Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retina MacBook Pro Graphics: OS X Is Okay, But Linux Breaks

Phoronix: Retina MacBook Pro Graphics: OS X Is Okay, But Linux Breaks

While the Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display is beautiful having a 15-inch display running at a resolution of 2880 x 1800 and 220 pixels-per-inch, Linux isn't ready for this high-performance, high pixel density notebook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't give a flying fuck about anything that comes from those criminals (fruity shitheads on acid).

Comment

Surely there are more interesting things to look at on a MacBook than Xonotic framerates?

Things like icon scaling, font quality, desktop performance, etc?

Comment

How looks and behaves Gnome 3 and other desktops on that resolution? There is some screenshoot?

Comment

As said in the article, the more interesting information will come once the new ad campaigns start on Phoronix -- since the ads so far this month are shit and so if I publish the rMBP details right now, I'll just lose money when factoring in the Apple hardware costs.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            As said in the article, the more interesting information will come once the new ad campaigns start on Phoronix -- since the ads so far this month are shit and so if I publish the rMBP details right now, I'll just lose money when factoring in the Apple hardware costs.
            My ADBlock must really annoy you....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Have you tried with text/image based ads? You'll earn more this way with all the flash block and adblock users we are.

Comment

Michael, I enjoy your benchmarks (and software) as much as the next Linux user, but why would you assume that paying for overpriced Apple hardware is justified by "much sought after Linux hardware testing"? Whenever I buy hardware I check for Linux support first and the ability to replace components is a close second. Shiny gear I can't maintain myself doesn't interest me. Have you thought about creating a benchmarking site only for Apple victims?

Comment

"The Linux desktop isn't properly ready for this high pixel density"

How do you figure? I've been using high DPI displays on Linux for years and never really had too much trouble. I currently use a laptop that's 13.1" at 1600x900, which is 140dpi. That model has a 1080p option, which is 168dpi, and I know quite a few people use that. A while back I used a Vaio P for quite a while, which is 222dpi - slightly higher than the Retina Macbook - and didn't really have any trouble with that either.

It's a bit more difficult to find the text scaling options in GNOME 3 than in GNOME 2, but they're there and they work well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                    Have you tried with text/image based ads? You'll earn more this way with all the flash block and adblock users we are.
                    That's actually bullshit. I've tried text/image ads and they earn nothing in comparison to Flash ads even when factoring adblock differences. But I'm also experimenting with serving only text-based results/graphs for those who have adblock enabled and are not registered/logged-into an OpenBenchmarking.org account.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X