ReactOS 0.3.15 Begins Supporting USB Mice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
    It might almost be useable on newer computers now, if you...have or don't need the right ethernet card
    I bet it comes with Token Ring drivers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      And next Year XP reaches the EOL.
      Yes, Windows XP is EOL on 8 april 2014.
      Windows XP sucks though, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is much better (some things suck in Windows 8 though), but the upcoming Windows 8.1 is looking promising.

Comment

I believe I saw an article somewhere on the ethernets in regards to ReactOS having a sort-of paid-for support division. It looked to be focused on the Russian regions, but if it picks up there, it could see more development and actually possibly become something of use. Supporting old apps etc.

And the last 12 months were about gutting and reimplementing some of the low-down internals as well if I was reading the previous update notes correct. So now maybe more external facing elements like drivers and software compatilibity can progress.

Again, think and though I saw.
        Last edited by stiiixy; 31 May 2013, 06:20 AM.
        Hi

Comment

For some people it will be very hard/expensive to move away from old windows versions, eg
          colinneagle writes "During a recent trip to an eye doctor, I noticed that she was still using Windows XP. After I suggested that she might need to upgrade soon, she said she couldn't because she couldn't afford the $10,000 fee involved with the specialty medical software that has been upgraded for W...

There are also plenty of people using odd peripherals from companies, that either no longer exist, or have no interest in rewriting drivers for old hardware (when they would rather you bought some new hardware).

In reality these folk will probably just keep using XP as long as they can. maybe they will disconnect the machines from the network to keep them safe (the older stuff may have never been network connected at all). but one day their harddrive will fail, and reinstalling XP will not be easy.

If reactos can work for them, it may be a very nice option. It will cover drivers, where wine can only cover applications.

Also I wonder if it would be useful for testing if my own software runs on windows. I guess if it does not, then its hard to know if its my fault or a limitation in reactos.

Comment

ReactOS is a really great project on paper that is sadly immensely understaffed and underfunded.

Comment

Reactos would be ideal for supporting legacy server apps that generally run on NT 4 or Win2K Server, which have been EOL'd by MS a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                You keep hallucinating. Is the linux world really like the Apple world? As in the users get brainwashed.
                ...what? Linux can run windows programs better than reactOS. It can run more windows programs than reactOS. It has more windows-like features than reactOS. Not sure how you think I'm hallucinating when the facts are right in front of us.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  ...what? Linux can run windows programs better than reactOS. It can run more windows programs than reactOS. It has more windows-like features than reactOS. Not sure how you think I'm hallucinating when the facts are right in front of us.
                  If that's the point, Mac OS can run exactly the same Windows' programs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Agreed, but on the other hand, what was the point of making it in the first place? Linux is better at being windows than ReactOS, in a compatibility and functionality point of view anyway.
                    Ask a question to yourself - why would you build a Honda clone in your garage??
                    Spoiler alert: In order to impress Honda engineers and get a job.

They build it to prove what they are capable of, in order for microsoft to hire them. Nothing else!
                    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    Reactos would be ideal for supporting legacy server apps that generally run on NT 4 or Win2K Server, which have been EOL'd by MS a long time ago.
                    Thats a job of WINE.
                    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    I believe I saw an article somewhere on the ethernets in regards to ReactOS having a sort-of paid-for support division. It looked to be focused on the Russian regions, but if it picks up there, it could see more development and actually possibly become something of use. Supporting old apps etc.
                    Incorrect, Russia has Ethersoft.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Yes, Windows XP is EOL on 8 april 2014.
                    Windows XP sucks though, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is much better (some things suck in Windows 8 though), but the upcoming Windows 8.1 is looking promising.
                    I see you still have place for being bullshitted. Well, happy burning!
                    Last edited by brosis; 31 May 2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                      Ask a question to yourself - why would you build a Honda clone in your garage??
                      .[...].
                      Spoiler alert: In order to impress Honda engineers and get a job.

They build it to prove what they are capable of, in order for microsoft to hire them. Nothing else!
                      Or, to get similar or improved performance with similar features/interfaces and with a more efficient or better designed system...and while their at it, learn how to create a functioning and coherent OS. Of course it's not fully functioning or coherent yet; that's what makes it a good learning tool.

Yes, they could work on Linux (distributions), or some other commonly used OS's, but that wouldn't necessarily help them in learning all the things they might learn in developing ReactOS.

Mind naming some individuals who got a job at Microsoft as a result of working on ReactOS? I would be interested in such a list.

Comment

Working...
                      X