Arch BSD Is Still Around & Keeping It Simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    All I ask for is a straight-up comparison between Arch BSD and the currently popular *BSD distros (FreeBSD, etc) :/

EDIT: also, I wondered if Arch BSD is related to Arch Linux at all (Same devs or anything?). I tried to ask the Arch community but the mods deleted my post for not being about Vanilla Arch *shrug*
    lol. I think i actually saw that post. You shouldn't be _that_ surprised that it got deleted though, I can't even count how many times I've bumped into say, Archbang users looking for help in the Archlinux forums, so i can understand why your post was deleted.

Arch BSD is running Archlinux, but replacing the linux kernel with the FreeBSD kernel, so yes, it's related but I do not believe any of the main Archlinux developers are involved, although i could be mistaken...

Originally posted by arokh View Post
    Is it your first time on the internet? He was clearly joking.
    lol. Do you NOT know what trolling is?? ...is this your first time on the interwebz, or are you just naive?

Coming into a thread about a peice of software and referring to that software as a combination of "two of the worst cancers" is a classic example of trolling, not just making a joke... As in every other thread, this POS loser "boss" likes to rile up people...
    Last edited by ninez; 24 October 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      lol. I think i actually saw that post. You shouldn't be _that_ surprised that it got deleted though, I can't even count how many times I've bumped into say, Archbang users looking for help in the Archlinux forums, so i can understand why your post was deleted.

Arch BSD is running Archlinux, but replacing the linux kernel with the FreeBSD kernel, so yes, it's related but I do not believe any of the main Archlinux developers are involved, although i could be mistaken...
      It's most likely devs that run Archlinux already that experimented with combining BSD with Arch philosophy. I would assume it is the work of Arch devs or users at the least.

lol. Do you NOT know what trolling is?? ...is this your first time on the interwebz, or are you just naive?

Coming into a thread about a peice of software and referring to that software as a combination of "two of the worst cancers" is a classic example of trolling, not just making a joke... As in every other thread, this POS loser "boss" likes to rile up people...
      I'm afraid we're late. The troll got his fix He lives for another day

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Arch for technically-minded people? So it's diverting resources from making Linux more user friendly. And we all know how Linux doesn't need that since it's for geeks, or so you argue whenever it fits you. And then you complain how it has only 1% market share. BSD is inferior to Linux. And Linux isn't that great either. BSD is pretty dead. They should either pack and go home or help Linux maybe get a bigger market share. Anything else is badly allocated resources. I meant cancer not as something that spreads but as something very bad.
        Nice try Ballmer. In the end, Linux is alive, so is BSD and you lost your job. Hahahahahahahahahha! Loser!

Comment

Arch for technically-minded people? So it's diverting resources from making Linux more user friendly. And we all know how Linux doesn't need that since it's for geeks, or so you argue whenever it fits you. And then you complain how it has only 1% market share. BSD is inferior to Linux. And Linux isn't that great either. BSD is pretty dead. They should either pack and go home or help Linux maybe get a bigger market share. Anything else is badly allocated resources. I meant cancer not as something that spreads but as something very bad.
          Wow... So much BS in one post...

Comment

Diverting resources from making linux more user friendly? Can you not read? I've already explained to you that Archlinux is NOT geared at windows users or linux-noobs looking to have their hands held... Archlinux is a certain type of linux distribution for a certain type of person / crowd. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Originally posted by The Arch way
            The Arch Linux system places precedence upon elegance of design as well as clean, correct, simple code, rather than unnecessary patching, automation, eye candy or "newbie-friendliness." Software patches are therefore kept to an absolute minimum; ideally, never. Simple design and implementation shall always trump simple user interface.

<snip>

Arch Linux targets and accommodates competent GNU/Linux users by giving them complete control and responsibility over the system.
            Again, why are you even commenting when you clearly have no clue about either subject here? (Arch or BSD). Arch follows upstream fairly closely and lots of good patches / code make it from Arch devs && users into upstream projects - which benefits everyone and that is just an example... But apparently, in your limited scope, you are expecting a distro that doesn't cater to people like yourself, to cater to you..lol. It's hilarious.

