No announcement yet.

Clang'ed FreeBSD: Builds Quicker, Uses Way Less RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love freebsd and their shenanigans. i sucks as a desktop OS but they are a thorn in the side of gnu-zealots.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      i love freebsd and their shenanigans. i sucks as a desktop OS but they are a thorn in the side of gnu-zealots.
      natch, as FreeBSD is intended as a SERVER OS not a desktop OS

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Under FreeBSD installing software from the ports tree means compiling it (guess where Gentoo got the portage idea from). Compiler performance is more important there. Binary performance seldom makes a real life difference.
        Exactly, this is a big plus for FreeBSD users. As for the performance gap it's way overblown in most cases. I have compared two FreeBSD 9 system, one with ports compiled with mostly gcc46 the other with clang. The result: I found no noticeable difference in performance in all the applications I use except for the most CPU intensive tasks I run which is ... compiling!

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          It is completely useless to measure compiling times or memory usage for clang while compiling.
          Try compiling libreoffice - anything that can speed up that beast is a bonus in my book!

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          natch, as FreeBSD is intended as a SERVER OS not a desktop OS
          This isn't quite true. That's certainly where is gets most of its use though. With the new intel drivers and intel KMS support they're making an effort to become more appealing as a desktop OS. They've got very recent drivers and libraries in their testing branch, and I would expect to see them merged to mainline in the next couple of months (hopefully in time for 9.2).
          Last edited by archibald; 06 September 2012, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Increased compiling speed is 'nice to have' but it's not that important.

I too run gentoo and desktop and servers. And while compiling takes a lot of time sometimes, it doesn't matter. Say Clang is 25% faster, which its not, compiling libreoffice now takes about 30-45 minutes on my phenom x6. I'm not sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to finish. So if it's done 10 minutes faster, while nice, I probably never notice it.

As for ram usage during compilation, while I'm for memory efficiency in running programms etc, very strongly in favor. But during compilation, who cares. Really, who cares.

Comment

I was compiling libreoffice (and the rest of the programs I had installed) on a celeron (a low spec one supported by 3GB of RAM), so on that laptop a 10% speedup would have saved me about an hour. With that said, I'm recompiling things left right and centre to try to help test the new Xorg packages - basically if I want to install something I need to compile it. People who aren't tracking the development branch don't need to do this though, so for them it's unlikely to be an issue.

I suppose one of their concerns could be how much development time is spent waiting for things to compile; from that point of view, anything that allows developers to spend more time working and less time waiting is probably a good thing for them.

Comment

crApple propaganda

What a stupid propaganda. Clang disadvantages advertised as advantages. It uses less ram and compiles faster, because it produces much less optimized code. Moronix..

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  Funny, because nobody cares and it's Linux and GNU the first class citizens. Better think about bsd zealots.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Under FreeBSD installing software from the ports tree means compiling it (guess where Gentoo got the portage idea from). Compiler performance is more important there. Binary performance seldom makes a real life difference.
                    Ahh, I had forgotten that. So, what you're saying that FreeBSD users build the code, but don't actually run it much? Wonderful.

Comment

Clang still produces code that runs 1200% slower than GCC. meh

Comment

Working...
                      X