Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-Way Linux, BSD Platform Comparison

Phoronix: 11-Way Linux, BSD Platform Comparison

Building upon last month's eight-way Linux vs. BSD operating system comparison, out today is an expanded 11-way OS showdown. The new OS test results available are for the Arch-based Manjaro Linux distribution, Debian GNU/Linux, and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. The other competitors include PC-BSD, DragonFlyBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mageia, and openSUSE.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

openbsd

curious how openbsd would benchmark compared.

Comment

In the Xonotic low benchmark, half of them are stuck at just nearly 60 FPS.
      Forget to turn off vsync?

Comment

Nice test.

Would be nice to see illumos, OpenIndiana, or OpenSXCE (OpenSolaris) and Windows 8 or 2012 thrown in the mix.

Comment

And where are some competitors in last benchmarks?

I fail to see 11 competitors in last benchmarks. Yet no comments. I can imagine BSDs were out of luck for gaming and multimedia due to crappy video drivers. But why there was no pgbench? Have all BSDs failed it as well? Or someting?

Comment

This is a nice view of the results, sorted by efficiency and normalized
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Michael, if you are reading, I left a note on the last PTS release article's thread. There is a bug in the computation of geometric mean, where is it doesn't make sense when some of the tests are of the type "less is better"

Comment

I too would be interested in more *BSD systems as well as some of the Illumos-based distributions.

Comment

Linux with alternative userland

Since I am currently investigating it, I would like to see how Alpine linux performs (uClibc and busybox instead of glibc and gnu coreutils). Considering that the GNU userland has a performance impact on top of the FreeBSD kernel, I suppose an alternative userland on top of Linux could be interesting to investigate too.

Comment

late EDIT: Also Tiny Core Linux would be interesting to test

Comment

Would be great to see Illumos and the (proprietary) Solaris. Even maybe Hurd...

Comment

Working...
                    X