replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    The open source people are idiots
    Please ban this troll already.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Of course it does. Yesterday I wasted the whole day trying to get Rosegarden to work and after reading a lot of shit about jack fluidsynth timidity++ etc. I made it work somewhat but there still were problems, sound cracklings etc. And when using jack you can't listen to music in rhythmbox and in youtube. Now I know that the Stallman ass kissers will try to tell me how this is the way to go and how superior linux is to everything, but even after making it barely work I realized the whole Rosegarden interface looked like a vomit and said fuck it.

I booted in windows installed Ableton Live (linux, being superior, doesn't have such applications) and in 5 minutes I was creating sounds like no tomorrow. It was hilarious. And I could listen to music while doing it in Windows media player. I know jack shit about using DAWs in linux and in windows so you can't say that I cheated, it was the first time I used both Rosegarden and Live. And yet in windows it just worked. Plus the Live interaface was a beauty to work with compared to Rosegarden. So intuitive and after 2 tutorials I knew everything I needed to know.

All in all another reason to use windows and why linux deserves its 1% market share.
    Working with DAWs on Linux has always been a more than average difficult task, but there seems to be a few problems with your analysis.
    There are Pulse plugins for JACK so you can still route sound out when you're working on something, Rosegarden is a full blown sequencer DAW much akin to Pro Tools, nothing like Ableton Live so I fail to see the comparison there, if you had read so much about Rosegarden then you would already be familiar with the interface and would have 'realized the whole Rosegarden interface looked like a vomit' before you used the program and the thing about audio work on Windows is that it works about 90% of the time. The rest you have to deal with ASIO quirks such as crashing the program you're currently using or going completely silent until you reboot. That and Windows doesn't handle inter-application MIDI transport out of the box and if you use a program that isn't reWire compatible that gets really irritating.

Most of those reasons is why I use OSX at the moment, but I do try Linux from time to time to see how the programs have improved and to see if my audio interface is supported by FFADO yet.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Who said things don't change? Of course things change. What people in power do changed. What society does changed (although not as much as you would like to believe). What I said that there are some things that don't. For example fucking hasn't basically changed in the last 10000 years. Neither did the methods of getting into power. The methods used in Rome are basically the same methods used today, conceptually.
    To the contrary, fucking has changed lots. We've invented ways to fuck that ancient perverts wouldn't even be able to comprehend.

We don't keep slaves anymore not because we became moral people but because slaves are really inneficient and if your neighbor used paid labor and made more profit then he could buy more tanks and invade and destroy you. That is why we don't use slaves anymore. Don't believe for one second that we became 'better'. The next two issues remain as your homework to really find out why those things changed.
    You really live in some kind of invented reality, don't you? Let's see... back in caveman age, all you needed to get to power was strength and a big club to bash in the head of the next strongest guy. Why don't you go try that today and see how much power that gets you?

It's kind of sad how you don't have any idea how economics work, yet you try to justify your delusional ideas about society by abusing them...

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Just wait until these Windows tablets and phones finally take off. It's not over yet.
    Just wait until we learn to fly, then you damn butchers will never catch us, said the pig.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Troll talking to a bot - priceless!

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    If you don't believe Nokia is in trouble, just try looking at their balance sheets.
    Sales numbers are already enough. Samsung overtook Nokia in phone sales in Finland in Q1 2013.
    http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/05/nokia-land/ (via OSNews)

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Windows Phone 8 adoption is growing (albeit slowly) and Nokia is the main driver of it. That does not sound like 'trouble' in any sense of the word.

You'd be surprised to see how often Lumia phones get marked 'out of stock' over here just weeks after a new batch arrives.
    If you don't believe Nokia is in trouble, just try looking at their balance sheets. They're bleeding money right now.

That's for more reasons than just choosing Windows 8 phones. They'd probably be in a similar position even if they'd chosen to go with Android, but that is not a healthy company.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Saw this somewhere else...

Q. How many Ubuntu engineers does it take to close one bug?

A. None - just wait nine years and get Google and Apple to do it for you.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Windows Phone 8 adoption is growing (albeit slowly) and Nokia is the main driver of it. That does not sound like 'trouble' in any sense of the word.

You'd be surprised to see how often Lumia phones get marked 'out of stock' over here just weeks after a new batch arrives.
    Yeap, it's up by 0.08% this month... while Linux on PC is up by 0.21%.

Leave a comment:

• timothyja
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    So? Do you have any idea how many Linux fans work at Microsoft? There's bunches of people who come out of school with $100k+ in college debt and get get $96k+/year starting salary + $20k bonus + stock options + free investments account + free legal representation (even in personal traffic disputes) + a great campus + housing/transportation stipend + more... all from Microsoft. Tons of other people just actually like some of the really crazy R&D Microsoft does even though they don't care for the specific products or services they make. More production-oriented folks often just enjoy being part of a large, successful company where their work impacts millions of people (usually for the better by the values of the common person who cares more about cars or sports or relationships or books or whatever rather than computing or ideologies).

Just because someone does or has worked for Microsoft does not make them anti-Linux, anti-Freedom, pro-Windows, or anything else. In fact, if they stopped working for Microsoft despite all the benefits, that might even mean that they have a beef with the company, its products, or its practices. Their previous employment just means they found that working there was the best option available to them at the time for one of a bunch of different possible reasons. While there are some very anti-Linux people at Microsoft, there's anti-Linux people all over the place; likewise pro-Linux people are everywhere you can imagine and probably some you can't.

Furthermore, most people _just don't give a shit_. Mr. Spencer is probably significantly more interested in doing his job well than he is in anything else relevant to Linux vs. Windows. If he can do that job well in favor of Linux rather than in favor of Windows, that should be considered a _good thing_ for the Linux supporters. Likewise, if he maintains good relations with other folks internal to Microsoft, that can only helps shift Microsoft even further down the path it's been traveling of acceptance and cooperation with Linux rather than the now 14-year-old anti-Linux campaign of theirs that everyone seems to be clinging to.

The ridiculous fear-mongering in that article you linked does way more to discredit certain Linux bigots' critical thinking skills than it does to discredit Mr. Spencer or Ubuntu.

Likewise the secure boot thing. That is technology designed by engineers to solve a security problem _that actually exists_. Much more likely than an evil plot to hamper Linux adoption, the internal discussions about it at Microsoft probably went along the lines of "huh, we're getting complaints from Linux users about this. What do our customers and hardware partners think? Oh, they really just don't care at all. Well, okay then, no reason to spend more time and money on this just to quiet down the fringes of the blogosphere." There's a strong argument that the road to hell is paved with apathy, but there's a very different discussion than claiming evil plots. It always amuses me when conspiracy theorists both claim how stupid and awful some entity is while simultaneously attributing them with Lex Luthor-like intelligence and godlike foresight and premonition.

If there's any factual arguments with supporting evidence that Mr. Spencer is trying to destroy Linux for the benefit his previous employer, get upset.
    I never said I agreed with the articale. All I said is its a bit fishy that this bug has been closed and they are actually mentioning Microsoft in a postive light. To me the real reason the bug is closed is to please microsoft due to them becoming closer nothing to do with the goal being completed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X