Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's OS X Launchd Being Ported To FreeBSD

Phoronix: Apple's OS X Launchd Being Ported To FreeBSD

There is new work within the FreeBSD camp to port Apple's launchd from OS X to non-Darwin systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if they'll port to OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD too?
    Perhaps even Linux?

Comment

Isn't launchd like systemD? If so, why not port the latter since Gnome and probably soon other software will depend on systemD?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Isn't launchd like systemD? If so, why not port the latter since Gnome and probably soon other software will depend on systemD?
        Because systemd is at the moment (and probably will ever be) Linux-only and is also licensed GPL (LGPL v2.1). "launchd" on the other hand is taylored for a BSD-style system (OS X) and is "Apache License" licensed. The latter is much more preferable for FreeBSD. Remember FreeBSD ditched GCC in favour of LLVM mainly because of the license.

Comment

AFIK systemD was developed because launchd couldn't coexist with legacy sysV init (and they didn't like Upstart), so porting it to FreeBSD could turn out to be a major task.

Comment

Good since FreeBSDs current init system sucks monkey balls. It's the most slow thing I have ever used in my life. You totally forget that you have a SATA 3 SSD installed. My Arch Linux installation is able to boot faster than FreeBSDs init is able to set the hostname. I'm not kidding.

It's systemd btw not Sytemd or SystemD or systemD.

Comment

Could this be the break Debian needs in relation to their init system conundrum with kFreeBSD as a Debian variant?

Comment

So, sysv init is now a bad guy for bsd?

Comment

Good news for the BSD guys

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
                    Because systemd is at the moment (and probably will ever be) Linux-only and is also licensed GPL (LGPL v2.1). "launchd" on the other hand is taylored for a BSD-style system (OS X) and is "Apache License" licensed. The latter is much more preferable for FreeBSD. Remember FreeBSD ditched GCC in favour of LLVM mainly because of the license.
                    It was about control, license restrictions and design goals.

The world is better off with LLVM/Clang in it. It's what has gotten GCC to evolve.

Comment

Working...
                    X