Shuttleworth Closes Bug #1, Microsoft's Market Share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    LOL! You are like girl! I need a vocabulary to translate you!
    Disassembling "BO$$":
    What BOSS says = What he means

"No" = "Yes"
    "Yes" = "No"
    "Genius move" = "Huge trouble"
    "* great" = "* will be catastrophe"
    "* perfect" = "* huge mistake"
    "Fuck that" = "Very compelling project"
    "POS" = "killer software"
    "Shit" = "works very well, very impressive"
    "big plus" = "huge minus"
    "closed source" = "microsoft and goons"
    "make money" = "lie, lie, lie, li-ke me"
    "Idealism" = "Freedom"

+1 to that, plus he should take birdie, ворот93, sonadow, that guy - with him; quite a collection of microsoft turfers we have here. : )
    This was a great guide how to make more sense of what he writes.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      It would be a genius move! Hopefully it will happen. Office on Ubuntu would be great. Fuck that LibreOffice POS.
      [...]
      Especially if it works. Most people are used to Office. Getting it on Ubuntu would be great. A great blow would be if they got a way of making it work only on Ubuntu and not any other distro. Ubuntu would skyrocket while the rest would...well... nothing
      I moved to GNU/Linux and FOSS to retain ownership of my data and control over my computer. So having my documents stored in a closed format on someone else's server "somewhere out there" now would be really disingenuous.
      That might sound great in the short term and very convenient, but I've learnt my lesson with all the bait & switch tactics from microsoft.
      No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
        So will Linux based distros receive working graphic drvers? Ever?. No!
        My drivers are fine (nvidia).

Who cares about sync to vblank for Linux (and now even for Windows!!!).
        Forcing vsync works for me. On top of that, vsync adds latency, it sucks for games.

Keep dreaming about waylands, mirrs or desktop acceleration.
        If Mir gets actual market share, it will get drivers, no doubt.

It ain't gonna happen. Never. Linux is a post sale cost. There has never been a proper support,
        There has.

there always was video and desktop tearing for nvidia,
        Not for me; you're doing it wrong.

complete lack of working drivers for AMD
        Not only radeon works quite well on HD5000/HD6000s (minus power management), catalyst is getting better and better these days. I've never tried it though.

and shit for Intel working 3 times slower than on Windows and without OpenCL,
        Few people care about OpenCL, also, the driver is "only" 15% slower. Not 3 times slower.

wich renders programms like GIMP 2.8.x unstartable on Intel machines.
        OpenCL isn't a requirement for GIMP.

Pair it with non working AMD and you're out.
        See three lines above. Also, it isn't AMD's fault -- their CPUs are fine.

Not to mention VAAPIs, NVDPAUs and other stuff like renering videos on GPU.
        It works for me (your problem if you use Flash).

Keep dreaming.
        no u.

PS. And now Linux got that amazing gift from Intel, called UEFI
        You know any decent mobo lets you boot in BIOS mode?

and awesome present from Microsoft called Banned Boot without USB. Hoorraaay!
        It's their problem -- disabling Secure Boot isn't hard.

PS: by the way, I noticed you posted the exact same thing here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...919#post333919
        Aren't you the guy who has an HD4670 by the way?
        Last edited by Calinou; 31 May 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Grow up

Nice to see this bug is finaly closed. This means Canonical is growing up. Keep up the good work !!!

Next bug I would like to see closed is the one where some of te Phoronix forum-members start to grow up :-)
          To many people jelling and shouting without telling something rational.

Sorry for my bad English, I think you understand my point ;-)

Comment

Yes and you're that 10 year old boy who thinks he can change the world by rebelling against everything and somehow emerging victorious. The same type of guy who gets to 30 and gets fucked by the world and thinks that there is something wrong with it instead of admitting that he is the one in the wrong. See the Microsoft development model works. It seems like the people buy their software.
            I'm... that 10 year old who thinks... wait, what? Do you know many 10 year olds who actually think like that, or... did you just have to get to call me a 10-year old too, in a sort of "no YOU" way? You know, on account of you having too little imagination or intelligence to think of anything remotely original to say... kind of like a 10-year old.

But I'll let that slide. You're saying you don't think there's anything wrong with the world, seriously? It's all just business as usual? What a lovely, remarkably sociopathic view of of the world you have. It suits so well that kid who always brown-noses the bullies and laughs along with the crowd whenever some poor smaller guy is targeted... instead of sticking up for the weaker guys, you enjoy being part of the lynch mob... because your dad has probably taught you that you have to be "ruthless" to "make it in the world" or some shit like that, right?

Oh, by the way... The Microsoft model works so well that their stock is tanking and their latest product (windows ache) is a flop even worse than vista. The only reason they're in the position they are is because they have basically lied, cheated, stolen, done whatever dirty tricks they can to get on the top... but hey, you actually admire that, right? You think it's great to be able to cheat and steal. It shows that you're strong. Just like your daddy wanted you to be.