And you can knock it off with putting words in my mouth that i didn't say... ie: i didn't say anything about / complain about 1% marketshare, you are either mistaken or talking about someone else - so it's completely irrelevant. If you don't like BSD that is fine, but it is in no way "dead". If anything, it's use seems to be on the rise and development seems to be increasing compared to a few short years ago... But i have to wonder - why do you even care to begin with? (it doesn't affect you, at all)...as far as going home or working on linux, that is their choice to make - frankly, i see absolutely nothing wrong with people choosing to work on whatever they want (since it's essentially not of my business)... Maybe you should go and convince all of these developers to drop what they are doing, since clearly, you know better than everyone, eh, jackass? ...let us know how that goes ~ and please oh please do it on a mailing list - so we can all laugh at your stupidity....by all means!

lastly, i know what you meant by cancer... But it doesn't matter Boss - you're full of crap / ignorant. and fyi, by using "worst cancer" to describe you - i meant it the exact same way and i am pretty sure everyone else meant it that way too (although i cannot speak for other forum users)
            Last edited by ninez; 24 October 2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I wish I was Ballmer with all those billions of dollars.
              Could've had more if it weren't for our favourite open source operating systems :P

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                The real question do you even have any real world experience with either OS, to be making any valid evaluation?

I'm guessing little to none... 1 - Archlinux is often shipping newer versions of software than ubuntu (so would that mean Ubuntu = < Windows 3.1???)...and before you go off on how Archlinux isn't as freindly as Ubuntu, commandline, manual configuration, bla bla bla... It's not supposed to be geared towards inexperienced noobs or Windows users like yourself who need hand-holding or expect Arch to be something that it's not intended to be... It's generally for the more technically-minded, do-it-yourself-types and those who want to build their own system, top to bottom. (and for that kind of user, Archlinux is very flexible and probably one of the better choices out there, as far as Linux distros go). So really, any point you would make on that is entirely moot / pointless...

2 - What BSDs have you used for any extended period of time and when were you using them??? I Ask, because although i am not a big fan of BSD - i do have a few years of experience running it (in the 2000s) and BSD isn't nearly as bad as you paint it out to be. I get the impression that it may be likely that you've never even used BSD - so why even comment, if that's the case?? I don't think BSD is as competative with Linux,as it used to be, but it's still got some unique and powerful features.

3 - Neither is "Cancer" in any shape or form, if anything - you are much closer to being the "worst cancer" when it comes to these forums. All you do is come here to troll. You have very little to no understanding in almost any subject / post that you have ever written in these forums... All you are here to do is troll, shit all over projects (and thus developers) and talk-shit like you are some authority on Operating systems, linux, etc...which it's pretty obvious by what you write that you, in fact, never know what you are talking about in the slightest.
                Really, i do not know what is worse, the troll or the one who takes its time and energy to seriously reply back to the troll.

Why? because you let yourself to get hooked by the troll, so you respond with anger. This might result in even more people offended , not by the troll , but by you too. This increases the chances of more sensitive people replying against you AND the original troll.

Seriously, let it go.

Comment

Yes they should change that Arch way to something that is actually useful: making Linux user friendly. People appreciate useful stuff not useless stuff, duh. Their Arch way is shit and must change. Or else they shouldn't wonder why they're stuck in the abyss and no one wants them. I am fundamentally challenging "Their Way".
                  The resource you're referring to (voluntary development effort) is a function of the degree of interest from developers.

Saying that the Arch developers divert resources by pursuing their interests rather than someone else's is like saying that playing basketball diverts resources from flying RC planes.

There's no way to enforce interest, unless you possess psychic powers. Do you?

Comment

Now tell me more about how "BSD is dying"...

Comment

Any chance you guys could stop quoting the troll? (And put it in your blacklist? click on its profile link, the option is there.)

Comment

Working...
                      X