Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UselessFileSystem
    Wrong, you are the zealots! BSD zealots! We are not. We just have common sense while you are nothing more then freedom and Linux hates who have lost touch of reality just like the shitty BSD devs.

BSD devs don't want their code to be use. They want to see proprietary software succeed. They are proprietary sluts as what the venerable kraftman said. You should listen to kraftman because he doesn't talk bullshit like you. He speaks wisdom.
    For a start, personalism is pretty much a way of zealotry, so congrats in proving the point telling us how kraftman speaks wisdom.
    Then, you should notice that proprietary software doesn't need BSD to succeed. It makes it easier, yes. It makes it equally easier for free software and for proprietary software, since I can fork FreeBSD and GPL the crap out of it if I want, and I already have the same headstart Sony has using FreeBSD as a base. Also, not hating is not zealotry, in fact, tolerance is pretty much the opposite of zealotry.

Comment

The thing is, you are not reasonable, well mannered, practical. You fail to accept that BSD license should simply be prohibited. BSD is just wrong.
      Yes... the BSD license is terrible, its immoral, its degrading, INHUMANE. I love how whether you go too far liberal, or too far conservative, on ANY topic..it becomes a religious war.

Seriously, the ONLY analogy I'm making right now in my head is Useless is an old-style minister preaching the Bible condemning the sins of the modern world and how we need federal laws to block out any and all activities he deems offensive, INSTEAD of just sitting back and going "Look, the choices of the modern world aren't for me or my family... so we're not going to MAKE those choices. But if the rest of the world wants to, thats their business."

EDIT: By the way, I'm like...90% certain Useless is a troll that got banned for the 4th or 5th time a few days ago, as such I've already reported a few of his posts in this thread alone, so don't be too shocked if he randomly stops replying to this thread and any other threads he's in.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Wrong. Most Linux people are sane and practical.
        Yes. And a lot are zealots, too. A lot is not about proportion, is about quantity. Most is about proportion.
        There are lots, which includes you, that can't see someone choosing something different to what they choose.
        Of course, most aren't like this, most just use an OS that fits them, be it because of tech facts or because of their philosophy, without judging others because of their choices. Sadly, these ones usually don't go into discussions in forums to explain their point of view, so they fall in the same bag as people like you, who call brain damaged everyone who doesn't agree with them.

Comment

The thing is, you are not reasonable, well mannered, practical. You fail to accept that BSD license should simply be prohibited. BSD is just wrong.
          Another day, another new account... when are we going to get an IP ban for this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by spacetoilet View Post
            PS2 PS3 PS4 all used BSD so whats new?
            There's a difference between taking BSD-licensed code and incorporating it into a bigger project or using the whole OS with a custom graphical stack on top. The report claims the latter.

But as I said earlier: The use of Grub 2.0 under GPLv3 makes the report implausible.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Another day, another new account... when are we going to get an IP ban for this guy?
              In the meantime: http://phoronix.com/forums/profile.p...ignore&u=74400

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                The problem with doing something like that is that IPs are dynamic not static for most consumer lines, he just needs to reset his modem and he'd be back, and it wouldn't really be fair to ban a city because of him that would be required to completely block him out.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  There are a lot of kooky people in the Linux world.

And I'm not even talking fanboys. Windows has A LOT of fanboys. As does Apple. I can deal with that.

But a lot of the Linux people are just plain wacky.
                  I think one of the biggest problem is in your question. Its no insult or so, I happen to do that also to use unclear words. I learned it from this community I think.

You cant say "linux people" I think there is nothing like that. Or it describes to much. somebody with a android phone could think you mean him. I am pretty shure you dont?

So you can think the one or the other are right, but free software people and opensource software people are two different groups. yes also people who want free software do make compromises. I am pretty shure most of them use cell phones.

But still they have this goal. to personaly only use free software and maybe that only free software exists like you try to reduce atomic bombs on the world and try keep them locked at least and forbidden to be used.

Again you can think thats bullshit... there are then the opensource guys that think freedem can be nice, but I will not give up any even small advantage to not use propriatary software... like as example nvidia driver.

So "linux people" is no real thing... sorry the kernel does not matter much. yes its a big piece of software... but if you take away the many patents of freebsd you could make easily out of it + gnu tools a same good software. or when 90% of the linux devs would work for next 2-3 years on the hurd kernel and some companies like amd and intel would write the driver for it... it would not be less good. yes the linux kernel has some stuff for servers that would be hard to port in a reasonable time (to hurd) but for a desktop pc and even some other tasks like for smaller lamp servers or stuff like that it would be easily good enough soon.

The kernel does not matter that much. especialy in this article we see the question is do you want free software (gpl or compatible lisenses) or do you want to have propriatary software or do you think bsd stuff is the real "free".

thats the question. Even if users switch to linux, because they hate windows 8 or something. its more or less because of this freedom reason, they can change the desktop as they have at least some preinstalled to choose from.

ok freedom of choice is not the same. and you could have that too in freebsd.

But the question is why did people choose to use linux over bsd in the first place... developers companies and users... not because linux was always way better than freebsd, or did I miss here something?

Its because this lisense and ideas or ideology is the point.

or maybe gnu tools was technicaly so much better than what bsd had theese days.

ADDITION:

to keep this weapon analogy. its a bit like you try to say the ones are the atombomb-"users" the other are the conventional weapon users, and you have the 3rd group of the argument users.

they are not argument-weapon users... thats not the point, they stop using arguments if all dont use weapons... its just a tool, but in reallity they are pacifists you would not call really pacifists argument-only-users or diplomatic-strategy-users you would call them pacifists.

So to call free software users or even opensource users "linux-user" is funny.

I mean even the gnu projects dont want that... to deny the linux project some respect and because of that they want to call it gnu/linux if you would have to choose. you would have to call it gnu-users.

Sorry for that long text, but thats the background why so much people here use the same words but mean completly different stuff and discussions seem often cracy.
                  Last edited by blackiwid; 23 June 2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    There's a difference between taking BSD-licensed code and incorporating it into a bigger project or using the whole OS with a custom graphical stack on top. The report claims the latter.

But as I said earlier: The use of Grub 2.0 under GPLv3 makes the report implausible.
                    This was an old DevKit, not the final product. They could have shipped Grub2 just as a band-aid while they worked on their own Bootloader. Now, if they prove that the final version ships with Grub2 THEN you've got a case.

Comment

Erig, Pawlerson here just smashed you to pieces. You have to admit it, companies take BSD code and give nothing important back. Full Stop.
                      If you think he "smashed me to pieces" with that then you obviously weren't on a debate team or mock trial when you were growing up...

I will admit that SOME, i'll even give you MOST, companies take BSD code and give nothing important back-- that is their right and they are free to do so under the terms of the BSD license. But there is nothing in the license that says they HAVE TO do that. Its not like the BSD license has a 4th clause that says "You agree to take this code, and if it shipped in a closed source product you must refuse to give back any and all changes under penalty of death."

The BSD license, and really ALL licenses are about choice. BSD developers CHOOSE to give the users of their code the ultimate choice in regards to it by saying "You can do ANYTHING you want with that code." This gives the companies in question the CHOICE of keeping it open source and contributing some or all of their changes back, or closing their copy of it. Will 90% of them choose to close it? Probably, but thats their choice. Not every company will choose to do that, some will give back. Go look up the story where Netflix talked about why they chose FreeBSD over Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X