No announcement yet.

A New Project To Run Mac OS X Binaries On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the test suite not up to much? I get the impression from the project that the overwhelming majority of the effort (limited though the manpower is) goes into the invisible framework stuff underneath, but that there's an absolute dearth of applications and chrome.

There was a game developer recently-ish (I forget who they were...) who said they had used GNUstep to develop their racer. Like you, they commented that they found many bugs in the framework -- but also that they had fixed a large number and were subsequently able to use it quite happily for their work. It would be great if GNUstep were able to achieve some maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingfeather View Post
      Is the test suite not up to much? I get the impression from the project that the overwhelming majority of the effort (limited though the manpower is) goes into the invisible framework stuff underneath, but that there's an absolute dearth of applications and chrome.

There was a game developer recently-ish (I forget who they were...) who said they had used GNUstep to develop their racer. Like you, they commented that they found many bugs in the framework -- but also that they had fixed a large number and were subsequently able to use it quite happily for their work. It would be great if GNUstep were able to achieve some maturity.
      Yeah, that's what I intend to do now, but reporting bugs without the source code is slightly complicated when you always have to rule out a bug on your part That being said, the GNUstep guys have been very helpful and cooperative.

Comment

@LubosD

Did you happen to take a look at 'ringo' at all? http://gitorious.org/ringo

...which was a codebase that briefly appeared (with the aim of running Mac apps on linux) and was worked on, but hasn't seen any recent activity. It does look though, glancing at the commit log, that the developer did get at least _some_ code working/running; http://gitorious.org/ringo/ringo/commits/master

I'm not sure how relevant and/or applicable any of their code may be for your purpose, but you never know, it may be worth a look.

at any rate - your project certainly looks interesting and i've had a few looks at the darling website - so here is hoping you can get some useful working code, while also gaining some traction and interest from other developers/contributors!

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          @LubosD

Did you happen to take a look at 'ringo' at all? http://gitorious.org/ringo

...which was a codebase that briefly appeared (with the aim of running Mac apps on linux) and was worked on, but hasn't seen any recent activity. It does look though, glancing at the commit log, that the developer did get at least _some_ code working/running; http://gitorious.org/ringo/ringo/commits/master

I'm not sure how relevant and/or applicable any of their code may be for your purpose, but you never know, it may be worth a look.

at any rate - your project certainly looks interesting and i've had a few looks at the darling website - so here is hoping you can get some useful working code, while also gaining some traction and interest from other developers/contributors!

cheerz
          Hi, I exchanged a mail or two with the author of Ringo.

But he didn't really get far. He took maloader's code like me and then added a couple of other projects into the mix. But the idea of implementing Mach IPC support in a kernel module is his. I just wouldn't use NetBSD's code for that, because it is broken and would need porting (=rewriting).

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
            Hi, I exchanged a mail or two with the author of Ringo.
            Cool. I thought that it was very likely you were aware of ringo, but i thought i would mention it, just in case

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
            But he didn't really get far. He took maloader's code like me and then added a couple of other projects into the mix. But the idea of implementing Mach IPC support in a kernel module is his. I just wouldn't use NetBSD's code for that, because it is broken and would need porting (=rewriting).
            I see. Well, all i can say is that i wish you the best of luck on this project, as I think linux could benefit greatly from such a project.

take care

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              I see. Well, all i can say is that i wish you the best of luck on this project, as I think linux could benefit greatly from such a project.
              +1!

Also: asdfdsa

Comment

Originally posted by RayDonnelly View Post
                You can find a Linux arm-apple-darwin11-codesign_allocate with my cross compilers:

I've never tried it, having only run stuff on jailbroken ithings.

I think you just made my Christmas, been searching for something like this for a couple months now.

wonder if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by conathan View Post
                  I think you just made my Christmas, been searching for something like this for a couple months now.

wonder if it works.
                  Great. Please let me know how you get on.

My email is mingw.android at gmail.com

Ray.

Comment

Cocotron

Sorry to bring back something already mentioned before, but LugosD, have you ever had a look on cocotron?
                    - http://www.cocotron.org/

Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                    X