Work Still Underway To Run OS X Binaries On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I ask because if there's a popular one that's open source I would consider attempting to port it to Linux.
    Try these
    Download The Seashore Project for free. easy to use image editor for OSX. Seashore is a free, open-source image editor for built entirely in Cocoa. It features advanced tools like multiple layers and alpha channel editing, alongside basic tools like gradients, textures, text (with subpixel rendering) and brushes.

Notational Velocity: modeless, mouseless Mac OS X note-taking application

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I ask because if there's a popular one that's open source I would consider attempting to port it to Linux.
      Adium is probably the most popular open source program which every user want to use on the another operating systems.

Last edited by gbudny; 13 July 2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        it is really said to see no support for Linux from apple
        Actually there is. Off the top of my head, I know Apple uses Linux to test printer drivers and they made MkLinux. I know there's other things Apple does where they use Linux as a guinea pig, but I can't think of what they are ATM.

Comment

It seems rather strange and limiting that they've decided to go for a completely copyleft license rather than one which allows linking to libraries without having to ship the end product under a different license.

I would have preferred if they licensed their product similar to WINE, under the LGPL which allows such linking.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            It seems rather strange and limiting that they've decided to go for a completely copyleft license rather than one which allows linking to libraries without having to ship the end product under a different license.

I would have preferred if they licensed their product similar to WINE, under the LGPL which allows such linking.
            The question is: why would I want that?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I never thought I could live long enough to see a human being excited about the possibility of using iTunes
              I know there are linux alternatives, but to some users iTunes is a must have app. So no iTunes under linux means they won't even consider trying linux.

I'm curious if the mac version of itunes could run better than the windows version under wine.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Seems rather uninteresting.

Any OS X software of importance already exists for Windows too, so you can use Wine for that.
                Umm.. no. Wine never worked for us Average Joes without having to dig through How-Tos (with the exception of a small percentage of platinum-rated of apps), and some apps won't run no matter what you do (the garbage/bronze-rated ones). Wine is hit-or-miss, so you can't tell someone to "use Wine to run Windows apps" with a straight face, because for a large percentage of Windows apps this isn't true.

Let's be realistic, providing a Windows compat layer on a *nix environment is pretty hard, because they are too damn different, and because Microsoft keeps some of their APIs intentionally undocumented.

Instead, with OS X, you 've got an open-source base (Darwin), you 've got OpenGL as the only 3D graphics option (no need to implement Direct3D, a major weight already lifted) and you 've got GNUstep as a starting base.

In plain english, this project can provide a complete implementation of the OS X APIs. Wine can never claim to have a complete implementation of the Windows API (not Wine's fault, but this is how it is). A complete implementation of the OS X API is much better than a hit-or-miss implementation of the Windows API, even considering the wider library of Windows apps.
                Last edited by kurkosdr; 14 July 2013, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
                  Instead, with OS X, you 've got an open-source base (Darwin), you 've got OpenGL as the only 3D graphics option (no need to implement Direct3D, a major weight already lifted) and you 've got GNUstep as a starting base.
                  I just want to mention that Openal in Mac OS X is a part of Core Audio.

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
                    The question is: why would I want that?
                    In order to link against these libraries without having to make your program GPL3+

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Seems rather uninteresting.
                      Well, I would love to be able to run XCode under linux so I don't have to leave my linux box to test crossplatform applications as to develop iphone applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X