No announcement yet.

GTK+ 3 Is Now Officially Available On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why a Red Hat employee would support this. Did Microsoft get rid of their CLA?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      I don't understand why a Red Hat employee would support this. Did Microsoft get rid of their CLA?
      What are you even on dude lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        What are you even on dude lol
        Relying on software that requires a CLA is unacceptable. Isn't it?

"Watch closely to see how competitors to Canonical torture the English language in their efforts to justify how those toolkits should support Windows but not Mir."

Comment

Well this was pointless...Focusing attention on the platforms you natively support instead of a platform that doesn't even want you would make more sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            Well this was pointless...Focusing attention on the platforms you natively support instead of a platform that doesn't even want you would make more sense to me.
            My native platform is Windows: excluding 1 hour at home, I am surrounded at work by Windows only machines.

As for one I see many usages that you may use like Gimp, Inkscape, or other small applications that are ported from Linux to Windows. If you are a devel at least to have a version of the environment to test on Windows. If you want to migrate .Net applications you may just use Mono and Gtk 3 and reboot. If you want to contribute a patch to Shotwell you can take the sources, compile them on Windows and do the patch. It would be silly to install an entire OS for just working on a small fix.

Comment

GTK isn't relying on Windows. A volunteer send some patches and the GTK maintainer pushed out a build with those patches making a Windows *port* available. The porting itself wasn't done by Red Hat and Red Hat maintainers will often take patches to support even competitors c.f SUSE patches supporting a different dependency resolver in Spacewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                How exactly is GIMP not native-looking? The only thing that comes from GNOME are the icons, and the reason for that is obvious. The only difference I have noticed between it and native Win32 apps is that the menu item hover effect becomes all blue at times.
                http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/wf7e.jpg/

If you look at the push buttons, the GIMP ones are way too fat like in Gnome, and that can be seen in practically any GIMP interface window. There is more to actually matching a theme than matching just colors.

Also you can notice the misplaced triangle in the pixels button in the center of the GTK+ dialog.
                Last edited by darkcoder; 29 October 2013, 03:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

More evidence

These 2 screenshots comes directly from the Wireshark blog. Again since GTK+ do not handle other non nix platforms as a first class citizen, you end up with gui's that looks as native as this on a Mac OS (sarcasm here, lol)

Instead, Qt looks like a real Mac app

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                    If you look at the push buttons, the GIMP ones are way too fat like in Gnome, and that can be seen in practically any GIMP interface window. There is more to actually matching a theme than matching just colors.
                    That's a really minor detail...

Comment

Working...
                    X