Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

Phoronix: Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

The operating system at the heart of Sony's PlayStation 4 is FreeBSD 9.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can FreeBSD run on Playstation or any of its software? Any *freedoms* left after Sony facelifting? Would also be interesting if at least Sony contributed anything back?..

Comment

So, what APIs will be available there for developers?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        But can FreeBSD run on Playstation or any of its software? Any *freedoms* left after Sony facelifting? Would also be interesting if at least Sony contributed anything back?..

Probably contributed some things back the same way Apple does-- maintaining their patches out-of-tree is a big maintenance burden that just adds more work for them.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          So, what APIs will be available there for developers?
          A combination of the BSD POSIX-like APIs for basic OS/hardware services, some superior games-centric APIs (a port of the Direct3D 11 graphics API rather than the CAD-oriented OpenGL mess as one example), plus the console-specific Sony PSN/chat/profile/video/controller APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Probably contributed some things back the same way Apple does-- maintaining their patches out-of-tree is a big maintenance burden that just adds more work for them.
            i doubt that Sony give anything back.

Comment

Michael, can you please stop posting wild rumors as fact?

That's beyond unprofessional.
              Last edited by birdie; 23 June 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                i doubt that Sony give anything back.

I do not think that Sony will do anything great in FreeBSD but as Ericg said... out of tree patches are not what anybody do for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                  OMFG FreeBSD! Sony must be Satan! I am curios what the linux zealots will say to this one. Hahahaha they chose FreeBSD over Linux. This is really fun. Linux is really being adopted by the people. See what happens when you are fanatical? It drives people away. Which is the opposite of what we want...or say we want.
                  They did not adopt Ubuntu and windows, thats for sure. So you must be crying ಥ_ಥ

Also, what did they gave back to BSD that makes you assume of any adoption profit? That way, it plays no role - if they write their own or take BSD/MIT-licensed and close it down; it lands as an end-user black-box appliance anyway.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Michael, can you please stop posting wild rumors as fact?

That's beyond unprofessional.
                  Talk about that, you yourself are a number one FUD poster.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    This is whats wrong with BSD licensed software in general. It allows companies to just take and take and give nothing back but a locked down system.

Comment

Working...
                    X