No announcement yet.

Arch BSD: Arch Linux Atop The FreeBSD Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if only someone would develop ArchWindows.

Comment

It's called Cygwin.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
        Not really convinced about the benefits of this project... Now if I could just work out how to boot into my PC-BSD install (ZFS) with Grub-2 I'd be laughing
        Well, you might never have a use for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD either - but its GRUB2 can boot a FreeBSD kernel from a ZFS filesystem - so that's something you might be able to put to good use. A lot of odd/unexpected benefits seem to come out of these hybrid OS projects and I'm sure there will be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
          Someone please tell the dev how pkg_add works.
          Well currently it doesn't

Comment

I'd Just Like to Point Some Things Out

Actually, first of all, the project is using BSD userland, there was someone who attempted the same but with a GNU userland which has long died.

The reason I started this project, which some may not agree with, was the lack of binary packages that were outdated in FreeBSD repos and to change the initsystem to something more modern.

Basically, the project was to user a new package manager (pacman) and to use a new initsystem ( OpenRC ) and things have been going well.

A few other important changes are:

PKGBUILD and makepkg work with FreeBSD ports in a jail, this saves effort of compiling outside the port tree and having to setup a lot of system variables to keep them prefixed in /usr/local to keep to BSD standards

The benefit to this is ease, and you can also override variables in PKGBUILD such as LDFLAGS, CFLAGS, CONFIGURE etc to set any options you otherwise would when building outside the port tree.

I know most people on this Forum are anti-BSD, but this was a personal project for me, to change some of the things I disliked about FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Amzo View Post
              Actually, first of all, the project is using BSD userland, there was someone who attempted the same but with a GNU userland which has long died.

The reason I started this project, which some may not agree with, was the lack of binary packages that were outdated in FreeBSD repos and to change the initsystem to something more modern.

Basically, the project was to user a new package manager (pacman) and to use a new initsystem ( OpenRC ) and things have been going well.

PKGBUILD and makepkg work with FreeBSD ports in a jail, this saves effort of compiling outside the port tree and having to setup a lot of system variables to keep them prefixed in /usr/local to keep to BSD standards

The benefit to this is ease, and you can also override variables in PKGBUILD such as LDFLAGS, CFLAGS, CONFIGURE etc to set any options you otherwise would when building outside the port tree.

I know most people on this Forum are anti-BSD, but this was a personal project for me, to change some of the things I disliked about FreeBSD.
              Hi there,
              This project looks more interesting than some of the others as you're still using the FreeBSD userland, also I quite like the way pacman operates.
              I just wanted to know, what will be the default compiler for this system and will you be basing this off the STABLE or CURRENT FreeBSD release?

Comment

Archbsd is a waste of time and the people using/making it must die

Originally posted by amzo View Post
                actually, first of all, the project is using bsd userland, there was someone who attempted the same but with a gnu userland which has long died.

The reason i started this project, which some may not agree with, was the lack of binary packages that were outdated in freebsd repos and to change the initsystem to something more modern.

Basically, the project was to user a new package manager (pacman) and to use a new initsystem ( openrc ) and things have been going well.

Pkgbuild and makepkg work with freebsd ports in a jail, this saves effort of compiling outside the port tree and having to setup a lot of system variables to keep them prefixed in /usr/local to keep to bsd standards

the benefit to this is ease, and you can also override variables in pkgbuild such as ldflags, cflags, configure etc to set any options you otherwise would when building outside the port tree.

I know most people on this forum are anti-bsd, but this was a personal project for me, to change some of the things i disliked about freebsd.

zomfg amzo, seriously fucking stop fucking ur time with bsd serious just kill urself!!!! Or use linux 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Amzo View Post

First, the anti-BSD stuff were some childish rotten apples and definitely not representative. I think most here are rather fond of diversity. Really neat that you are going for a "real" FreeBSD base + updated init + pacman. That sets you apart from the "kFreeBSD" distros.

I hope you get a community expanding the AUR. This is after all one of the coolest things with Arch - anyone can contribute without asking permission first.

some stuff on the webpage:
                  Wiki: broken link
                  Download: still refers to Arch linux

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                    First, the anti-BSD stuff were some childish rotten apples and definitely not representative. I think most here are rather fond of diversity. Really neat that you are going for a "real" FreeBSD base + updated init + pacman. That sets you apart from the "kFreeBSD" distros.

I hope you get a community expanding the AUR. This is after all one of the coolest things with Arch - anyone can contribute without asking permission first.

some stuff on the webpage:
                    Wiki: broken link
                    Download: still refers to Arch linux

Yeah, I am aware somethings are working yet. I only setup the website yesterday, wasn't expecting it to be 'leaked' so to speak, but I guess it an't really be helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
                      Someone please tell the dev how pkg_add works.
                      Can it uninstall a package with all packages that depend on it? I tried it a few years ago, first with the binary packages, but then I realized that the binaries were severely out of date and not even synchronized with the ports tree, so I wanted to uninstall gtk, so that everything from xfce would get removed but I couldn't find in the documentation how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X