X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    Linux lacks simplicity and stability in some cases.
    Nope. It's rock stable compared to other operating systems and it's very simple and flexible. Just use proper distribution.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    What's the old saying? Jack of all trades ... master of none?
    The *BSD are horrible for desktop in general (you might use it, but you'll need some extra effort on your part, and stuff won't work like it works on linux), but for servers it's a whole another story
    Why would *BSD be a better server than Linux?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    Linux doesn't really focus on anything, and that's one of its problems. It wants to work well on servers, desktop systems and embedded systems alike, with the very same codebase.
    That's a pure bullshit. It works excellent on servers, embedded systems, HPC, desktops etc. It's not surprising it has the highest market share in nearly every market.

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    So, the same what Linux offers.
    Linux lacks simplicity and stability in some cases.

Leave a comment:

• vertexSymphony
    replied
    Linux doesn't really focus on anything, and that's one of its problems. It wants to work well on servers, desktop systems and embedded systems alike, with the very same codebase.
    What's the old saying? Jack of all trades ... master of none?
    The *BSD are horrible for desktop in general (you might use it, but you'll need some extra effort on your part, and stuff won't work like it works on linux), but for servers it's a whole another story

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Windows also runs on smartphones, desktop systems and servers.
    iOS and OS X are kinda same and they on smartphones, tablets, desktop computer, and they had an abandoned attempt at servers.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    It's better to focus on single thing and put all the efforts into it. When it goes bad just fork it.
    Then things just evolve in one direction.
    In nature things mutate and evolve in different directions.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    So, the same what Linux offers.
    Exactly my thoughts...

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I've heard that you shouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket.

I like that there are more than one free open source software operating system.
    If GNOME goes bad, I can goto KDE, if Linux goes bad I can goto BSD, etc.
    It's better to focus on single thing and put all the efforts into it. When it goes bad just fork it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X