• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    No one cares!
    Good

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Linux is for leet users, not n00bz. If you can use Linux effectively and be able to understand it, it means you need to get laid more.
      I would but your mother upped her rates...

my experience with linux:

it runs on anything/everything

now does it run well? depends:

sometimes it's a matter of finding firmwares or other shit and stuff seems to work

WHEN you have to start editing .confs and mess with shit like Xorg or whatever, you better forget it

so I have 3 scenarios:

A. Everything mostly works OTB

B. It needs 20 minutes of internet browsing, firmware finding etc to get a system to work

C. Nightmare scenario (mostly involving amd/radeon/mac/powerpc where you waste hours upon hours trying to get a system to work and it never does.
      Last edited by Pallidus; 05 September 2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

The moral of the story is - long exposition to windows makes you stupid enough to assume normality = good and Catalyst = Linux.

For example:
        catalyst, nvidia, dwm, comctrl, ole, com, .net, vb.net, msh, corefonts, LLVM, Clang, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, VFAT, exFAT, NTFS, cacls, UVD, VxD, WDM, WDDM, WDF, BDA, Miniport/Class/Bus drivers, REGISTRY??!, wga, vga? wpa?, bunch of malware oh common!

I better retain my nerves and use Linux!
        Yeah except you don't need to research all those. You just slap in the install dvd from the box and it works.

I have got many users to use linux. But I preconfigure the boxes for them and then disable updates and won't tell the root password. So they use it for the stuff it's configured for and are content.

Comment

If you want to introduce someone to linux,

1. Install it for them, as dual boot, and make sure it works.
          2. Tell them to use it as a backup system for when they have one of those Windows problems, that you as the pc guy are expected to fix.
          3. Wait for windows to break
          4. ....
          5. "Windows has broken again, but it's not urgent I've been using that unix thing you installed."
          6 One less windows system that you need to maintain.

Comment

The moral of the story is - long exposition to windows makes you stupid enough to assume normality = good and Catalyst = Linux.

For example:
            catalyst, nvidia, dwm, comctrl, ole, com, .net, vb.net, msh, corefonts, LLVM, Clang, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, VFAT, exFAT, NTFS, cacls, UVD, VxD, WDM, WDDM, WDF, BDA, Miniport/Class/Bus drivers, REGISTRY??!, wga, vga? wpa?, bunch of malware oh common!

I better retain my nerves and use Linux!

Better tell everyone that windows sucks on desktops, it sucks on servers and you suck everywhere. In the end, its reason why you post here!
            No point in fooling ourselves. If you're not prepared to learn and deal with issues, switching to Linux on the desktop is a needless hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Moral of the story is get hardware that works out of the box IMO.
              Exactly. Ask him to install Mac OSX on the same laptop and see how far he gets. Or how about Windows NT 4.0?

The moral of the story is "don't install an OS on unsupported hardware". This is not a new concept by any means.

SafetyNinja, the fool here is you, if you instructed this non technical person to install an unfamiliar OS onto unsupported hardware, with the expectation that it would work.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 September 2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

The most brutal irony of the story: if he tests the same setup in 6 months from now, it will work flawlessly (since he will be running it with Linux 3.11 + some sort of DPM auto enablement + free drivers + no issues)

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  The most brutal irony of the story: if he tests the same setup in 6 months from now, it will work flawlessly (since he will be running it with Linux 3.11 + some sort of DPM auto enablement + free drivers + no issues)
                  You sure about that?

AMD Catalyst always brings headache for me too. Next time if ones want to buy PC/laptop, go intel route, the safe way.

Comment

!!! And the moral of this story is... !!!!
                    Takeaway points:
                    1. You don't know the difference between an exclamation point and a question mark.
                    2. Linux really sucks on Intel/ATI hybrid graphics systems, especially for n00bs.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                      You sure about that?

AMD Catalyst always brings headache for me too. Next time if ones want to buy PC/laptop, go intel route, the safe way.
                      I'm sure, since with Linux 3.11 and Mesa 9.2 the free Radeon stack is a real option. No more Catalyst.

Comment

Working...
                      X