my native of Germany, not many people, even though there's money in it for them. I don't look at the tax status of donations. On a more personal note, I don't think the government gets to decide which causes are worthy and which aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                It is free software, free as in free speech, not beer.
                If you dislike "free", you can use "libre".

Also BSD and the like are not "free", they are "open". The word "free" is not mentioned at all, while GPL is explicitly dedicated to protecting "freedom" and includes definition of "free" in Preamble.

For those in confusion, go read license text first.
                Sorry, you know nothing about freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio
                  Sorry, you know nothing about freedom.
                  Go fix your electrical bills before talking shit. OpenBSD loser.

Comment

That's a shame

Definitely a shame. There was a time (and it may still be true now) when OpenBSD had the most support for various Wi-Fi chipsets. Some of those drivers were ported to FreeBSD (and I'm sure Linux too).

They also maintain pf which is continuously integrated back into FreeBSD and possibly other BSDs. Pf is a pretty nice firewall.

Sad times for OpenBSD.

Comment

/sigh

Seriously, the amount of anti-BSD hysteria ITT isn't healthy even by Phoronix standards. I prefer Linux myself, but let's be honest: in some situations OpenBSD has no real competition. For instance, when you need a really secure router but can't afford Cisco. But even without going that far, OpenSSH alone should amount for something. Learn to give respect where respect is due, people.

Comment

Working...
                      X