Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    So can you run the Linux kernel?

I remember Apple had a project called MkLinux to run the Linux kernel on top of a Mach microkernel.
    Yes, Genode can run on Linux but not necessarily in the sense of MkLinux. Genode would sit at the same level as GNU, that is running on top of Linux rather than running Linux on top of a microkernel.

That said, you can also run linux on top of a microkernel virtualized or paravirtualized (The case with L4Linux, L4Android, OKLinux).

There are also aspirations of "microkernelizing" Linux. However, I don't think this would make much sense unless the hardware support can be retained.

Comment

Dispensing with the Linux kernel

When can we dispense with linux and compile the GNU system and tools and other software, like one that use Qt, directly on Genode?

P.S.I know wishful thinking

Comment

Originally posted by codegreen View Post
        When can we dispense with linux and compile the GNU system and tools and other software, like one that use Qt, directly on Genode?

P.S.I know wishful thinking
        This is actually not too far off. It is already possible to use the entirety of Genode's build system natively on Genode (that is, w/o Linux). So it is self-hosting already. To accomplish this, there is a Genode component called Noux which provides the Unix system-call API as a Genode service to its child processes. So GNU programs like gcc, vim, bash feel right at home in this environment.

Comment

Working...
        X