• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Apple OS X Mountain Lion vs. Linux

Apple OS X Mountain Lion vs. Linux

Phoronix: Apple OS X Mountain Lion vs. Linux

For those that somehow didn't hear yet, Apple released OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" on Wednesday...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NjY

• fuzz
    replied
    For those that somehow didn't hear yet, Apple released OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" on Wednesday.
    Because everyone cares about Apple? I hope they die in a couch fire!

Leave a comment:

• frantaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    What I'd like to know is what is broken/fixed in this new version. In Lion the Samba changes were a big issue that sparked lots of user frustration.
    So far what I've seen is that people are having trouble on 10.7 with binaries compiled on 10.8

I'm still building so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Michael,

I want you to know that I'm extremely jealous about your rMBP. I want one, but am holding out (and preparing my wallet) for a 2012 iMac and a Panasonic WT50.

Gimme gimme gimme!

The consensus seems to be that it's a wonderful piece of tech, but that the display really pushes the limits of the GPU(s) in a number of scenarios. ML was supposed to resolve some of the teething issues.

The only recommendation I have regarding its use is to disable AA when running 3D applications at full resolution. Since there's no aliasing to begin with, it's nice to get back that 15-40% that AA takes away.

F

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    What I'd like to know is what is broken/fixed in this new version. In Lion the Samba changes were a big issue that sparked lots of user frustration.

Leave a comment:

• dcc24
    replied
    Another terrible article from Phoronix... I'm not even surprised anymore...

The title is extremely misleading! You imply that you have, you know, actual benchmarks. The article is 90% link-spam and *content* that can easily be summarized with "there will benchmarks soon", which is a tweet, not an article.

I don't know why I even bother...

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Get ready for quite a lot of work setting up Linux on the Retina. Some people in the Arch forums had trouble, GregKH had trouble and he is no ordinary user.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    As a user of both I can't wait!

What I would love to see is a review of OpenCL performance across various platforms. Systems without GPU acceleration should be tested also to get an idea of how systems really benefit from OpenCL.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Feature comparison

Now that we have 8 core, 16 gb RAM, and fast SSD, then if one system is a couple percent faster in some benchmark, it's not noticeable and quite unimportant.

So it would be nice with a feature comparison.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Three-way comparision

It would be nice with a three-way comparison of Ubuntu 12.10, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and Windows 8.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X