No announcement yet.

Apple's OS X Launchd Being Ported To FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like BSD is be coming a OSX wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
      Software licenses are software developer issues. Why so many software users care so much baffles me. The license does not change the user experience at all.
      Maybe because the user versus developer isn't a black/white issue either. I'm both a user and an amateur developer, and I want to write useful software. Open source code gives me tools to learn that I wouldn't be able to acquire otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        I am dead serious bro. I am tired of proprietary bullcrap. I love and appreciate working on and working with libre software. Not same opinion as me? Go to hell (BSD).
        I bet that you don't even run a FOSS only version of Linux.

So much for your hate of proprietary software.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
          Take your medication BSD fan boy
          Says the guy with multiple (including Pawlerson) accounts...

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            I bet that you don't even run a FOSS only version of Linux.

So much for your hate of proprietary software.
            I run a FOSS only version of Linux, if you don?t count AMD firmware for radeon, that is. Wifi cards, router, printers, scanners, media servers, all run FOSS.
            Why should i like proprietary? Sure, I have nothing against developers or companies that create any software, and their income.
            Its that only open code and open model create advantages and are immune to many deeper problems that surfaced with proprietary approach.

In fact,even for android I never purchase proprietary software and always go for open solution and then just paypal the money to the creator.
            Because, if build my workflow on something that may be easily discontinued and then unrevivable thanks to exclusive ownership rights, it would be a complete money waste.
            Not to mention insecurity. Its pretty objective. I don?t hate developers, I just vote with money. I can do it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
              But I'm not the fan boy here ...[

I don't share your black/white view of the software world, and I respect developers' choice of license (whether its proprietary, copyleft or permissive).
              It's has nothing to this discussion. Proprietary licenses are bad for end users and other programmers, while bsd like licenses are bad for bsd licensed software.

I don't know why you assume that a copyleft license somehow encourages proprietary developers to make contributions. It's still the sole discretion of the companies and developers to contribute to a copyleft project.
              I was talking about cases when copyleft (GPL) code is being used by proprietary developers. It not only encourages them to make contributions, but indirectly forces them to do so.

Further, I don't understand why you assume that a permissive license does not encourage these types of contributions either; this very thread and phoronix article serve as a contradiction to your statement (since launchd was written by Apple).
              No, it's not a contradiction to my statement, because launchd is Apple project. If it was freebsd project and Apple would support it, it would be the way you have described. It sometimes happens, but very rarely.

Software licenses are software developer issues. Why so many software users care so much baffles me. The license does not change the user experience at all.
              The answer is very simple: the license has effect on software that is used by users.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                Says the guy with multiple (including Pawlerson) accounts...
                You should really take his advise seriously. Take your medicine, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  It's has nothing to this discussion. Proprietary licenses are bad for end users and other programmers, while bsd like licenses are bad for bsd licensed software.
                  Proprietary licenses could be bad for end users and other programmers. It really all depends on the terms (duh).

For libraries, BSD licensed software is better for developers since it does not add or change terms of the code linked against the library (that's obvious too). Copyleft is only good if you agree with those terms and plan to license your work under the same license. For end-user software, the license doesn't really matter (e.g. Linux, Firefox, FreeBSD, GIMP ... nobody but developers of these applications care about the license).

As the saying goes, you can have any colour as long as it's black.

I was talking about cases when copyleft (GPL) code is being used by proprietary developers. It not only encourages them to make contributions, but indirectly forces them to do so.
                  Yeah, and that's a big if there. With first hand experience in proprietary development, copyleft is avoided entirely. You might be surprised to learn that permissive licensed software isn't much better with very few permissively licensed components used at all. In our case, those permissive component aren't extended (so no internal contributions to these components). In general, we have to reinvent the wheel all the time (very irritating).

Permissive software has a better chance to see action in interesting problems a corporation or government faces. Meanwhile copylefted software is largely ignored when confidentiality is important.

No, it's not a contradiction to my statement, because launchd is Apple project. If it was freebsd project and Apple would support it, it would be the way you have described. It sometimes happens, but very rarely.
                  OK fair enough. Apple was nice enough to license it under a permissive license. OpenBSM would then as a better example of explicit contribution from Apple to FreeBSD where Apple kindly licensed OpenBSM under BSDL specifically for FreeBSD. FreeBSD developers probably still did all the integration work though.

The answer is very simple: the license has effect on software that is used by users.
                  But neither BSDL nor GPL have any noticeable user requirements. As these are the licenses of choice for the vast majority of FOSS, I still stand by my original statement: Software licenses are software developer issues ... at least for FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    I run a FOSS only version of Linux, if you don?t count AMD firmware for radeon, that is. Wifi cards, router, printers, scanners, media servers, all run FOSS.
                    Why should i like proprietary? Sure, I have nothing against developers or companies that create any software, and their income.
                    Its that only open code and open model create advantages and are immune to many deeper problems that surfaced with proprietary approach.

In fact,even for android I never purchase proprietary software and always go for open solution and then just paypal the money to the creator.
                    Because, if build my workflow on something that may be easily discontinued and then unrevivable thanks to exclusive ownership rights, it would be a complete money waste.
                    Not to mention insecurity. Its pretty objective. I don?t hate developers, I just vote with money. I can do it, right?
                    I do count the AMD blob as firmware, as does Trisquel and every other FOSS Linux distribution, so you lie, you do run proprietary software, you hack
                    Why don't you just start writing proprietary software, you're already half way there if you're using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                      You should really take his advise seriously. Take your medicine, please.
                      Loser...

Comment

Working...
                      X