Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon KMS Driver Merged Into FreeBSD

Phoronix: AMD Radeon KMS Driver Merged Into FreeBSD

After many months of development, the ported open-source AMD Radeon DRM/KMS driver from the Linux kernel has been merged into FreeBSD trunk. This AMD kernel graphics driver now provides modern Radeon/FirePro graphics support for BSD users with FreeBSD 10.0 but might be backported to FreeBSD 9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't wait to giving this driver a spin when I get home, hopefully I'll never have to use VESA drivers again on my desktop.
    FreeBSD 10 is looking to be just more than a patch job, and I'm looking forward to it when it does get released as STABLE.

Comment

Cheers for FreeBSD. Do they need anything else to be able to run Gallium drivers, or they are kind of done?

Comment

Good News i hope they Continue the effort.

Comment

If the driver is based upon Linux 3.8, I hope backporting all the goodies from 3.10 is straight-forward...

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            Do they need anything else to be able to run Gallium drivers, or they are kind of done?
            An update to the "graphics/dri" port is being worked on to install Gallium drivers. It's not ready for prime time yet, but you can test it by following the instructions on the wiki page.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              If the driver is based upon Linux 3.8, I hope backporting all the goodies from 3.10 is straight-forward...
              Our drm code as well as the Intel driver need an update, before any backport of the Radeon driver from 3.10 happens. I would very much like to see UVD support land too but we need to focus on more urgent topics before.

Comment

awesome!

One less obstacle to perhaps jump ship from Arch linux to FreeBSD/PC-BSD sometime in the future (probably at version 10) - with the ext4fuse it should be possible to keep my data on my external HDDs without moving about and reformatting I hope...

itching to try something new

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post
                  An update to the "graphics/dri" port is being worked on to install Gallium drivers. It's not ready for prime time yet, but you can test it by following the instructions on the wiki page.
                  Thanks, but I use Linux, I was just curious. I might eventually install it in some partition to check it out, but not in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    Thanks, but I use Linux, I was just curious. I might eventually install it in some partition to check it out, but not in the near future.
                    Oh come on, the near future is the best future.
                    You might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Working...
                    X