X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scjet
    replied
    Originally posted by scjet View Post
    ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
    The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
    Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.
    ...oh and talkin' but Micro$oft, they can take their xBox and shove it, while closing the door behind them.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.
    I doubt it. For Catalyst to be useful to a FreeBSD 10 user, it have to support X.org, and I don't think that's what Sony is going to use for their graphic stack.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.
    ...too early to tell, but definitely a best of both worlds concept.
    The PS3, and now 4, are proof you don't need Windoze just to play the "real" top 10 games either.
    Once a couple of the big game companies start porting their games to Linux(SteamOS) and/or BSD, then, for me anyway, it's ba-bye Windows 4ever.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    "...the heart of the Sony PS4 is an AMD eight-core APU with Radeon graphics. There isn't a Catalyst driver available for any BSD operating system right now..."

The interesting thing here is, the obvious potential (3D)Catalyst Driver coming to FreeBSD 10 ? It would likely be proprietary, like nvidia and amd(catalyst) are on Linux, but at least now, *BSD users can finally enjoy a full and rich Catalyst driver -hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting a PS4 and dual-booting it with steamOS.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Yeah, everyone admits it - BSD is simply ROCKS, a COLLECTION OF BRICKS, Sony took them and used for free to build their next closed source project, plainly cutting some costs, no favor returns per se. Carry on.
    Just like how Linux device manufacturers in China withhold GPL source code without any legal consequences in that country.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Yeah, everyone admits it - BSD is simply ROCKS, a COLLECTION OF BRICKS, Sony took them and used for free to build their next closed source project, plainly cutting some costs, no favor returns per se. Carry on.
    oh, you mean like Linux on Android ended up being so "FREE" and OpenSource ???!!! -LoL.
    Or, is it that Android is simply the most "CLOSED" OpoenSource project we have ever seen ?

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Admit it ALL !
    BSD/Unix simply ROCKS, forever !!!, and trust me, Sony knows their hardware, and can BUILD their hardware much better than Microsoft ever could.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

The operating system at the heart of Sony's PlayStation 4 is FreeBSD 9.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5NDI

Admit it ALL !
    BSD/Unix simply ROCKS, forever !!!, and trust me, Sony knows their hardware, and can BUILD their hardware much better than Microsoft ever could.

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    D3D is a better API then OGL is. There's a reason why people stopped using OGL after all...
    Yea alike those saying Windows to be more secure than Linux, because Linux being open source...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X