The open source people are idiots (not all of them but a vast majority) because they refuse to see the truth. Their development model doesn't fucking work. Whenever anything gets even remotely popular they fork it and start doing their own thing resulting in even more fragmentation which confuses the end user who says fuck it and goes back to windows.
            Fascinating. Do you actually believe these things or are you just spouting off whatever you can think off? It's such a remarkably delusional view, there's got to be a fair bit of a reality distortion field at work there...

What now you gonna argue that windows actually does not own the desktop market and that linux is the way to go? Seriously? It's a fact that Microsoft makes more money than anything Red Hat. See they must be doing something right. Instead of complaining maybe it's time to emulate them. The ways of getting into power haven't changed for the last few thousand years and they're not gonna change just now just because you want them to. That is your main issue right there. You think this time it's gonna be different. And as long as most open source people think like that they have no chance of success.

You and I both know you are lying. Stop spewing bullshit. If you could make money selling open source products how come most companies haven't jumped on this ship. Why doesn't Oracle open source their database? And don't tell me cause they're stupid. That only means you are stupid.
            How sad. Just very, very sad.

I'm getting too sad thinking about you, Boss, and how sad your life must be. I'm going to have to take my leave of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              But I'll let that slide. You're saying you don't think there's anything wrong with the world, seriously? It's all just business as usual? What a lovely, remarkably sociopathic view of of the world you have. It suits so well that kid who always brown-noses the bullies and laughs along with the crowd whenever some poor smaller guy is targeted... instead of sticking up for the weaker guys, you enjoy being part of the lynch mob... because your dad has probably taught you that you have to be "ruthless" to "make it in the world" or some shit like that, right?

I have to register just to say this: Bravo! Very well said, sir!

Comment

You and I both know you are lying. Stop spewing bullshit. If you could make money selling open source products how come most companies haven't jumped on this ship. Why doesn't Oracle open source their database? And don't tell me cause they're stupid. That only means you are stupid.
                Unlike you I actually do give real explanations rather than just name calling. People make money off open source that is a fact not sure where you have been for the past decade. If your seriously trying to say they don't then you need to get your head checked.

If you had been paying any attention you would know Oracle has an open source database which Sun paid $1 billion for called MySQL, Oracle also has an open source programming language called Java you may have heard of it, and a Linux distro but I guess Oracle just has no interest in making money these days because apparently you can not make money with open source.

Comment

But he's right, in 2009 Windows made up nearly 90% of Wikipedia's traffic, and last month they made up barely 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                    This comes no long after this headline was released.
                    Man From Microsoft Runs the Ubuntu Project Now: http://techrights.org/2013/05/15/ubu...osoft-veteran/
                    So? Do you have any idea how many Linux fans work at Microsoft? There's bunches of people who come out of school with $100k+ in college debt and get get $96k+/year starting salary + $20k bonus + stock options + free investments account + free legal representation (even in personal traffic disputes) + a great campus + housing/transportation stipend + more... all from Microsoft. Tons of other people just actually like some of the really crazy R&D Microsoft does even though they don't care for the specific products or services they make. More production-oriented folks often just enjoy being part of a large, successful company where their work impacts millions of people (usually for the better by the values of the common person who cares more about cars or sports or relationships or books or whatever rather than computing or ideologies).

Just because someone does or has worked for Microsoft does not make them anti-Linux, anti-Freedom, pro-Windows, or anything else. In fact, if they stopped working for Microsoft despite all the benefits, that might even mean that they have a beef with the company, its products, or its practices. Their previous employment just means they found that working there was the best option available to them at the time for one of a bunch of different possible reasons. While there are some very anti-Linux people at Microsoft, there's anti-Linux people all over the place; likewise pro-Linux people are everywhere you can imagine and probably some you can't.

Furthermore, most people _just don't give a shit_. Mr. Spencer is probably significantly more interested in doing his job well than he is in anything else relevant to Linux vs. Windows. If he can do that job well in favor of Linux rather than in favor of Windows, that should be considered a _good thing_ for the Linux supporters. Likewise, if he maintains good relations with other folks internal to Microsoft, that can only helps shift Microsoft even further down the path it's been traveling of acceptance and cooperation with Linux rather than the now 14-year-old anti-Linux campaign of theirs that everyone seems to be clinging to.

The ridiculous fear-mongering in that article you linked does way more to discredit certain Linux bigots' critical thinking skills than it does to discredit Mr. Spencer or Ubuntu.

Likewise the secure boot thing. That is technology designed by engineers to solve a security problem _that actually exists_. Much more likely than an evil plot to hamper Linux adoption, the internal discussions about it at Microsoft probably went along the lines of "huh, we're getting complaints from Linux users about this. What do our customers and hardware partners think? Oh, they really just don't care at all. Well, okay then, no reason to spend more time and money on this just to quiet down the fringes of the blogosphere." There's a strong argument that the road to hell is paved with apathy, but there's a very different discussion than claiming evil plots. It always amuses me when conspiracy theorists both claim how stupid and awful some entity is while simultaneously attributing them with Lex Luthor-like intelligence and godlike foresight and premonition.

If there's any factual arguments with supporting evidence that Mr. Spencer is trying to destroy Linux for the benefit his previous employer, get upset.

Comment

^ Shocking to see some actual sense on this site.

Comment

Working...
                      X