Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
    *Cough!* *Aherm!*

A benchmark on a different system today showing GNU/kFreeBSD ahead of Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and PC-BSD in a couple of places:
    Great, it's benchmarked against old Linux kernel.

That's actually pretty cool; GNU/kFreeBSD as a whole has had almost no work done to optimize for speed yet. Some tools that would help with this have not been packaged yet.
    What additional optimizations should they do? It's FreeBSD kernel which is being optimized since twenty years.

The default plain UFS filesystem operates in the safest possible mode, without write cache or journalling and that could be a major bottleneck on slower disks. Maybe that's why it performed better here, on an SSD. This is likely to change soon to UFS+softupdates or UFS+J, and should be an easy performance boost for the next release.
    Great, so you're thinking disabling journaling makes it safer? It's really unfair to benchmark UFS against modern file systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
      So 'kraftman', aka 'OpenSLOWLARIS', aka 'LinuxANALSBSD' is back...
      It seems there's something wrong with you. Did anyone of us killed your cat or something? Or perhaps, your brain was destroyed in some discussion or there are other reasons? Or, maybe you're just one of the BSD or slowlaris trolls?

Comment

Originally posted by archibaId
        I have been converted.

I've uninstalled BSD and installed Linux. I now see the truth and I support Linux and hate BSD.
        And now you're are marked as a junior member and your post count was lowered to four. BSD folks don't tolerate such betrayals.

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
          Linux is generally faster than FreeBSD , safer no, just take at the number of linux CVE's , is much bigger than BSD cve's .
          It's because Linux has far more drivers and file systems. If we take only parts of Linux you're running on your computer number of CVE's will be much lower. Furthermore, Linux has more security mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            And now you're are marked as a junior member and your post count was lowered to four. BSD folks don't tolerate such betrayals.
            I had to change emails and get new accounts because I've been getting a lot of hate mail and death threats from OpenBSD people for saying that I switched. I really am not feeling safe now.

Also, my previous phoronix account was hacked so I can't access it now.
            to my impersonator: you've been reported.

kraftman: this is a new account, not registered by me, hence the lower post count and different username. What on earth could BSD users do to a Phoronix account? How could they possibly lower the post count?

The account was created with the deliberate intention of causing trouble. If somebody has a problem with their account the logical thing to do is to email the administrator, not to create a new account that is suspiciously similar to the last one and radically change one's views.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
              kraftman: this is a new account, not registered by me, hence the lower post count and different username. What on earth could BSD users do to a Phoronix account? How could they possibly lower the post count?
              I thought you've deleted your account and registered a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I thought you've deleted your account and registered a new one.
                Nah, just hadn't logged in for a day or two, still here, and still like BSD (or at least I will again once they get UEFI sorted...) :-)

"archibaId": I concur, let's ask the admins to sort this out.

Comment

I had to change emails and get new accounts because I've been getting a lot of hate mail and death threats from OpenBSD people for saying that I switched. I really am not feeling safe now.

Also, my previous phoronix account was hacked so I can't access it now.
                  Oh please, everyone's over this childish roleplay. You're not fooling anybody, unless you would like to support it with hard evidence.

Comment

Wow, I thought this troll couldn't become any more pathetic. I was so wrong.

Comment

Please don't argue with this guy, it makes it slightly more difficult to figure out who's who, and leaves more of a mess after I delete his posts. Just use the report "!" link at the bottom left of posts.

(Deleted posts by inteIIivision / archibaId, requested some more bans.)

Comment

Working...
                      X