Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttleworth Closes Bug #1, Microsoft's Market Share

Phoronix: Shuttleworth Closes Bug #1, Microsoft's Market Share

Interestingly, this morning Mark Shuttleworth decided to close Ubuntu's Bug #1 on Launchpad, the bug report created by him in 2004 about Microsoft having a majority market-share. He feels that the Windows creator is no longer commanding the market, but neither is Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Microsoft is no longer what it was back then. But we must not underestimate them. But closing this bug is the right thing to do. They are no longer at the top. Linux is if you take every device into account. But they should create a new bug that is only about the desktop market. There windows still rules with an iron fist.
    You never research anything. This bug WAS about the desktop market. This smells of nothing more than a larger deal to snuggle up with Microsoft, and in doing so removing anything anti microsoft from the Ubuntu public space.

This comes no long after this headline was released.
    Man From Microsoft Runs the Ubuntu Project Now: http://techrights.org/2013/05/15/ubu...osoft-veteran/

Comment

This is just Canonical preparing the bed sheets for Microsoft. I wonder what kind of deal between them is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        This is just Canonical preparing the bed sheets for Microsoft. I wonder what kind of deal between them is coming.
        Unity and Mir are comming to Windows 9.

Comment

- For cloud computing with Microsoft IAAS, they are focused on supporting all operating systems -- Linux guests included -- rather than just Windows.
          Funny he should mention that as it was the MS/Novel deal that laid that groundwork. A deal he chastised.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Canonical is very sellable because of the single point of ownership. Im not sure MS is the most probable buyer right now. What worries me is the recent splits from communities and a great deal of software under copyright or contributor license. Canonical is more usefull to hurt Linux than evolve Linux. Oracle or Google might do it. They share a history of shady business.

Im just happy alternatives exist. Even without contributor licenses and splitting communities.
              Did you mean to say something else instead of copyright?

Comment

The other day he was extolling the virtues of Microsoft. I think it's just another step in Canonical abandoning the desktop altogether. Or kind of a round-about way of admitting defeat.

Comment

If ubuntu want to be user friendly, why they continue to ship this with nvidia free drivers? It's a shit..., mi nvidia gt 670 can't try ubuntu on a live usb because unity crash every time. :/ BAD BAD, They need to learn about pclinux os.

Comment

Closed wontfix

Comment

Working...
                    X