X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Most companies that develope open source software use permissive licences like Apache and BSD. It makes developing open source software easier and therefor more compelling. So yes, it kinda makes sense.
    You can license under LGPL and dynlink your blob to the open code.
    You can license under GPL and call open code from your blob.
    You can dual/tripple/quad/etc license the project in GPL/../... This will assure the code is still protected from being closed up and unlawfully used by competition.
    You can just license in GPL and gain income from implementation, coding, adaptation, sponsoring.

Or you can license in BSD - this would strip the right of its openness.
    Yes, companies use BSD, Apache etc. But not "most" and it does not change the fact I mentioned a sentence ago. Anyway, you are free to use whatever license you like, it is these BSD BullS lies that make me angry.

As of GPL, it is highly compatible license, as long as you don't close up things, you are legit. It was designed as a license to protect freedom, not only to advertise it. We have BSD for that.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    I have idea. Why bother, just write "Code for our proprietary systems for free" and you are set. At least you won't lie
    Most companies that develope open source software use permissive licences like Apache and BSD. It makes developing open source software easier and therefor more compelling. So yes, it kinda makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Be a very commercially friendly code base by using non-viral licenses where possible.
    Commercial/Free != Opensource/Proprietary.

Try to become an incubator for students who wish to contribute via GSoC and internships.
    Not incubator. Brainwasher.

These guys are so open, they will strip you out of your weapons to protect your freedom and will call this true freedom.

"Non viral" zomg Any BSD is as viral as it gets, because it is incubator for proprietary blobs.

I have idea. Why bother, just write "Code for our proprietary systems for free" and you are set. At least you won't lie

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    openbsd's homepage really takes the cake on out of touch nerds. they make debian look like channel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X