• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pallidus
    replied
    why are all these new systems coming out:

haiku, morphos etc

based on, and, backwards compatible with something else

why not start from scratch with a highly optimized system for newer hardware where you wouldn't have to make concessions or care about compatibility with some system from the 90's.

Leave a comment:

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
    Real life is still beating me. To be honest, I got a little burned out. (doing too much in too small of a timeframe)
    Being burned out + designing a new hardware accelerated OpenGL api doesn't mix :P

At the moment I'm fighting to get some Haiku patches checked into the build system used by VirtualBox, and getting our GSOC VirtualBox support pushed mainline.
    Take your good time and allow yourself some serious breathing space, it's easy to get super-enhusiastic for projects like these and then burn-out and start feeling like you've failed because you can't live up to what is almost always a very unrealistic view of how much time something will take, this is why I'm always pacing myself at work (sure hope the boss doesn't read this!)

Also don't feel that just because it's a bounty that there's some pressure or some crap, dude, it's Haiku, Valve time got nothing on us

Take care!

Leave a comment:

• kallisti5
    replied
    Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Hey, how's the gallium stuff coming along, real life still beating you with a stick or have you've found some spare time?
    Real life is still beating me. To be honest, I got a little burned out. (doing too much in too small of a timeframe)
    Being burned out + designing a new hardware accelerated OpenGL api doesn't mix :P

At the moment I'm fighting to get some Haiku patches checked into the build system used by VirtualBox, and getting our GSOC VirtualBox support pushed mainline.

Leave a comment:

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
    (source of info... i ported the latest mainline Mesa3D to Haiku)
    Hey, how's the gallium stuff coming along, real life still beating you with a stick or have you've found some spare time?

Leave a comment:

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    Originally posted by Markore View Post
    I actually do not understand neither benefits of Haiku over other systems,
    nor technologically not as a being fit to certain use case.
    Well, compared to say Linux the advantage would be that it's directly developed from top to bottom as a desktop OS which means that things like standard GUI, standard sound system, standard application API comes right out of the box. If this indeed is an advantage is of course up to each and everyone to decide, some people crave the flexibility that Linux offers where it's a kernel and you just add specific components you want, others (perhaps primary in a desktop setting) prefers a readymade fully integrated environment which is what Haiku offers.

Personally I like both solutions as they have their relative strengths and weaknessess. Also as an old Beos afficionado I likely have a slightly less than objective attachment to Haiku (rose-tinted glasses and all that).

Leave a comment:

• kallisti5
    replied
    Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Variation is an important part of evolution. Thus I am happy about every other OS out there. Now if they would get mesa/gallium3d ported I might be even tempted to try it out.
    The latest Mesa3D compiles for Haiku... hardware rendering isn't there yet though. (Haiku currently uses swrast) I wouldn't expect hardware rendering until post-R1 though.

(source of info... i ported the latest mainline Mesa3D to Haiku)

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Well, when Haiku was initiated, the BeOS design was the best out there. Since then other operating systems caught up (eg. in multi-threading) or even surpassed it (composite window management). PulseAudio is basically BeOS? sound system done wrong but the idea of eg. per application volume settings originated there.

Last time I checked most Haiku devs only used it in a VM and developing it was just a hobby. Haiku is now 12 or so years old. I don't believe that any Haiku developer thinks that Haiku would be useful anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Variation is an important part of evolution. Thus I am happy about every other OS out there. Now if they would get mesa/gallium3d ported I might be even tempted to try it out.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    I don't know if its more advanced in any area than other OSes but they do it for fun and because they can and for that only they get my internets.

Also they have a more unified approach compared to Linux. They don't have something like linux>Xorg>DE
    Last edited by 89c51; 29 August 2012, 10:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Markore
    replied
    Use case and Haiku point of being.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X