Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magenta Pairs Linux With Darwin/BSD, Is Like iOS

Phoronix: Magenta Pairs Linux With Darwin/BSD, Is Like iOS

Project Magenta has come about recently as a new operating system project that uses the Linux kernel with a Darwin/BSD user-space. Additionally, the project claims full binary compatibility with Apple's iOS 5.0 platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool project

Comment

What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.

In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding just WTF the purpose of this is....???
      And in fact, the developer of this project seems to share the confusion:
      Originally posted by Christina of Magenta
      This is a very weird project. You may ask, why am I doing this? The answer is: no fucking idea
      LMAO!
      Guess she's having fun, but don't expect much to come of it.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.
        That's pretty unlikely anytime soon I imagine you would hit some pretty big problems with other frameworks / software in MacOSX - i would think coreaudio and Quartz (among others) would cause potentially huge problems.

Originally posted by droidhacker
        In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding just WTF the purpose of this is....???
        A learning process, maybe...?

Originally posted by droidhacker
        LMAO!
        Yup, that was some funny shit, i also laughed pretty hard when i visited her site - i did appreciate her candor

I don't think this project will grow into anything (by that i mean, in use by people). Other Apple/Darwin related open-source projects never really got off the ground, anyway. ie: things like OpenDarwin or PureDarwin.... But it's interesting, nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD

Comment

What is this good for?
            Why should I care about this?

Will anything from this project be pushed upstreams?

Comment

It would be nice if this was compatible enough to allow the creation of an emulator so that development of iOS apps on linux would be much more feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                It would be nice if this was compatible enough to allow the creation of an emulator so that development of iOS apps on linux would be much more feasible.
                There is a kickstarter for an iOS emulator called iEmu that uses QEMU.

I don't know a whole lot about it, i read about it not too long ago (you can google it, there should be some recent articles).

Magenta isn't meant to be an emulator from what I have seen, it's substituting the IOS kernel with Linux, there aren't plans (from what her website says) to implement some of Apple's software stack (so it can't be used for iOS development) and it only runs on ARM hardware.

Where as iEMU would allow you to run an iOS VM on your standard (x86/x86_64) Linux Desktop.

Comment

It's being worked on by a single woman? Maybe Michael will need curtains after all

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD
                    I've wondered about this as well.
                    Apple has really great docs, possibly as good as msft.
                    Add to this someone porting iokit to linux and then you have something of real interest (though I wonder if reimplementing cocoa would be legal).

Comment

Working...
                    X