Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS 12.05 Brings Interesting New Features

Phoronix: Genode OS 12.05 Brings Interesting New Features

Genode OS, the popular open-source framework OS, released version 12.05 and it includes several new features like a brand new USB stack, support for the GCC tool-chain, and improved media support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Genode is popular? So, uh, who uses it?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
      Genode is popular? [...]
      I'm wondering about this as well. Even wikipedia doesn't know it

Comment

Admittedly, being involved with the project, I was also a bit (positively) surprised by this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman Feske View Post
          Admittedly, being involved with the project, I was also a bit (positively) surprised by this statement.
          Has x86_64 support for running Linux been fixed yet? In the past it wouldn't compile.

Comment

We compile and run Genode on x86_64 (using both the Linux kernel and the Fiasco.OC kernel) on a daily basis. So you might give it another try? If you run into problems, I'd pleased to hear from you via our issue tracker (on GitHub) or the project's mailing list.

Cheers
            Norman

Comment

We compile and run Genode on x86_64 (using both the Linux kernel and the Fiasco.OC kernel) on a daily basis. So you might give it another try? If you run into problems, I'd pleased to hear from you via our issue tracker (on GitHub) or the project's mailing list.

Cheers
              Norman
              What I meant is that Fiasco.OC 64-bit compiles without errors as does the Genode framework but the 64-bit Linux kernel, to use in the Genode framework for running Linux programs (the one patched for Genode/Fiasco.OC) doesn't compile. It works if you configure the kernel 32-bit but not 64-bit. At least last time I tried it which was like 3 months ago. On the mailing list, I didn't ask but somone else asked and was told that 64-bit Linux kernel wasn't working yet. That was like 3 months ago.
              Last edited by linux5850; 01 June 2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. This limitation still persists. But it is actually a limitation the L4Linux kernel rather than Genode. L4Linux is a project conducted independently of Genode. It is developed by the OS group at TU Dresden. We adapted this work so that the L4Linux kernel can be integrated with Genode. But our version ultimately inherits the limitations of the upstream project.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. This limitation still persists. But it is actually a limitation the L4Linux kernel rather than Genode. L4Linux is a project conducted independently of Genode. It is developed by the OS group at TU Dresden. We adapted this work so that the L4Linux kernel can be integrated with Genode. But our version ultimately inherits the limitations of the upstream project.
                  One thing you might consider doing to get people interested in Genode is to compose a list of software that will compile natively in the Genode environment, e.g. Firefox, QtDesigner, VLC media player, etc...

That way more people will start trying it. Most people care most about being able to play their videos/music and web browsing (preferably Firefox). If Genode can accommodate at least that natively then I think many more people will get involved.

Comment

You are certainly right. But those applications aren't there yet. I think that the most sensible intermediate step from the perspective of the Genode developers is to use the system for pursuing their development work. Therefore, native support for Unix software is deemed most important at this point. This is why the current development is focused on enabling these tools rather than typical end-user applications.

That said, please keep in mind that even though the developers aspire to use the system as general-purpose OS, the primary point of the framework is the creation of special-purpose operating systems. In this domain, the number of ready-to-use components and libraries is of most interest. The components readily available as of now are listed at http://genode.org/documentation/components

Comment

Working...
                    X